on 11 August 2013
I am a novice gardener and have just acquired an allotment so I needed some help. I bought this book to give me ideas about arranging my plot and I have found it very useful. It is not too helpful on the details of specific problems with vegetables and planting etc and the illustrations are a bit old fashioned, but it is still a pleasing book.
on 23 February 2015
Bought has a present for my sister. Came within a few days of delivery and she is delighted with the book, has clear illustration, now is looking forward to seeing the results.
on 18 May 2013
This is a well written, beautifully presented book. Very useful for a new or experienced gardener alike.I would recommend this book to anyone looking for ideas to create their garden.
on 6 December 2014
Has given me so much inspiration for the garden
on 14 February 2017
As a fairly novice gardener, I've been overwhelmed by the huge variety of plants and advice (much of it contradictory) on offer.

This book has been by far my favourite for giving me a practical way of deciding what to plant in my garden, it is easy to follow and pleasantly illustrated (if I want glossy photos showing exactly what the plants look like, I just search online).

For my first raised beds, I am going to follow a couple of 'module' plans exactly, but more confident gardeners should be able to mix it up. If you prefer a more natural look, the regimented blocks approach probably won't be for you, but it is designed for a functional plot.

Modules include vegetables, cut flowers, plants to attract predators (e.g. ladybirds), foliage for cutting, etc. I particularly like that each module has less than 10 different plants, letting you make the most of a packet of seeds, but again, you can mix and match between modules or swap out any plants for similar ones if you want. I found the planting plans in other books (e.g. Alan Titchmarsh's series) quite tricky as there were so many plants in them, although his books contain more general information about gardening.
on 26 April 2014
Not really very inspirational and does not really give any good ideas for planting. Actually, not very useful at all.
on 22 July 2013
This book would suit an experienced gardener or someone just setting out if you want ideas for how to get the most out of your available space. It suggests planting plans for modules 1x2m which should provide enough of each vegetable/fruit for two people over a season. It then suggests different combinations of these modules depending on what type of cook you are (e.g. jams vs herbs for sauces). It also has lots of useful general advice which is perhaps less necessary for the more experienced gardener but interesting nonetheless. Plans are beautifully coloured designs which I enjoyed poring over.
on 13 March 2013
I was given a copy of Planting Plans for your Kitchen Garden by Holly Farrell as a gift and have found it very informative and inspiring. The modular approach to growing fruit, veg, herbs and flowers seems ideally suited to my needs; it has helped me be selective as I have limited space. The text is very informative without being overly technical and the plans are clear and easy to follow. I have already built the modules and am eagerly awaiting some warmer weather to get planting and sowing. I highly recommend this book and am very grateful to the friend who gave me my copy; it contains all the information I need.
on 17 September 2013
Really enjoyed looking at this book. It has different themes for kitchen gardens and is really well illustrated and simple to follow. I have not actually done my kitchen garden yet but this book is very inspiring and has lots of useful tips. It's very user-friendly for a semi-beginner gardener.
on 25 February 2014
I think this is a great book, I have designed my own kitchen garden and ones for other people, and i still found some interesting ideas in here. I like the way it included more than just the usual fruit and veg, like herbs and cutting flowers