Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 February 2014
I've been a knitter since I was really quite small and so am very confident knitting, but no matter how hard I tried, I could not get the hang of crochet. More than one person tried to show me and I've been through a good few "how to" books and magazines too.
Whilst trying to find ideas for my Christmas list I came across this book. From the "look inside" it looked very simple and easy to follow - and believe me, I needed simple and easy to follow!
My mum gave this book to me for Christmas, and determined to learn, I took it away on holiday with me.
This book is indeed very clear. The pictures are nice and large and the book is explained in very easy terms. I couldn't get on with holding the wool or hook properly - I suspect I am too much of an entrenched knitter - but other than that managed everything the book said.
By the second day I had a nice square of double crochet. By the end of the third I'd made a somewhat poor attempt at a granny square (my family teased me mercilessly about it being a granny rhombus!). But my second granny square looked exactly like the real thing and I had it cracked.
Now, just over a month on and I've mad a complete cushion with 16 granny squares, crochet joins and crochet flowers. It looks as though someone who has been crocheting for years has made it (well, to me, anyway!). I'm now in the middle of a huge throw for our sofa and I'm also making a pokemon toy for my daughter. I'm obsessed with crochet.
I never thought I would be able to crochet and now I can, properly. My mum (who could sort of crochet but is really a knitter like me) has also bought this book and is now making amazing stuff too.
It is a simple book - there aren't a huge number of pages or patterns. But if you have been defeated by everything else and want to learn, you could do worse than give it a try.
55 Comments| 440 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2013
I am a complete beginner, but even I managed to learn how to Crochet. Would thoroughly recommend this book to everyone
0Comment| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2017
Am a beginner trying to grasp th art of crocheting, I find this book very helpful. Still a long way to go but I am happy with the instructions inside.
on 20 March 2017
Really clear for the beginner.
on 27 March 2017
Looks easy to follow! Teaching myself to crochet. This will definitely help
on 9 March 2017
A nice book but disappointed in that it replicates everything in the children's version of the same book. Including pictures and projects.
on 22 September 2017
As a Non crochet person I bought this book as a 98yr old lady was going to show me the basics. WOW not only was the book easy to read and learn from but my young 98yr old was very patient. So between the two of them I think I have mastered a total of three stitches which is a achievement as I didn't know how to hold a hook a month ago.

many thanks great book fro dummies
on 14 March 2017
Very easy to follow
on 17 November 2016
Easy to understand and create. Makes crochet uncomplicated.
on 30 March 2017