on 14 February 2015
Stunning book, gives you plenty of fresh ideas
on 2 June 2017
This book is not worth the money the flowers ard really poorly made i am surrprised it was published very disappointed. The book wax also damaged when it arrived
on 21 November 2013
Wedding Cakes by Rosalind Miller is a fantastically inspiring book providing an insight into Rosalind's very creative and innovative mind! I can only hope to think up such stunning cakes myself.
The book takes you though a wide variety of styles of cakes, with clear step-by-step photographs and equipment lists, so you can recreate the cakes yourself with ease. The book also generously supplies recipes, and templates to use for decorating including stencils for the striking and very popular Enchanted Forest cake.
The book teaches many modern techniques, including silver leaf, and even if you are an experienced cake decorator you will definitely learn something new from this beautiful guide!
on 20 November 2013
Perhaps I was expecting too much as I preordered this book weeks, if not months, before release. Rosalind Miller is a mover and shaker in the UK cake decorating world and I couldn't wait to get her book.

Positive points:

* It is a beautifully produced book with a linen feel strip cover. It is heavy and holds its own on my burgeoning cake decorating bookshelf. It feels like good quality and it promises a lot.
* The instructions and required material sections are succinct and clear.

Negative points:

* In the words of Paul Hollywood, it's style over substance!
* Whilst there are contemporary designs in the book (the use of silver leaf, double barrel tiers, and a nice monochrome design which won Miller a place in The independent's top 10 wedding cakes back in May) it is not particularly ground breaking. The book feels like it is following year-old trends rather than predicting what we should be making next season (did it soend too long being made pretty and hence lost its contemporary edge??).
* Having followed Rosalind's career and her new cake designs with anticipation I expected more than the very basic flowers she makes here - many of which look cabbagey. Sorry, i know that sounds harsh, but if I buy a book which is marketed as moving your cake skills to 'hig end' then thats what I expected.

All in all, it is a beautifully produced book and if you are a beginner moving to intermediate then I think this will be a great book to inspire you. If you truly are looking for high end then opt for Naomi Yamamoto's "Wedding cakes the Couture Collection" which still has me quaking in my cake making boots.
on 1 March 2014
I own about 50 cake decorating and baking books and have my own small scale cake business. I am a fan of Peggy Porschen, Zoe Clark and May Clee-Cadman (Maisie Fantaisie) as well as many others. In my opinion, of all the books I own this one is by far the most brilliantly written and illustrated. Unlike the others (which I still love) this beautiful book does not appear to suffer from the publisher/editor forcing the cake designer to shoe-horn the instructions for each cake into the obligatory few pages that dictate x number of bullet point instructions with x number of photos, regardless of the fact that some cakes need more explanation than others. With this book you get clear recipes, tips, equipment lists, great photos and more right from the beautiful front cover to the back
Also, there is one negative review complaining that there is nothing new and exciting...this book contains step by step instructions of Rosalind Miller's most beautiful and iconic cakes that are current on her website...not some hastily designed cakes to meet the publishers deadlines for another money spinning book. If you are a fan of Rosalind Miller, you will love this book. I have to admit as I am experienced I have not tried the recipes yet (as I have my favourite tried and tested ones), and haven't needed to refer to the instructions of how to tort/stack etc but I will definitely try them out as life is about learning new things! This is definitely a book that will sit happily in your bookshelf or on your coffee table as even the cover is divine!
on 21 November 2013
I have been a cake decorator for a few years, and I've spent a lot money on buying cake decorating books for inspiration. Most books, the cakes are the same style, you can hardly tell which is Peggy Porchens style or which is Zoe Clarkes so the wedding cakes turn out to be similar to each other. There was no one's style really making me impressed until I got this book, it gave me so much inspiration, there are so many different cake styles in it, from vintage to contemporary, jazz age to fairy tale, especially the Enchanted Forest Wedding cake.

The book does not just show cakes with nice flowers and colours, but it also shows how to create wedding cakes that tell a story.

I think this book opens a door for me, and lets me know there are so many things around our lives that we can transfer to cake designing.

This book also has a very nice layout for every tutorial, which gives you clear ideas how every step goes, no matter you are a beginner or advanced cake decorator, I am sure you will learn a lot from this book.
on 3 June 2014
This book is very good for design inspirations. The pictures are good and clear. However there is no equipment supplier list. There is no list of the exact paste colours for example, just says paste colours.
I therefore think this booked is aimed at more experienced cake decorators who already have purchased all the equipment used in the book or know where to get them from. It might be a bit intimidating for beginners in that respect.
Experienced cake decorators on the other hand may be overly critical or disappointed by the book in the sense that apart from showing you how to make the beautiful enchanted cake, there is no real complexity of new techniques, or perhaps it's her genius of making simple techniques look so enchanting.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 3 December 2013
It's cake time. Let me say first of all that this book makes a wonderful impression - the traditional bound cover and the cover photo give a touch of luxury to this handsome volume.What's inside? You'll find great baking tips and techniques, recipes for a variety of cakes including Vanilla, Lemon, Raspberry and Vanilla, Red Velvet or Chocolate sponge as well as Rich Fruitcake. Fillings include Buttercream and Lemon Curd, Chocolate Ganache and Sugar Syrups. Coverings include different Pastes and Royal Icing. General techniques and flower making are covered in detail with step by step instructions and photographs. The Grand Finale are the ten cake designs, beautifully photographed with close up, step by step photos and instructions so it would be hard not to get it right. The cake designs are sophisticated, elegant and fabulous. Many of the cakes are floral in design, but there are other designs included. Rosalind Miller has won 'Cake Designer of the Year' twice and she sets the standard in cake design. This is what chic cake design is all about. If you are looking for 'party' cakes with clowns, this is not for you, this is up-market, intricate yet subtle cake design at its best. Miller's cakes would grace any table. Recommended.
on 30 January 2014
On opening my package I was really looking forward to sitting on the sofa and looking at beautiful cakes. But when I opened the book I was really disappointed. The cakes were nothing special, and the instructions although very clear on how to make the sugar decorations are quite basic level. I am a cake maker with a few years experience and have lots of books (they are a guilty secret of mine) but I certainly won't buy a Rosalind miller again.
on 28 November 2013
I ordered this book a few days ago having seen excited comments on Rosalind Millers Facebook page and various other cake pages about this fabulous new wedding cake book...
I am an established wedding cake maker myself and have bought many cake decorating books over the years for ideas and inspiration, mainly Peggy Porschen and Zoe Clark who always produce interesting books with lots of new never seen before designs, their technical sections are always worth a read and I often refer back to them when I get stuck with a project.

I love Rosalind's designs, so when she announced her first book I was very excited and ordered it from Amazon and waited excitedly for the postman.
The book is beautifully presented, hard back with inlaid lettering, I flicked through it at first and straight away was rather disappointed that I had seen all the designs before, nothing new and exciting, then I read through the basics section as I am always interested to read how other cake makers prepare their cakes, maybe I will learn a new trick for that perfectly torted cake.... However I was rather surprised at the poor explanations (I'm not sure who this book is aimed at, amateur cake makers or highly skilled professionals?) the section on torting a cake in preparation for icing was so complicated and unnecessary, a novice would have been in tears by that point!
So sadly I can't give this book 5 stars, it's very pretty but there's nothing to get excited about and I will be sticking with Peggy and Zoe from now on.