Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 November 2012
Tove Jansson's 'The Moomins and the Great Flood' was her first book about Moomins, originally published in Swedish in 1945. It has only been translated into English since 2005 and now, lovingly, by Sort Of Books in 2012.

Told simply yet magically in just 46 pages, Moominmamma and Moomintroll are searching for Moominpappa and a warm place to live before winter arrives. Along their adventurous way they meet a host of characters; a 'little creature' (a precursor to Sniff), the Great Serpent, blue-haired Tulippa, an 'old gentleman' (who may have inspired Roald Dahl!!!), an ant-lion, the Hattifatteners, mermaids, sea-trolls, a red-haired boy, a mother cat and her kittens, a hemulen, a marabou stork and angler fish.

It's interesting to see that 'Sniff' bears some resemblance in character to that shown in later books; a little timid and a lover of things that glitter!

The book itself looks similar in style to Sort Of Books' other Moomin titles; 'The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My','Who Will Comfort Toffle' and 'The Dangerous Journey'. It's lovingly produced with the author's trademark pen and ink drawings and sepia watercolurs which are more ethereal in style. Also featured is a preface from the author written in 1991 and a little history of about her.

A real gem of a book!
on 3 November 2012
Finally the first ever Moomin story is available in English.
It is a beautiful, tactile, hard bound book, with a subtle, ethereal colour front cover.
The story is full length with inset original illustrations from Tove Jansson and full page sepia coloured plates. As this story was first written in 1945 it is interesting to see how Moonin and the other characters have evolved, both is their character and their appearance. It also includes a short introduction by Ms Jansson herself from 1991 when the book was rereleased in its original language.
A joy to own and an absolute must for anyone who loves the Moomins.
I didn't grow up with the Moomins, but have got into them rather late, in my early forties. I was dimly aware of the TV version when I was a kid, although we didn't watch it. And later on a band-mate called one of his slightly strange instrumentals 'Snufkin In The Forest', leaving me intrigued to know more. But I never followed that up, until now.

I was buying a book for a niece when, browsing through the kids book section, I was seduced by Tove Jansson's work, in particular by her wonderful illustrations, which combine naivety and sophistication in a perfectly balanced and deeply enchanting manner. In the end I bought my niece some gifts, and then decided to treat myself to The Moomins & the Great Flood.

I didn't consciously choose the first Moomintroll adventure, but on getting home and reading it, was delighted to discover that I had chanced upon the first chapter in this beguiling story. The Sort Of edition is very nicely put together, as a medium format hardback with a yellow cloth binding to the spine (not shown on Amazon's product page photo, for some reason). Print and paper quality, font choices, design and layout, etc., are all of a piece with Jansson's gorgeous aesthetic.

The story and the artwork combine perfectly, and can be enjoyed either in their own right or together, and both, like the aforementioned art that drew me in, are a perfectly judged balance of simplicity and artfulness. As a writer and illustrator myself Jansson is now both a pure pleasure to be enjoyed and an inspiration to be learned from. I find almost all of her writing and artwork, albeit to differing degrees in differing instances, entirely and intoxicatingly wonderful.

I enjoyed the Great Flood so much I've now bought Comet in Moominland (which was again bought entirely spontaneously, without knowledge that it was also the chronological follow-up), and I'm planning to gradually acquire the complete comic strip as well. Having already enjoyed some exquisitely pleasurable hours in the company of the delightful Moomintroll and his family and friends, I'm eagerly looking forward to more.

Highly recommended, this can be enjoyed in both adult and child-like states, either for the pure rapture of fairy-tale, or as admiring connoisseurship of great art and storytelling.
Recent years have seen the publication of some beautifully bound and produced Moomin books, such as The Book About Moomin, Mymble and Little My and Who Will Comfort Toffle?: A Tale of Moomin Valley by Sort of Books. Now we have the gorgeous "The Moomins and the Great Flood". This was, in fact, the very first Moomin story, published in Finland in 1945 and out of print for many years. It is a stunningly beautiful book, nicely bound and complete with original sepia watercolours and pen and ink drawings.

The story is about 60 pages long and begins with Moomintroll and his mother arriving at the deepest part of the great forest, searching for a snug, warm place to build a house in for the winter. It is a well known fact that Moomins cannot stand the cold, so their search is an important one. Along the way they have many adventures, encounter many other creatures and discover the valley they make their home. Tove Jansson created a magical and beloved world and it is a delight to read this first story, so lovingly produced. My children adored it and this would make an ideal addition to any child's bookshelf.
on 20 September 2016
A lovely tale. Slightly surreal, as are all the Moomin tales, but with a wonderful whimsicality that engenders within a deep longing. For what? Simpler times... clean air... forests and mountains. Indulge, and read it aloud to your children and grand-children.
on 12 March 2016
Bless the Moomins. Small little hippo looking animals who have different Adventures and have been made into cartoons and have been written about in books. These books are the original Moomins and not the versions that were cartoons in the 1980s I believe. My sister is a huge fan of these original books and was thrilled to receive this one as a present from her wish list.
on 3 March 2016
I'm in my fifth decade and this is my second reading, for me this time, not to my (now adult) children. Can't wait for grandchildren so I can see the wonder in their eyes. Such philosophy and quirky charm. Highly recommend all Jansson's books for all ages ... eternal classics.
on 10 December 2012
Definately a five-star rating - fantastic picture quality, really good size, it arrived incredibly promptly and in a good state, and I enjoyed reading it.
on 9 December 2012
Bought as a gift, but had to read as my children knew and loved the Moomins. I thoroughly enjoyed it,
on 28 June 2013
The story remains as fresh as when I first read or listened to them. Revisiting these books has brought me much joy.