Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2013
I couldn't stop reading it.

It should be depressing because of the poverty and deprivation in every chapter. Ireland sounds like a third world country. There are many who become casualties of the times but it glows with hope and I want to know what happens to her next.
on 10 November 2013
A well written account of life in Ireland full of yearning and nostalgia and innocence and deprivation, yet full of family feeling and unspoken love.
on 28 November 2013
I am so absorbed with this book -so easy to read - absolutely fascinating. I haven't finished it yet but could quite easily down tools to do so. The characters come to life on each page. Was this really true? Julie, a similar age to me -did she really endure such pain and love all muddled in together. Written with a natural easy flow - God Bless the child who came out of such a poor deprived childhood to accomplish such excellent writing.
on 3 December 2013
Really tough times for the family. True historical background and settings. With lots of family dynamics and great character s recommend this book to all readers who enjoy learning about how things were so hard in the not so distant past.
Lindasmouton@Gmail
on 29 November 2013
I'm still reading the book but wanted to leave a review as soon as I could as I'm enjoying the book so much! Julie delightfully captures childhood and adolescent memories as we all do: a series of vignettes of remembered episodes placed in context by the people and places in them. The series of episodes weaves together a story of some sadness, loss and deprivation but a strong theme of love and family loyalty pervades all of the characters and the way they behave.

At times I have laughed out loud and at other have had a lump in my throat like few books manage to provoke. I've not enjoyed a book so much in a long time. I almost can't wait until my next commute to read a few more chapters!
on 3 September 2014
A brilliant achievement that rings very true. Would make a great and much more credible movie than Angela`s ashes. Told so very clearly and Julie manages to write each chapter matching up to her age at that time. Joyce and O`Casey would be very proud.
on 6 February 2014
Life was hard back in the 40's 50's & 60's I lived through them, this story set in Ireland shows it was tougher there than anything I experienced in England, a great read that reduces you to tears in places.
on 3 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this well written account of Charlottes tough life written by her daughter Julie. Expertly constructed, told as it was, with no "poor us". People got by with belief that things would improve. I ordered paperback version, then Kindle version, because I couldn't wait the couple of days to receive book and, once downloaded, just couldn't stop reading. Recommend most definitely.
on 4 December 2013
An uplifting tale of a tough childhood, told with humour. The story moves along at a good pace. On Charlotte's Shoulders is a perfect illustration of the indomitability of the human spirit. More please.
on 26 November 2013
I bought this book mainly because of the price and the good reviews, not expecting much from it. Am I glad I did buy it I didn't want it to end, it's such a good book and I would definitely recommend it.