Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 December 2013
If you are a photographer you will know that jaded feeling ... when inspiration seems lacking, when it is cosy indoors and blowing a hooley outside and you just cannot be bothered to do anything unless it involves coffee on the hour, every hour, and it lasts an hour.

This book lasted me two hours - I read fast - and reignited my enthusiasm and imagination whilst reminding me of stuff about why I got into photography in the first place way back in 1947 [Yes! Really!]

I enjoyed it and think you will too - especially when compared with another book on the genre that I stupidly ordered on the same day.
on 18 July 2013
Fiscalstudent's review here tells you just what this book is about. Of course, for 'experienced' photographers some of the advice might seem to be verging on the obvious, but that doesn't detract from the good things about this little book. It is easy to digest the info inside and the final section that introduces the work of several current street shooters is very interesting - don't be put off by comments that the pics in this section are too small, Ms Nagar has included each photographer's web address so you can easily check out their work in detail on your iPad etc. - it is 2013 after all.
on 13 March 2015
This is not a good book. The information within is very basic and the illustrative images are among the least inspiring I think I have ever seen. It aims low. Street photography can be sublime - see the likes of Matt Stuart on in-public(dot)com - but you'll find nothing of that calibre here. The danger is someone might come away thinking they can take a picture of a pavement using expired film and have street photography nailed. The book does make a competent attempt at explaining the fundamentals of camera operation, but there are books out there that do it better. And there's the internet, of course. Give this one a miss.
on 23 October 2012
Well-written, interesting and informative book on the art of street photography. Tanya Nagar is herself a very capable street photographer, and covers the subject in great depth. The book is printed on good quality paper, with each page featuring a selection of photographs (both colour and black and white) to illustrate the text. The New Street Photography Manifesto may only be 175 pages in length, but the author manages to cover every aspect of this genre of photography.

The final chapter interviews eleven street photographers on their approach to taking street pictures.

Illustrations are accompanied with captions on which camera, lens, etc., was used throughout the book.

As a someone who has recently begun to devote more time to street photography, I found The New Street Photography Manifesto very helpful.

Recommended.
on 12 December 2013
I work as a photography tutor and bought this as research material when working on a new workshop. Having spent 2 years as a street photographer, I felt like I needed some help to bind a lot of the things I had learned into something coherent and structured that would be to everyone's understanding.

If you're an amateur this is the perfect book for you to get you started with street photography. It's very focused and articulate. She doesn't waste time with unessential details and doesn't throw too much information at you to make you confused. She does bring up a lot of issues you may encounter that I've not seen discussed in other books of this sort. It's fairly jargon free, which can be very helpful to beginners.

If you happen to have a lot of experience in street photography, I would still recommend reading this as it's a well written material that brings up new ideas/ways of going about things.
on 23 February 2013
Firstly the size was a bit of a shock as it's smaller than expected, but this is also the type of book it is , small and informative, something that you take with you and is not going to get left on the coffee table. Some points I don't agree with but then, that's photography, But buy it! for such a price, it's also a bargain buy!
on 17 January 2014
After photographing the usual stuff for the past 45 years, I happened across Street Photography. It brought together two of my passions, people watching and photography, in a really exciting way. I want to do it right, as well as enjoy it, so I have read just about everything I can get my hands on. One thing I have noticed, is that there are a very large proportion of street photographers who are anal about what 'street' is. Let me put in my two penny's worth - it doesn't have to be in black and white, on film, or shot with a Leica. It's what you want it to be, what brings you pleasure and excitement and fun. Which leads me on to this book. It's for beginners, or those who are not very experienced. It is for me, a synopsis of all the learning I have recently done, and I've done loads. It is easy to read, is clear and concise and covers everything you need to get started. I would highly recommend it. And when you've done what it teaches, read some more from the clenched bottom brigade and I've no doubt you will learn something more. Unfortunately it was bought for me at full price, and I wish they'd gone to Amazon. But it was still worth every penny and I highly recommend it.
on 23 February 2013
It's always uncomfortable giving negative feedback on someone's work but it's impossible to know who this book is aimed at - maybe the advice on page 110 gives a clue, 'If shooting in bad weather, it's always useful to be wearing a hooded top/jacket rather than carry an umbrella, which can make shooting difficult if you have to carry that as well as your camera'.The book is full of such banal commentary and what it certainly isn't is a street photographers' manifesto - very little is actually about street photography - there's short sections on all sorts of basics - like using the most simple tools of Photoshop, lenses, cameras etc. It seems to be written for someone who knows absolutely nothing about photography. The images throughout the book (presumably the authors) are very ordinary to say the most and would be shamed by most camera club presentations throughout the country every week of the year. The very best bit is Part 6, Presentations, where 11 very capable and interesting street photographers explain their work -but even this is largely ruined by minisule images - here was the potential core of a real book aimed at those interested in street photography.
77 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 October 2012
I ordered this book half by accident, searching for Kodak Portra and this came up the results. I ordered a copy anyway.
Turns out that it is a bloomin' marvellous mistake, what a jolly good little book. 'Tis full of useful wee hints, lovely pictures and whatnot.
Quite inspirational. I highly reccommend it.

Can you dig it? Yes, you probably can.

Toodle-pip!
on 4 January 2014
brought this as a joke for my son but as with the other reviews he found some of the tips and ideas to be of benefit. delivery was good. woukd recommend