Customer reviews

The Frozen Thames
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 November 2013
A wonderful book with fine illustrations and some fantastic short stories. It gives you a flavour of what the mini ice age was like and makes you aware of how the world was back then. Also, it made me appreciate that some day, the globe will be totally ice free and that's going to be not only sad but bad. Well worth a read.
on 4 November 2016
An interesting read, in the hope we never experience the same in modern day terms.
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2010
I cannot rate this highly enough. Beautifully and sensitively written collection of vignettes about the times the Thames has frozen over. I had a vested interest in this book as it was part of my research for something I was writing, but it deserves a much wider readership. Brilliant example of a whole world conveyed in a few choice words, lots of conceptual and meditative ideas aptly put.
on 12 April 2014
I ordered this book for my best friend...she had tried
unsuccessfully to buy it in Australia, I was thrilled when I found it online and even more thrilled at how quickly it was dispatched to me, what great service, Sandra, Brighton, Australia
on 3 November 2014
I was expectingmore factual accounts, the stories are quite good though -- it is a VERY small book.
on 24 December 2013
This book is so amazing! Anyone who enjoys Winter, or the Thames, or history - or simply a beautifully written book, should most definitely read it. It's based on when the Thames used to freeze over during Winter and people could walk along it (or throw fairs on it)Starts off around 1066, goes up to 20th century, completely brilliant short stories (v short short stories), really make you feel you're back there in person, watching it all happen as you breathe in the icy Winter air. Hard to pick a favourite, but it's probably one about two lovers in the 17th century, one of whom has the Great Plague. Not many words - highly moving. Wish I had Helen Humphreys' amazing talent. Also, it contains beautiful illustrations. Have given several as presents and always well-received.

Please buy this book. 100% recommended.

Thankyou, Helen Humphreys.
on 28 October 2014
The recipient loved it...and so did i as I read it first