Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 February 2012
This book has some of the loveliest and most unusual interiors of recnetly published interiors books. Certainly the style is distinctive and different (hooray) and there is much here you could learn from and copy. There is also much to make you grind your teeth in impotent envy. I have seen some of these interiors in magazines, but it isn't the old "usual suspects" roll out of familiar stuff. I LOVED the railway carriage, I wanted the converted trawler so much it hurt, I was charmed and seduced by the garden-shed-as-airy-and-delightful-spare-room. Unfortunately I can't have any of them, but one can dream (and drool).

I found this a much more original and inspirational book that Emily Chalmers' "Flea Market Style", but it has its faults. The text doesn't tell us much that isn't just a commentary on the pictures, and the source information at the back is scant in the extreme - indeed, in the index under "car boots" it says "see garage sales" (not the same thing anyway), showing that this book is trying to be all things to all English-speaking persons. A lot of the stuff shown you'd never find at a flea market anyway; or if you did, you'd pay almost as much as in a shop. But that is the fault of books like this, and there's no remedy for that unless you're far enough ahead of the zeitgeist not to need a book.
on 7 March 2012
I learned quite a bit about how people find bargains in what looks like a pile of junk and the explanations of how the individual owners did up their houses was helpful. Most chapters then go on to give good general tips, such as how to `get your eye in' at a car boot fair, how to maximise your chances of finding a good bargain on eBay, what to start collecting or `brand names' to look out for, especially in second-hand furniture or china. But I missed some of it first time round, though - it's easy just to skim the book, because the pictures are lovely, and not realise there's some really useful advice, especially towards the end of the chapters.
on 24 March 2013
A great addition to my interior design books. It has some good ideas to follow if you like your home to look put together and stylish , it shows how to mix much loved pieces with great finds from markets and second hand finds. Not over stylised , but a warm and welcoming home.
on 13 May 2012
Best interior design book ever, not just full of unrealistic minimal pictures of expensive homes like mosr, but realistic homes full of inspiration with lots of tips. Don't hesitate to buy this book. It's fab
on 16 March 2014
I found this a down to earth interior design book with good quality photography. The style appealed to me, As the title suggests it has a bric-a-brac, flea market lived in feel. I find some interior books have an expensive style that can feel a bit sterile. Sort of made for glossy magazines but not to be lived in and enjoyed. Recommended.
on 14 April 2013
I found this a bit same old, same old. No exciting transformations or original ideas for using flea market finds but a pleasant enough read and I did find one idea I liked, using an old glass fronted china cabinet as a shoe store. I shall probably copy that one.
on 22 February 2012
What a fabulous book! And I'm not only saying it because my kitchen, living room and shed feature. I lusted after that train carriage too....A great pressie and an inspiring interiors and design book.
on 3 March 2013
Nice book with lots of pretty pictures! I would have liked more ideas to help me create the 'shabby chic look' which I love so I didn't give it full marks..
on 22 February 2013
We are all looking for a bargain, this bookshows you how to make a lovelly and original home for not much money, it wll be unique to you
on 19 January 2013
Well presented with some great ideas and tips for sourcing products. Nice to dip into before a trip to the market.