Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 July 2014
I bought the book as it seemed to be the in coaching book to read. I made a good decision! As a youth coach who has done it for over six years starting out as a coaching dad I have always loved what I do.
I've never been a great player and only played amateur locally. Coaching has been something I love since I started and still is.
I've recently took a step back and started again at u8's. Lost my way a bit as a coach.
After reading this it has given me food for thought and a hunger to better myself even more.
I might stay with my our u8's but will strive to make them a great bunch of players and human beings.
Thanks for the read Gary
Mike Lindsay.
on 26 January 2014
This is a fantastic book for coaches of all levels. It's a really easy read (a good thing!) and packed full of useful info and tips on how to get the most out of your coaching. The topics focussed on look fairly high-level at first, but don't be fooled - the sessions described are of high quality with good progressions. I've applied many of the sessions and tips in this book now and have been astonished at the difference it has made. Thoroughly recommended.
on 15 January 2016
A very useful and informative book. What I particularly like about it is its practicality. The author obviously has something to communicate and his experience shows clearly by the content on the pages. Very glad I bought it for coaching some under 12s.
on 12 October 2014
Superb detailed book. Ideal not only for the new progressing coach, but also for the established and involved coach that may need the direction or possibly missed detail. Very interestingly set out chapters. Recommended
on 9 May 2014
this book is okay, I don't really know what I was expecting, its a personal view and alines to the FA model of a 4 corner approach to football, technical, tactical, physical and phsycological. There are more informative books out there. A bit of a rip off really.
on 1 September 2014
Being a FA Youth Mod Level 2 Coach and working towards FA Level 2, I thought I would give this book a read to see if it could help me work towards my Level 2 but also if I could pick up any tips or ideas to incorporate into my work. Fortunately for me this book hit the nail on the head on how football or "soccer" should be coached.

There are 10 Chapters covering all aspects of coaching some chapters aimed directly to you as a coach and others on drills for working with your team, some great starting points to help you develop your own sessions from, as long as you stick to the principles. This plants great ideas in you head of how you can use it with your team or teams. I coach U7's and seniors and this book has given me some sound understanding of how to apply different elements to the two totally different age groups I work with.
Chapter Four - The Non-Negotiables, is a must have for all coaches. The information in this chapter basically lays out your foundation for every session, if you stick to the "non-negotiables" you won't go far wrong in the coaching world.
The book uses a four dimensional approach to coaching which is very similar to how the FA courses are run, so anyone thinking about or currently taking the courses will understanding how Gary covers the four areas in his sessions.
Must read for all coaches. It doesn't give you all the answers to your teams problems but gives you the tools to help guide you and your team to solving them. Gary Curneen, breaks down each chapter into bite size manageable chunks for you to digest and implement into your own coaching philosophy - top coach.
on 17 December 2014
Many coaches pick up these books & immediately flick to the coaching sessions. Even if there were none in here, and there are, this book spells out some valuable lessons for the modern coach. Establishing the right environment, relationships etc are central themes and, whether coach, potential coach or player this book should be on your "wish list".
on 6 August 2015
An excellent book that really does live up to its title. Gary's views and ideas are that of a modern coach and this book highlights that. I found that it chanced my way of thinking about certain aspects of coaching and helped me to re-evaluated what what I was currently doing. It has some great ideas for drills on certain topics but also got me thinking about how I can change sessions I put on to better suit the teams needs. Highly recommend this to any coaches of all levels.
on 18 October 2014
A fantastic book, highly recommend for all coaches whether grass roots, or pro. A great insight to what is required for the modern day coach, looking at a variety of different areas backed up with excellent drills, and an in depth discussion of how to set up and execute perfectly. Up there with one of the best books I've read.
on 10 March 2014
This is a great book and I can't complement it enough. £10 well spent which sometimes we take for granted (like me with alcohol :D).

"Four Dimensional Approach", Technical, Tactical, Physical and Mental.

There are 10 chapters with the first 4 warming us up on how we can improve ourselves as a coach and explaining how training has changed. How traditional training can be too rigid and how modern training should be identical to match day for example high tempo, using time wisely and how to stimulate your players and not bore them basically. But all in all, how to modernise you and your coaching methods.

Chapters 5-9 pre-match, attacking, defending, transitional play and counter attacking. These are all drill based chapters and start with explanations on how the four dimensions play a part and what standards you need to set and what to look out for. Then there are diagrams showing and explaining how each drill works and how to progress them while offering coaching points, all of which are easily understood and ending with a summary on the chapter. (My favourite chapter being transitional, which works on how to prevent players switching off and how to recover quickly when possession is gained or lost)

Finally chapter 10 ends the book with again on how to help yourself. Dealing with setbacks, how to support yourself and above all how to enjoy what you're doing.

I use this book to coach under 11s but it would work with higher age groups aswell. If you're a coach looking for a book to improve your training sessions, to improve yourself and to help you and the kids to look forward to training buy this book, it really is a fantastic read. The corner pages on mine are already curling up due to overuse :) (Level One Cert Coach)