Customer reviews

A Weight Off My Mind: My Autobiography
Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 October 2013
Bought this for my other half. he loves biographies especially about those linked to Horse racing. He thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 24 May 2017
Happy with the product.
on 26 January 2014
This is a terrific book. As an autobiography it is in the same high class as Graham Bradley's "The Wayward Lad." Normally I do not buy biographies or autobiographies of top sportsman until they have retired as of necessity they are incomplete. I made an exception for this book and I am glad I did. Mr Hughes is immensely courageous in revealing details of his personal life which in turn give us an insight into the pressures of being a top sportsman in a game that is absolutely cutthroat. This is exacerbated by having to ride at two or even three stones below normal bodyweight.
Unlike other anodyne offerings Mr Hughes is not afraid to express his opinion. He is particularly articulate when discussing the rules governing the use of the whip. When he retires I look forward to seeing him alongside Mick Fitzgerald in the Channel 4 studio.

Paul Laxton
on 12 November 2012
This was purchased for a Christmas present, so I haven't read it, but the intended recipient was absolutely sure he would enjoy this book.
I am somewhat dissapointed as I understood this was a signed copy, but I cannot find a signature anywhere.
I suggest that the word 'signed' be removed from the book description.
This is very misleading.
on 11 August 2012
The book is great and came within the estimated time but I can't find the signature anywhere, this is quite annoying as I paid £3 extra for the signed copy!
on 23 February 2014
Only one chapter I did not want to read and you will know what I mean when you get to it - it's the only reason it don't get 5 stars because I got what I wanted from the book. And yes, I will be backing him whenever he drops to a low weight :)
on 14 June 2013
A really good racing read which appear both genuine and cleverly ghosted by Lee Mottershead. Richard Hughes is an lively, engaging and popular character with a tale to tell but his battle to overcome alcoholism is what sets the book apart. Richard's determination and love of racing come across well and whilst never dull it is written in a relaxed and authentic style which will appeal to the keen and casual racing fan alike. I found the book gripping and illuminating and learnt more about Richard who I now follow closely, he is clearly an excellent ambassador for his sport.
on 31 August 2013
typical hughie honest book very well written i enjoyed it and the insight to what goes on in racing top notch
on 23 November 2014
I have not read it all yet. But, up to now, thoroughly enjoyable. One gets the impression that British Racing is still clean and competitive. you have to be prepared to put in all the hard work in order to succeed - not just because your name happens to be "Hughes".
on 2 December 2015
Good read with a coffee this winter. One for the horsey fans