Format: Paperback|Change

Like everyone else it seems, I discovered Elizabeth Haynes' writing through her magnificent debut, Into the Darkest Corner. Her second, Revenge of the Tide, was good too, but maybe lacking a little something for me. But as for this one - it really is absolutely fantastic, arguably her best yet, and I've honestly never read anything quite like it.

The whole book is incredibly original, and all the more engaging because of its grounding in mundane everyday life. As a central character, we have Annabel, a police analyst who lives alone with her cat Lucy, dissatisfied in life and work, running round after her ungrateful elderly mother. First, she discovers the death of a neighbour - alone and inexplicable. Then, through her work, she discovers that there has been a significant increase in the number of people dying alone at home within her small town. She struggles to get anyone interested - surely the increase has to be significant in some way - until local journalist Sam Everett picks up on the story.

The individual behind the deaths is a magnificent creation who makes your blood run cold: and there's a constant underlying humour and incongruity that makes him all the more chilling. The story is told through Annabel and the man behind it all, but interspersed with the voices of those who have died - and the whole structure works really well. Some of the stories are really touching, wonderful vignettes of the lives of the lonely. And she really gets under the skin and into the minds of her two main characters - in different ways, it's an uncomfortable and fascinating place to be.

This is a story that makes you sweat and your pulse race, 100% believable, magnificently dark, incredibly exciting, and I defy anyone to put it down for anything but the briefest of pauses before its fantastic ending. It will stay with me a long time, and I'll always dress properly, put my make-up on and smile when I do an evening supermarket shop from now on - and run a mile if anyone touches me on the arm.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2016
This book ticks all the boxes. It intrigues, is fresh, well written and a potboiler to boot! Originality is difficult to find with so many crime and detective stories available but this authoress managed to find a new twist and, for me, it is a resounding success. I have read her other novels and they are to be recommended as well. It also makes one think about the social issues involved and is topical from that point of view alone. It has to receive the full 5 stars.
on 6 June 2017
This is a disturbing psychological thriller, told from multiple points of view. As a reader you find out quite early on who's the person behind the number of people found dead and decomposed in their own homes. Police analyst Annabel was my favourite character. She is honest, vulnerable and brave and her multi-layered portrait shows the damage that can be done to a person's sense of self-worth when they have experienced a difficult childhood. This is Haynes's goriest novel as well, so be warned if you are a sensitive soul!
Remains Of The Day - Elizabeth Haynes

Annabel works as a police analyst and after discovering her neighbour's decomposing body, decides to analyse how many people die in their homes and are not discovered until the smell makes neighbours aware of the problem. She search turns up an alarming number of people dying and not being discovered (until too late) in her community of Briarstone.

Sam Everett a journalist on the Briarstone Chronicle takes up the story and between them and eventually, the police an interest in discovering what and who is behind all these unexplained and decomposing bodies.

I've come to realise that if Elizabeth Haynes puts her ideas down on paper, you're in for a pretty horrendous ride! Her first book - Into The Darkest Corner, made me examine and take on board how women can be manipulated in a bad relationship while their friends think they are the problem and in this book, I had to come to terms with how a sociopath could manipulate people through NLP.

Elizabeth Haynes' characters are not that easy to warm to, but she is a brilliant author.
on 23 June 2017
I found this book quite disturbing. Also there was a chapter near the end that I thought came from another book as it did not seem to fit into the story. Also I can't imagine that a lowly "office person" would be able to become a sleuth, especially after her "breakdown". When I got to the sudden end of the book I felt it actually lacked a real ending. It ended "up in the air" - perhaps there's a sequel?
on 26 February 2016
To be fair, I'm only halfway through the book but actually a wee bit bored. I loved Into The Darkest Corner - everything it should have been: gripping, frightening, real etc etc, but I don't feel this is a patch on that one. I feel I'm sort of waiting for something to happen rather than just so far reading Annabel and Colin in turn, nor do I feel I've related to either. Disappointed.
on 17 March 2017
I found it hard to put this down. I liked the quirky stories of the victims, giving them a voice worked very well I thought. I found aspects a bit too graphic for me but I understand how it suited the character. Overall, a great read.
on 26 May 2017
Not a new premis - damaged detective hunting maniac killer, but well written and a good read. It did keep me hooked and I liked the characterisations.
on 14 March 2017
Slow at first but once u got into it it was a job to put down very good but not her best
on 15 March 2017