on 4 January 2012
This book was a very interesting, enjoyable but all to short read. If humans exhibited more of Warrior's qualities, what a better world we would live in. Once I started to read it I could not put it down. Many of the sentiments and turns of phrase are from a time with different values and outlook but were well received by me. Munnings drawings and nice little pieces from the wonderful Sir Peter O'Sullevan and the ever readable Bruogh Scott made this little book one to keep.
12 people found this helpful
on 19 January 2015
Very special account of a very special horse written by the man who bred him. Humbling to think how Warrior and other animals gave comfort and courage to men fighting in such appalling conditions. I am so lucky that I was born after both world wars and my family was saved from the devastation experienced by so many families.
2 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2014
I enjoyed much of this book, bearing in mind it was written in the 1930's by a man who was a member of the 'ruling classes' so his view of the world needs to be kept in context. I will not spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it but my admiration for Jack Seely and his affection for Warrior was badly dented by what happened at the end. The horse deserved better and ultimately I was not impressed by Seely and less than convinced by all the previously expressed gushing emotional ties.
on 21 February 2013
As a devoted horse lover, I was very touched by the story of WARRIOR, a loyal & brave horse,
Also his owner, for his devotion to him.
If only all horses were forunate enough to have loving ,caring, loyal , owners,
These Beautiful, Majestic, Kind, Gentle, animals, deserve every consideration from US HUMANS,
that we can give them , The world has been born through & on the backs of WONDERFUL HORSES.
This book portrays that well.
on 16 October 2013
Anyone who is close to horses and has had a horse that will go the extra mile for them will be able to identify with this book. It is written in a straightforward manner and personally, I don't agree with the editor's view that this original text is dated. I think that Sealy comes across as modest, not bombastic. He attributes the heroism and success of the key cavalry charge, not to himself, but to his horse.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 April 2014
An amazing story of a man and his horse through WW1. The horse became a talisman to the Canadian troops that were commanded by the horses owner. This is not a glizzy Hollywood production, but a down to earth true story of the love and respect that both horse and owner shared during moments of peace broken only by the horrors of conflict. A delightful read.
on 1 February 2018
A wonderful story about an amazing war horse.
on 18 July 2017
Great story. Bought this as a birthday gift for my friend. She is very pleased with it, being a horse lover.
on 13 September 2016
The 'true' war horse. A short but compelling and emotional book about WW1 and the bond between equine and man. A must read for horse and history lovers.
on 24 January 2013
I bought this book for my Kindle because it is a true story of an amazing relationship between man and horse through the most bitter conflicts of WW1. My uncle took his own horse to the Front in WW! and both of them survived with honour and distinguished service and this, to me, is the story he never wrote. I love it!