on 11 September 2014
Touching and humerous - a really good read!
on 12 July 2012
I'm so pleased that there's another Sophie Duffy novel out. The Generation Game was thoroughly entertaining but if anything I like this even better. I immediately identified with Vicky and the chaos and sadness of her life but it isn't in any way a miserable read. I laughed out loud often. Anyone who has ever had dealings with a cello will know what I mean.
The writing is immediate, sharp and wholly engaging. I couldn't wait to get back to it. Highly recommended!
on 8 January 2015
Real life, real people, really good!
on 29 June 2015
This book was ok and I took to the two smallest children but the rest of it was just - OK. There were things that spoilt it for me and I had to wonder if this author has any children. I mean who would let a 3year old make a cup of hot tea? Answer a font door on her own without knowing who was the other side. As for her being able to clean a bath, and that by sweeping it out, surely a 3year old would have to stand in it to do so. It was all just a bit too much for me.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not sure about this book. It's not bad, and there are many saving graces such as : it's not chick lit, the heroine isn't looking for Mr Right and it is intelligently written.

However, I never, ever like any present tense writing. I always think it sounds pretentious. I'm sure it's just me, but the present tense is a real turn off for me. Secondly, there's a bit of 70s/80s retro bandwagon thing going on which I can't help thinking is not exactly original.

However, the other good things about this books are: it is written about family, and I always like books that cover this endlessly fascinating theme. No two families are the same and it is refreshingly not a romance although there is a lot of love in it.

Another thing I didn't like is that I'm not sure the child dialogue is accurately done. That's one very clever three year old! I have a four year old who is nowhere near as articulate as that!

So there you are. As you can see I'm on the fence, but I welcome writers who write about families and non romantic relationships, so keep going Sophie!
on 14 January 2016
Very enjoyable book
on 8 January 2015
I enjoyed this book
on 20 August 2012
My dad always used to tell the joke of the curate's egg. The Bishop asks the curate at breakfast how his egg is, and, wary of insulting the Bishop, the curate says, "Good... in parts". That's how I felt about this book. Some of it was fabulously written: witty, intelligent, very touchingly insightful, but there were a few key things that drove me nuts. Firstly, I thought the main character (and narrator) needed a kick and was a most unsympathetic character. She was whiny, judgmental woman who seemed incapable of seeing her own failings, but was damned quick to judge everyone else on theirs. Because we could only see the other characters through her eyes, they seemed very skewed and some of them (her husband in particular) seemed very underdeveloped. But my biggest bugbear was that the writer had done very little research into the workings of the Church of England. A curate doesn't go to his home parish, and [SPOILER ALERT] doesn't "inherit" the parish when the vicar retires or moves on. The research wouldn't have been hard to do, and it's off-putting to anyone who knows anything about the church.
on 8 September 2012
A refreshing look inside a mother,s thoughts . Very much like J.Plaidy, " The Egg and I " in the type of honest humour and emotions. I enjoyed it very much ,but it is not a man's book in my opinion.
on 16 September 2012
The story is told from the point of view of the main character Vicky, the wife of a plumber turned curate, who finds herself in the middle of a chaotic household when her brother unexpectedly descends on her with his son. Vicky has her own family to take care of and her own issues to deal with yet she manages to support everyone around her and still maintain her family life.
Having thoroughly enjoyed The Generation Game I was eagerly looking forward to reading This Holey Life, and I was not disappointed. Sophie Duffy has done it again!
From the very first chapter I was thoroughly absorbed. Sophie has a style of writing which makes reading her books an effortless joy. She is adept at creating well-rounded characters and telling an intriguing tale. She manages to skillfully weave several threads simultaneously which at first appear to be unrelated until she neatly ties up all the loose ends.
Let's hope Sophie Duffy keeps writing such thoroughly enjoyable novels.