on 6 September 2013
I found this book very boring, as it didn't tell me anything different to what I was doing anyway using a bit of common sense.
on 16 June 2013
Anyone familiar with Michael Freeman's work would have expected a lot from this book, as did I. I placed an order in advance of publication, expecting his usual mixture of expertise and accessible prose to help lead picture taking to the next level.
This book is disappointing. It feels like it was put together in a hurry - judging from the numerous typos. And judging by the overall slipshod impression created by the book as a whole. The individual sections seemed a little arbitrary, an effort to fill out a few more pages, in some cases. And the photographs were banal, in my opinion. You buy a book like this looking for inspiration, from a combination of contemporary and classic shots. The pictures chosen for this book were terribly dull.
It may be that I have missed the point and that it will be of use to absolute beginners.
on 28 July 2013
Covers the subject in some detail with excellent examples to get the thought processes moving. The book gives some key pointers in grabing the shot and avoiding trouble and embarassment. Important given how touchy photography in built up areas has become with the paranoia about terrorism and peoples general negative attitude towards photography in public, particularly where children are included in the shot. Regret that this is likely to be the one generation where candid photographs of children being children will be sadly lacking.
on 18 July 2013
I have to agree with the reviewers above - I was looking forward to this book and it is disappointing. Far too many typos etc, it has a rushed feel, and you might be better off saving a few of pounds by buying The New Street Photographer's Manifesto by Tanya Nagar, which does a better job of explaining the subject to the novice street shooter.
on 3 July 2013
I ordered this book in advance so I would get it quickly when it was released. However I was soon very disappointed with the content I have bought other books from him and they have been fantastic, this book on the other hand felt like it was rushed and he repeated himself all the way through the book. To be honest I have not really learnt anything new he could have put the whole book into one chapter. Avoid this book and go on line for advice on street photography there is an abundance of info on Youtube.
on 21 August 2014
I bought this book a long time ago. However, some of the ideas mentioned in the book came in useful when I was doing street photography in Oslo. I find Freeman Patterson's books more conducive to making good photos.