on 24 February 2013
Really enjoyed the book and the unique story world that has been created, just wish it hadn't ended when it did. There are so many questions left unanswered. I hope the next book deals more with Penglass and the Alder. That said, Micah Grey is a very interesting character, haven't read any books with someone like it before, and I'm totally rooting for him despite what he's been through so far. I think I know who Drystan turns out to be, but will have to be patient (at least I hope we'll find out in the next book, there's only so many unanswered mysteries I can take!). I don't want to give away spoilers, so I'll just say that I highly recommend reading the book, but if you're not good with cliffhanger endings maybe wait until the second book is out as well and read them back-to-back.
on 23 June 2014
Pantomime is a gripping tale of Gene, the rich daughter of aristocracy, who runs away to the circus and becomes Micah. The setting is Victorian-esque, with a little bit of magic. Micah meets the wonderfully diverse and mysterious cast of RH Ragona's circus, and realises that there is much more afoot in the circus than it appeared. But can Micah truly make a new life in the circus without anybody discovering the secrets? Micah has much more to hide than just being a runaway aristocrat...
I honestly love this book so much, I guarantee you have never read anything like this before.
on 6 February 2013
This is a very unusual YA book - it tackles some often taboo subject matter head on. What it is not, is a fantasy-by-numbers story. It is a very carefully thought out tale, with an array of interesting and three dimensional characters.
Stylistically, Lam is a very considered writer, and her story is delivered with grace and elegance. Some of her phrasing is pure poetry, and the descriptions of the world she creates give a very visual depiction; it's easy to visualise the setting of her novel.
If you like interesting and creative stories, this is one for you. It's advertised as YA, but I think it is suitable for all.
on 25 October 2017
It took me a while to really immerse myself in the story. However all the characters are fantastic and the plot gets more and more interesting by the chapter. The last few chapters I was completely focused and I could barely blink. Very emotional ending.
on 9 January 2014
This is a superb debut - engagingly written, rich in imagery and fascinating characters, and with a truly unique protagonist. I was hooked from the start and enjoyed the rollercoaster all the way to the end, whereby I was dying for the sequel. And it is a rollercoaster... highs and lows, dips and turns, moments of horror, wonder, and surprise - and all set in a backdrop as rich as the story itself. I can't wait to see where Laura Lam takes me next.
on 14 May 2017
Absolutely amazing book. The characters feel so real and alive. The attention to detail and plot is excellent. I found it hard to put down and finished it in two days. I'm looking forward to reading rest of the trilogy. I highly recommend reading this book.
on 24 December 2015
A excellent book by Laura Lam, it takes you to another place, besides the circus where Micah run away to.
Why does anybody run away to the circus?
Everybody as secrets and Micah needs to them hid.
One of my favorite reads...PANTOMIME.
on 22 June 2014
I've read the first two books in this series and I love the main character and the world the story takes place in. However, there's still a lot to be revealed and I think a lot will hinge on how the series ends. The ending will either make or break it - here's hoping that the next book lives up to the high standard of the last two.
on 16 July 2016
Lushly written and beautifully imagimative. Circuses, old technology from a long lost civilization that verges on magic, and domes of strange blue glass that almost seem sentient.
on 7 December 2013
Beautifully written with an outstanding protagonist. Micah`s story has been handled honestly and with real feeling. Laura Lam has managed to introduce a wonderful new world and tackle a sensitive subject in a way that should be applauded. I can't wait for book two!