TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 June 2014
Bought the book after seeing the program on tv with Michael portillo.the book is very interesting station to station to see how many places have gone and the old adverts in theback good to see and the ppopulation of cities and how its risen over the years. also bought the map some local stations closed but for the last 20 plus years campaign to get them open again.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 February 2014
The husband has been watching the series on telly with Michael Portillo. He was dead chuffed to get this in his stocking at Christmas and it is permanently positioned at arms length from his chair. Would have loved to have been able to get an original but for now this is great. Would have liked it better perhaps if it had been a hard back, I don't thing it would travel too well if, as Mr portillo was doing, you were retracing the journies, as it is fairly large for a softback volume but great for the armchair user.
on 21 April 2018
Must have for the railway enthusiast. Great reference book.
on 25 February 2012
A must! This is a real piece of Social Economic History how we were and how this country ran with railways and this coupled by those superb Railway programs by the BBC and Michael Portillo just marvellous.Buy a copy I got the Hardback and Softback editions they will be collectors items and £5.00 and £24.95 each, they are selling at lot more on ebay.....hope we see more reprints of other years 1935 perhaps?
on 12 February 2014
I have ordered this book for a friend for her birthday, wasn't sure how good it would be after reading some of the previous reviews but I must say the copy I received is excellent quality for a reprint. I am sure my friend will love it as much as she loves the series. I am seriously thinking of getting one for myself.
on 18 April 2012
Not being a railway buff I found this guide a marvellous read. The history within each page brings the era to life. It's the sort of book you can pick up and put down but always find something interesting to read. A really worthwhile purchase that I would not hesitate to recommend whether you are interested in rail travel or history. Money well spent.
on 1 December 2017
Just the job.
on 19 November 2014
This book is great, not for me but my brother who is an enthusiast and is delighted with the book. It gives a lot of other information about the areas it covers on Bradshaws journey, its a great buy for anoraks and anyone else.
on 31 December 2014
Bought this book for a family member. I have not received any comments on the contents of the book but am assured it was exactly what she was looking for. Very good quality & quick service.
on 4 July 2013
I bought this as I enjoyed the Michael Portillio tv series. It's ok quality-wise and, from my point of view, better than an original as it's not so precious! Fascinating reading and the sort of book you can dip into now & again.