Customer reviews

on 19 August 2017
"Serving without Sinking" is a very good devotional and practical book on the issues of tiredness and demotivation in Christian service. The initial chapters review the different causes of losing's one's joy and passion in service, and the remaining chapters look into different scripture-based reasons (focusing on our identity in Christ and his grace gifts to us) for our service to be re-energised and renewed. It is written in very clear and straighforward language that is accessible to everyone. I found very good insights for renewing my own flagging spirit after 18 years in Christian service. Many thanks to the writer.
on 3 August 2017
Really practical for anyone getting overloaded with Christian living
on 24 June 2013
This is a timely book. It exposes a genuine problem for many Christians and many churches: increasingly joyless service of Christ, so that tasks that once thrilled us are now a thankless drudge.

It then diagnoses the underlying cause: we serve out of the wrong motivations. These can come from either a wrong view of God- trying to earn his favour or to pay him back for saving us; or out of a wrong view of other people- trying to impress them or prove that we belong.

It finally proposes that there is a way to serve without sinking: remember who you are in Jesus. You are friends with the boss. You are the bride of the King. You are a son with a heavenly Father.

Throughout John Hindley writes pastorally, Biblically, honestly and, most importantly, with the gospel at the centre. This book has blessed my heart and, knowing what I am like, I am sure it won't be long till I need to read it again!
on 1 August 2013
As someone who has become weary with 'doing' in church, this book was recommended and was extremely helpful. With short and easy to read chapters, Hindley shows us what service really is - a blessing and a gift. He reminds us that God does not need us to service Him in order to bring about His plans. It made me think about service in a completely new way - can't wait to get stuck back in in September!
on 11 April 2015
This book is for anyone who is a Christian and has ever grumbled or felt tired or complained or the whole host of things we can feel about daily life serving Jesus. If you kinda of know there ought to be more to serving Jesus - and it ought to make more sense - then this book is for you.
One of the reviewers calls it "one of the best books of the year" - I think that undersells it.
Hindley writes wonderfully winsomely, yet clearly and succinctly.
He teaches the eternal truths of the Bible faithfully, relevantly - as if he were having a chat with you by the fire. Occasionally you feel him get up and give you a great big hug. Once or twice there's something more direct and challenging to change thinking.
It's hard to recommend it enough.
Buy it, read it, enjoy it, remember it, come back to it.
I loved it so much I bought one for every person in our church - and I'll be encouraging them to remind me of these truths as we serve each day.
on 29 May 2016
The essence of Christian living explained so gently, clearly and encouragingly. A surprising and liberating change of perspective that should prompt us to live and serve so much better and happily.
on 16 February 2017
This book is written for those who find their workload and Christian life a great struggle, both physically and mentally. It has been a helpful book to many.
on 12 October 2014
great book, good quality and reading
on 22 August 2014
very good
on 27 April 2014
I have been looking for a book like this for my holiday in Greece. It will keep me occupied round the pool.