Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2014
This book is worth the cost but, due to the nature of the speed of technology change, some parts are already out of date. eg there are now styluses available that have pressure sensitivity and Bluetooth.
The book covers too many apps and so becomes confusing as to which to buy and use. On the plus side, the tutorials for sketching are very good.
The book speaks about the iPad being a great device for digital art but, then contradicts by pointing out the iPad's limitations! ie. the lack of pressure sensitivity on th iPad and, the poorer resolution for publishing works.
That said, there is enough in the book to gain much knowledge including about other Artists work. The quality of the physical book is very good.
Would I recommend it? Yes but, I've not given 5 stars for the reasons I've explained.
on 13 May 2013
Found this book very helpful, good info on the apps to get and what to look out for in apps. I know these apps will be soon out of date but now I know what I'm looking for I can keep up to date.
I struggled with a few apps before getting this book but was inspired to give them another chance. Inspired to try differant things I would never have tried on a tablet. The main advise I found was to go with the ipads limitations and not against it.
Go on buy this book you won't look back.
on 23 June 2014
Inspired by Hockney's exhibition of digital paintings, I had downloaded Brushes, and later Sketchbook Pro, but in the absence of meaningful manuals, I just couldn't get started--until this book came along. The book samples the major programs and most useful techniques. This means, of course, that you don't get all you want from any one program, but you do get the hang of figuring out how to get a similar effect with the programs you do have.
The book's tutorials also cover a wide range of artistic purposes, from cartoons and graphic design to very painterly portraits and landscapes, and sophisticated drawings. None of these tutorials offer a quick fix; as with any painting medium, it then takes plenty of hard work and application to gain mastery.
As a postscript, I gave my 10-year-old granddaughter, who had been enjoying creative collage programs on her I-pad, a quick look at how Brushes works before going off to fix dinner. In no time flat she'd created a colorful painting on her own using a variety of brushes for different effects.
on 8 October 2014
Reading this brilliant book convinced me to buy an iPad, it's that good! I've been an artist and illustrator for the last 20 years. I've always been an old school paint on canvas / ink on paper kind of guy, but have also experimented using digital media with mixed results. Previously this involved trying to create art on an old PC and with a cheap graphics tablet. I found the tricky process of trying to draw looking on the graphics tablet below me whilst simultaneously looking up at the PC screen extremely maddening, and only created sub-standard work with this method. Fast forward a decade, and we now have an affordable digital tablet in the iPad that allows you paint directly on it's screen. ( No more schizo eye-to-pen-on-tablet eye-looking-up-to-screen craziness!) Seeing the wonderfully detailed examples in the book of what the iPad can and can't do made me decide to get one, and it's been the best creative decision I've made in years. I'm now able to produce pieces of work in half the time than using conventional art materials. Though I still use old school paint on canvas, to also be able to create top quality digital pieces of art quickly on the iPad is invaluable for this freelance illustrator. Thank you Dani Jones for your wonderfully accessible book!
on 24 May 2014
I was informed by and artist friend of mine to get thi book as it helps you get started painting on your tablet. I am enjoying working through it. I have not did ant type of painting since I was at school over 40 years ago. I am just following the book and I am quite pleased with my work.Anyone thinking od having a go at tablet painting then why not get a hold of this book and see where it leeds you.
on 3 April 2013
Great support for an iPad novice. Useful pictorial tutorials plus examples of iPad artwork by many different artists. Tips on techniques and especially helpful reviews of a range of stylus'.
An excellent book that makes you more aware of the App's available for being creative on the iPad and how to use them.

I would say that complete novices may not find the book so useful as it presupposes that you have a basic knowledge of working with digital images and 'artistic' app's. Also, those already accomplished in digital art may not learn an awful lot from this publication but, where it really comes into its own is if you are somewhere between the two and just need a little bit of a helping hand.

Contained within this book are useful tutorials, informative explanations of digital art terminology and a section which showcases some accomplished digital artists work, you are also given links to online resources such as ebooks and interactive ebooks

This is a well produced book with clear, easy to follow text and excellent quality illustrations - well worth a look if you have hit a brick wall in your digital art development.

I only knocked a star off of the rating because I was expecting something a little
on 10 February 2013
I have an ipad which I don't much use (it's not really a computer is it) and decided that I wanted to get back to drawing and art as I did when I was at college 45 years ago. So I thought that using it to sit and let the world go by sketching would be better than watching rubbish tv.
I bought this book thinking that it would be ok. Well I was so pleased when I flicked through it and realised how very useful it is. Lots of tips and ideas and suggestions of apps to use. I am really pleased with it and it was money well spent.

VINE VOICEon 20 August 2016
I bought this because I’ve used some art apps on the iPad but not seriously and I knew I certainly hadn’t explored any to a greater degree. The book was probably out of date the day it was published because apps are updated so frequently but the general approach will remain the same. Dani Jones splits the book into five main sections – The Basics, Drawing & Sketching, Painting & Colour, Advanced Techniques and Sharing Your Work. This is followed by a gallery of pictures. Jones’ approach is to use a variety of apps throughout. She doesn’t focus on any app as an entity but demonstrates various techniques (painting a still life, creating a pencil drawing) using a variety of apps. It’s quite a useful book which is 19 x 24.5 cm and contains 144 pages and I’m sure it will help me succeed.
on 23 October 2013
Bought as gift and was loved. It is Simple and clear. Small enough to flick through. I would recommend this book.