on 18 May 2014
Well, this book was recommended by my son's bass guitar teacher who has an MA (Hons) degree in music, so it couldn't come more highly recommended. Delivery was excellent, less than a week and in perfect pristine condition. I would recommend this book to any budding bass player and the supplier for his first class delivery.
on 18 July 2013
It's ironic that discipline is being introduced into what is quite often an undisciplined style of music - but it works! In some ways the whole idea of 'grades' in rock music is contrary to the spirit of the genre. But if you are serious about learning to play well, and understanding what you are playing and why it works then this series of books seem to have got it right. I am very impressed with the standard of presentation, and the effort that has gone into creating a nicely structured short introduction to professional level bass playing. Looking forward to completing grade 1 and moving to grade 2.
on 25 November 2014
Rockschool Bass book very quickly and in time for my next bass lesson. I am very glad to have such a lovely book with the CD for the pieces and clear music scores. Some of the pieces I already have started on with a photocopy but it is good to have my own book now with the added information in it to pass the grade 1 exam.
on 2 September 2013
I've tried many bass books on and off for a few years now and never really stuck at it, I tried this following a recommendation from a friend.

The book is easy to read and the backing tracks work a treat, the songs are not popular but match the style of various types of music.

As a new beginner I'd recommend this, there are videos online of different people playing the tracks that I find supports with technique.
on 19 October 2015
A fantastic structure to use the bass lines and riffs in a very practical and realistic way. I especially enjoyed the improvisation section once I understood the principles involved.

If you intend to take the grade exams then you really do need to also buy the Companion Guide and Technical Handbook although they do cover all 9 levels from Debut to Grade 8.
on 13 June 2016
After many bass lessons I felt I was getting nowhere. The Rock school level 1 give you the help you need but you still need a tutor and the exams are strict. The problem lies with the cd where the bass lines are buried under thrashing lead guitars. The mix is all wrong. I bought an equaliser to hear the bass on the teacks more clearly along with bass boost headphones.
on 7 March 2015
Love these new Rock School Bass and Guitar books - the original series failed to live up to it's potential, this new series is outstanding and I use these books almost daily in my private teaching...
on 11 April 2015
Good but for grade 1 I was expecting a less difficult learning curve .
on 1 April 2014
My son is learning Bass now at school - this is the book which the teacher has recommended.
Seems a fine way to start.
on 11 October 2012
Great way to learn some popular music in very short time.I really like the layout with the written music and tabs.