Customer reviews

The Hit
Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 July 2017
I did not approve of the dirty language, the in-between scenes, or the inappropriate use of vocabulary: but all in all, the storyline is strong and clear. My only other problem is that it got complicated, and, boring in some cases towards the end and I found myself overlooking most of it because there was too much detail at once.
on 10 March 2017
Oh my god that was so good definately getting more books by him!!!! If you liked that i reccomend getting the GONE series aswell
on 11 August 2017
great
on 12 August 2015
Picked this up at a friend's house and read a short bit. When I got home I immediately bought it on the kindle store and loved it. Great page-turner.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 May 2013
Melvin Burgess really doesn't pull his punches or talk down to a teenage audience.
This one is no different to others of his I've read - stark, violent in parts, not for younger teens.

The premise is superb - a new drug is available that when taken gives you a huge rush of life for one week. Then kills you. There is no antidote. Once you take it, you have seven days left. Brilliant, eh?
The story involves the not-uncommon teens in love, but set in what appears to be a slightly dystopian modern world, with revolution on the horizon and Zealots using the drug and situation for their own political ends.

It's hard-hitting stuff. Especially when psychotic gangsters enter the plot, with Lizzie, sweet everyday teen caught up in a horrific situation that seems almost out of place in this sort of literature. It's this section that is almost distasteful and hard to bear.

Not for the faint-of-heart, but powerful thought-provoking stuff.
on 21 October 2013
Though I am an adult (!) I read a lot of YA fiction cos that's the genre I write and my son is nearly a teenager, and he reads some of it. I had the good luck to go along and hear Melvin Burgess talk about his book at Ilkley Literature Festival the other week and then sign copies afterwards. The chat was mainly aimed at 12 plus year olds with only a scattering of adults in the audience. Burgess was great fun to listen to, on the ball, witty, straight talking and on the back of that I read his book, The Hit. It's a great read, fast moving, taking the reader into Adam's world immediately, sweeping you along. It's set about 40 years or so into a future Britain, where there are huge divides between rich and poor. As always with Burgess' novels there are some grim and gritty themes which he deals with well- I suppose grittily! His depiction of the pyschotic gangster Christian stayed with me in particular, very convincing and spectacularly nasty. I would probably suggest a reading age of 14 upwards, as this book is perhaps not for younger teenagers. Its messages of life, the value of it, how you live it and the choices you make are truthful and hard hitting and relevant to all age groups, not just teenagers. Loved it.
Review: There's a new drug going round. Death. Giving you a week to live, and an eternity to not. Adam's life is going very badly when he is given the chance to take it. Drawn in to a dangerous gang world, protesters, extreme violence and high stakes, Adam will discover what he has to live for.
I was really excited about this one. I've not read Junk or anything by Melvin before, but I feel like I should. The premise of The Hit was instantly eyecatching and exciting, and one that I could see going in any number of directions. Melvin took it in a good way.
Adam is a character that you get very close to, probably because of the intimacy and intensity of the things we go through with him, you know, thinking he'll die being the major one. He is immature at times, but also real. Lizzie is the saner girl, even though she is forced into the world of danger that Adam gets involved in. Christian is horrible, and scary in the way that real properly evil horrible people are. The mob network and the opposing group, the Zealots, were well fleshed out.
Plotwise, it works. It's kept moving at a good pace. Things come round in funny ways. The ending-the outline was predictable, the exact workings of it, not so. The writing-really good.
I was surprised that after the emphasis on Death in the press thing and on the internet and thing, it was plot driven by the gang and action like that. It worked as a story, but with the concept, it wasn't what I was expecting and I think I would have liked to see a bit more questions being posed as a larger component of the story.
That said, it did raise quite a few. Would you take it? How would you spend your last week? Would you think it was worth it?

Overall: Strength 4 tea to a gritty and real book with a thoughtprovoking look at death and life.
on 10 November 2013
I bought this book as soon as I saw it in online bookstore. I didn`t know one of my favorite writers wrote a new book. I immediately ordered it and waited to get it. When I got it, I started reading it while walking home from post office. Melvin Burgess is one of my favorite writers since I was a teen. I read all his books that are translated in Lithuanian. Even now, when I`m adult, I still like to read his books. I buy every new book that appears in Lithuania like crazy and read it as fast as I can.
It`s not the highest class book, but it has something in it that made me read it non-stop for two days. A plot is very intriguing, just thrilling! Somebody should make a movie by this book, it would great action movie. I had fun reading this for two days, it was amazing weekend!
on 9 June 2013
starts with a fine 'what if' - what if there was a drug so good you could do anything but it killed you in a week? the hero and heroine get entangled with the rather caricatured villains who make the drug 'death' - lots of fast paced action but maybe less character development than in his other books? setting it against a background of riots and civil disobedience at the power of an overwhelming state makes it really topical. exciting.
on 7 April 2014
As a born & bred Mancunian, it was utterly thrilling literally following the characters around Manchester! Fallowfield isn't my area but watching the rioting & climax unfold in town was too exciting for words & while Christian Cooke may be a Leeds lad, having a fellow Northerner narrate the Audible audio book was a brilliant choice! Had me hooked on the book all week - quite fitting, considering the story's timeframe!