Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 June 2013
I found Kristiane's spiritual journey fascinating - and particularly so considering current events. I have long believed that a true muslim is far removed from the fundamentalists we see on the news headlines and this wonderful exploration of what it means to embrace the Islamic faith completely endorses that belief. The book is full of insights into the music industry coupled with insights into the complexities of faith - a rollercoaster that tries to answer as many questions as it asks. On one level it is a romp through a who's who of celebrities in the 80s and 90s, on another it is a stimulating and thought provoking read.

I suspect there is a little of Kristiane in all of us. A need to find something that makes sense of the world and gives meaning to our lives. She was brave enough to search for and find it.
on 22 August 2012
I read this book with interest as someone who remembered seeing the author on MTV when I was a teenager. The transformation from an MTV presenter to a practising Muslim woman sounds acute, but the book shows a natural progression over the years along a journey which has led to a series of interesting twists and turns through a host of well known people. But it is not the celebrity aspect which makes the book interesting, it is the spiritual journey which clearly continues to be taken by so many western educated, female professionals. The book sheds light on what draws women to a faith which continues to get consistently bad press. The book seperates facts about Islam from fiction and it offers a profound insight into its spiritual attraction.
on 29 May 2013
As a non-Muslim who many years ago had a Muslim boyfriend, this book was a perfect read for me. She writes very clearly about what attracted her to Islam and especially, about her research into the aspects which are a 'turn-off' for so many who just read popular media judgements of Islam. If those who criticize were to read this first, they would learn much that they cannot learn in the popular press. And if all converts read this first, or carried out the same in-depth research as the author, there would be fewer concerns about extremist converts. Such an excellent book.
on 30 October 2013
I found this book extremely interesting and thoroughly enjoyable. It was great to get a European woman's perspective on Islam and how she can live her Western life according to the Qur'an and her beliefs. Highly recommend.
on 24 August 2013
I had seen this book on the shelves, but my prejudice about the music industry stopped me buying it. However I downloaded it to my I phone and read it on holiday in Morocco. To my surprise I could not put it down. It seemed to mirror my own experiences as a convert to the faith. I shed tears when reading if the death of Gui Eaton because I met him briefly and know his was a deep faith not the superficial faith so prevalent today. Ms Backer's attitude to life and faith is refreshing. She has been bullied and bruised by the shallow hard liners if the faith, but is coming through as a strong woman of faith who is accepting Islam on her terms, and it is hypocrisy to do otherwise. This is a window into the Faith of European Islam from the converts perspective.
on 7 September 2013
I found this book very interesting and gave me more information on the Muslin way of life. Kristiane has had an interesting evolvement into Islam and is a truly inspirational lady. I read this on holiday and although some of the detail went over my head I was always keen to find out more about her life and that of those following the Muslim faith. Well worth readin!
on 3 July 2013
I would highly recommend this book if one wishes to understand more about Islam, Muslims and their culture. It was also interesting reading about Kristane's experience of having to deal with the change from one religion to another and people's reactions to this.
on 24 June 2013
A beautiful journey by Kristiane backer into the depths of Islam. This is a highly recommended read for Muslims and non Muslims into the understanding of this beautiful religion.
on 2 June 2013
I am really enjoyed about this lady's spiritual journey and learning more about Islam. It is quite well written and a very interesting story, worth reading by anyone who would like to know more about the Moslem religion from a positive point of view.
on 26 March 2013
I am deeply sceptical of both celebrity biographies in general and celebrity books on spritual matters in particular. But on coming across this book I recalled an article some years ago in the Evening Standard about Ms Backer and her embrace of Islam. It was an engaging article, and as someone of the same faith; I thought I would give the book a go. I am very glad I did.

This is a surprisingly affecting book. Thought provoking throughout and deeply emotional in parts. The impact is all the greater due to the writing style : it is not only accessible; but is understated, open and sincere. There is no melodrama in this memoir. There is no sense at all of Kristiane Backer being a "victim" - or any element of misery in fact (devices which are, unfortunately, often used in memoirs to gain sympathy and shift a few extra units). It is just a story of what seems to be a fundamentally happy and decent person learning about life and striving to understand its meaning. That ought to make for a pretty anodyne read, and yet this book has something about it that gets under the skin and encircles the heart.

As far as Kristiane's views on Islam in British and European society are concerned; they are perceptive and sensible. I could not disagree with any of them.

The late and must missed Gai Eaton (who makes the occasional appearance in this memoir) I'm sure would be very proud of the progress Kristiane has made over the past two decades.

In the entertainment industry there is the concept of a "sleeper hit" - a film or song which achieves great and enduring popularity through word of mouth rather than through extensive promotion. I rather think that this book may well be a sleeper hit. It certainly deserves to be.