Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I REALLY don't want to give away the plot of this barnstorming book. Suffice it to say that the atmosphere of the 1940's is well and truly evoked,and the use of real life people like the vile Reynhardt Heidrich, is brilliantly woven into the fabric of this book.
I absolutely could not put this book down,and it's slipped into my top 10 books of the year very easily.
on 9 May 2012
I have to admit, I read the whole of Hitler's Angel in one sitting - a real page-turner!

The very real descriptions of the retreat from Dunkirk absorbed me from the start. The marvellous picture of life in London during WW2, the historical accuracy of the events surrounding this story and the detailed portrayal of Nazi Germany drew me in. The three main characters are easy to relate to and very likeable. This book is gripping and exciting from the first page to the last.

This is a definite must read.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
1941. Does Hitler have a daughter hidden away in a convent? What a coup for the Allies if she can be captured! Sent in to do exactly that are two teenaged refugees from the Nazis. Renamed Otto and Leni Fischer, they undergo a fortnight of intensive training before a mission fraught with danger....

No hanging around here - just high speed adventures, narrow escapes (that perhaps do not always convince), dramatic encounters, stabbings, shootings, explosions and ever-increasing challenges - ruthless Reinhard Heydrich always in hot pursuit.

It comes as no surprise William Osborne is a Hollywood scriptwriter, everything conceived here in visual terms. The young couple are likeable and awesomely resourceful - as indeed is nine year old Angelika, stunningly for one whose life has been mainly spent surrounded by nuns.

Why be critical about implausibilities? Settle instead for an enjoyable, adrenaline-fuelled read.

Recommended.
on 18 June 2012
getting my son to read anything is a challenge, but this book certainly got him going, even found him with the light on under the duvet. Only discovered him because of the burning feathers. He is 11 years old and loved it.
on 6 June 2012
I wish more children's books could be as good as this. I find it really hard finding books that my son will want to read and then the next challenge is getting him to finish it. He couldn't put Hitler's Angels down and read it in two days - something unheard of in our household. I asked him what was so good about this book and he said the story was fantastic and gripping and he really liked the characters. It was also great for me to hear him talk about history. If you are reading this William Osborne please please can you write more and quickly. I cannot recommend this more highly for parents desperate to get their children to enjoy reading and clearly for all children that already enjoy reading.
on 27 February 2015
Please note, this review in full can be found at - https://ablogaboutkidsbooks.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/first-review-teen-read/

To surmise, Hitler’s Angel covers the peril-ridden mission assigned to two young ‘Secret Agents’ who have escaped Nazi occupied Europe, and who are refugees in London. At the request of the upper echelons of British Government, they are given the task of returning to Germany to retrieve a young girl (the ‘Hitler’s Angel’ of the title), who, for reasons concealed from both main protagonists and readers, is key to Hitler’s emotional focus and – by default – the Nazi war effort.

This is Osborne’s first book, but coming from a history of screenwriting, I felt enough confidence in a general storytelling ability, to invest some reading time. I was also confident given the subject matter; a key period in world history with plenty of potential for intrigue, action and plot.

Whilst not life changing, Hitler’s Angel is a good yarn and the two main characters, Otto (15, male), and Leni (14, female) are likeable enough. They approach intensive physical training with the trepidation one would expect from teenagers in a precarious situation. Their dialogue lends a decent pace, their disagreements plausible, and their own sense of displacement, gives them some shape. As the book and the mission continues, they begin to question their roles and the wisdom of their leaders, opening up some interesting and valid ethical dilemmas. If I were a teenager starting to test the lines of authority, Otto and Leni could make good or bad companions (depending upon your point of view!) Whilst a smudge insipid in places, both characters are generally likeable and command the reader to care about them. Angelika, the young girl and object of the exercise, does remain ‘on the page’ somewhat, but her lack of dimension simply doesn’t ADD to the book, rather than out and out detraction.

On a character level, Hitler’s Angel doesn’t shy away from brutal descriptions, violent commanders calling the shots, and an ‘at all costs’ wartime mentality. As mentioned above, for a teen reader, I would suggest the book could pose moral questions. For adults, such queries may prove to be more searching. I personally found the colder, calculated aspects of both British and German senior command a little depressing, but that’s not to say that Hitler’s Angel doesn’t have a role in prompting debate.
VINE VOICEon 3 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As the story description says - basically 2 children who have escaped Nazi Germany are asked to go back to find a 3rd child who can bring the war to an end.

My 12 twelve year old was full of praise for it - true thriller writing for young adults and teenagers. Have just passed it on to the 10 year old and expect him to enjoy it just as much - then its my turn.

Truthfully anything that makes kids want to read and then they can enjoy doing so must get 5 stars - and this one hits the spot.
on 22 May 2012
I bought this book for my 11 year old brother and ended up reading a lot of it to him myself. This is not just a book for children, I think adults can enjoy it too. The writer obviously knows a lot about the Second World War and I really liked the way he had written a fictional story but set it in the real world, it makes a change to read something that is not set in a fantasy world. It's non- stop action and because the writing is so vivid, it's easy to picture it in your mind. The bit I really liked was when Otto was by himself in the Barn surrounded by German soldiers, with no chance of escape... I was completely gripped. I don't want to give away the ending but it's one of the best twists I have ever read. You don't need to be interested in the Second World War to like the book. I would definitely recommend it to boys and girls of all ages.
on 23 May 2012
I got this book to read to my two younger brothers who are at the perfect ages (8 and 11) for this great read, and then found that I couldn't put it down! This book is a fresh new take on the typical child spy novel and was one that I am sure any girl or boy would enjoy. The action scenes are masterfully written and the plot is so thrilling to read it would be hard for anyone not to finish it in one sitting. Both the main characters are really likeable and I especially found the girl (Leni) to be a great role model for strong young women out there. But what really sets this book apart is the brilliant ending which leaves people wanting to ask more, while also being incredibly well done.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a real thriller which will hold your attention throughout. Set during the Second World War, it will lead you with the protagonists on an exciting chase through Nazi Germany. Recommended for anyone over the age of 10, I'm certain anyone up to 100 (and over) will find this totally engrossing. Great read!