Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 July 2008
This is a great text book, and you really will learn to read New Testament Greek in very short order, by working through it diligently, a little each day. I found this was a good text to teach a twelve year old boy from as well. The look on his face when, within a few hours of study, he was translating a passage from the New Testament, was priceless! It starts of "experientially", you listen and learn while you read. Grammar is introduced later. This man, as well as being a Greek scholar, has really studied the fine art of how to teach, and I'm currently enjoying his Hebrew primer, which is just as good.

If you know no, or little Greek, and simply want to read the NT, then this is the book for you. When you've finished you'll be able to read the NT, with the help of a lexicon... and if you want to go on to study classical or modern Greek you'll have made a good start.

Probably the best text book I've ever seen on Koine Greek.
on 24 October 2011
I had already followed the JACT Reading Greek course to the halfway point with the OU which is quite hard going. I decided to try this book as I wanted to see how different Koine Greek is from Classical and I wanted to consolidate my learning. I was able to race through the early chapters but it soon gets more challenging. You need a Greek text of the New Testament and an English translation to complement the book but these are freely available on the internet. I have to say that NT Greek is more straighforward that Athenian plays or Plato or Homer (for sure!). But it is still a thrill to be able to read a historical text just with the light support that the book provides. Dobson has succeeded in producing a book that is fun to learn, makes you feel like you're making progress and is cheap into the bargain. The CD is also useful - it has a lot of material to help your pronunciation. And the book comes in a sturdy hard cover which makes it great for commuting. There's no excuse for not buying this book!
on 16 August 2012
I have been teaching myself New Testament Greek for a year now and this was the first book I purchased. John Dobson offers some very helpful advice and initially I found the book extremely encouraging. The fact that it comes with an audio CD was initially helpful and makes this book very good value. He does not follow the normal more systematic approach to learning a language but his approach is more inductive. I would rate this as an excellent book but have not given it 5 stars because initially I got lost after about 17 chapters. I would have preferred there to be summary lists of vocabulary at the end of each chapter so that I could check that I knew the words so far covered. The index of words at the end of the book refers back into the book rather than giving a brief definition, and this makes it time consuming to look up words. Rather than give up after 17 chapters, I purchased The Elements of New Testament Greek by Jeremy Duff. I successfully worked my way through this book to the end and highly recommend it. Duff's systematic approach suited my learning style better. I then came back to John Dobson's book and worked my way the whole way through it. This time I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot.

I summary, I highly recommend this book but be aware that it may not suit your learning style, at least initially. This means that you may need to get another more traditional book to supplement it.
on 30 March 2009
First chapter is great and then its a steep learning curve and a little harder than the book suggests. However, the format is easy to grasp and the order in which you learn the various features of the language makes sense. My main gripe is that the transliteration featured in chapters 1 and 2 dissapears after that so there is no way of quickly checking your pronounciation. Have I spelled that correctly!!
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2007
I discovered John Dobson amazing way of teaching through this book, and well.. what can I say that would sound realistic ..

It is by far the best available textbook for discovering New Testament Greek . The layout is clear, easy to use and tne text and explanations are very easy to understand ..

This edition comes with a CD ROM, ever so useful for grasping the sounds of Greek and learning ..

and also,, it is simply very well written and well done

It sure does make the task of learning a language as tricky as Ancient Greek easy.. (get ready though..NT Greek has a LOT of grammar ..) and even if you intend to learn NT Greek on your own .. This book will definitely deliver what you expect .. with smiles and fun along the way

a must buy
on 4 June 2009
Having heard the merits of being able to read the Bible in greek, I thought i'd have a go at learning it. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought this book and wasn't sure if it was any good. I've now been through 9 of the 52 lessons and I am impressed! I am not particularly accomplished when it comes to languages, but so far, I have found John Dobson's book and style really helpful. I don't know how it compares to other resources, but I am surprised at how much greek I can already read and much to my wife's annoyance - this book goes everywhere with me.
on 28 May 2012
At last a real helping hand for the home learner. A pleasant book and a no-nonsense CD. It really gets you started on the vital skill of looking at Greek with a concentration on the vital word endings. Someime it is helpful, indeed probably essential, to learn paradigms and word lists but this method uses just a few items of grammar, syntax and vocabulary at each stage and makes sure they sink in. Thoroughly recommended.
on 14 September 2009
Great product and highly recommended to anyone who has sought out a book on learning new testament greek. This does it. Of course, this won't make you a biblical greek expert, but it will give you a good start, and you feel like you are learning something from the get go, unlike many other self teaching books that spend the first 5 chapters waffling on about this and that before you even begin to learn the subject at hand.
on 29 November 2009
This is a wonderfully user friendly and progressive way to approach what seems at first to be a daunting subject. From letter recognition to reading reasonably well, this book gently guides and encourages with no sense of pressure or haste. It puts the reader/learner in control and is invaluable for anyone with an interest in the Greek New Testament for historical or theological reasons. It is not necessary to know anything whatsoever about the language before opening the book and progress is surprisingly swift. The later edition with CD Rom has the advantage that you can learn by sound, which is our natural early learning method in language, and that the content itself has been revised and improved in the light of experience gained from the use of the text with students. I have never encountered a better "beginning" to the subject and I would recommend the same author's Biblical Hebrew volume, which possesses the same excellent demystifying quality.
on 14 October 2011
I am quite amazed with this book

I have not studied Greek or any other languages
Yet within 20 mins I was able to read a few basic words
with ease

it is well set out and there are lessons that help
get you to understand what you have learned

In my opinion if you want to learn to read Greek you should take a look at this book first.

I will be getting this authors Learn Biblical Hebrew [With CDROM] book as well