Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2013
A wonderful book of special appeal to those of us interested in poetry, medicine and the Cardiff area.
My husband and I have each appreciated Dannie's style of writing, his memories and anecdotes. He traces his childhood from his birth in 1923 in Splot in Cadiff, his life growing up with his parents, brothers and older sister, his medical career and ongoing lifelong love and knowledge of poetry. The book ends after the tragic death of his wife in a car accident in 2005. We have since bought his subsequent book 'The Presence'. Please keep writing Dannie!
on 19 October 2014
I bought this book following a radio report of Dannie Abse's death and a brief resumé of his life. I am not a literarty critic so can not comment on the technical qualities of this book, but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, covering as it does the same period as my own life - the War, National Service in the RAF, etc.
on 2 August 2016
How well it describes his life linked to South Wales but being a Londoner and being a poet and a Medical Doctor at the same time. A unique mixture .
on 12 June 2015
A lovely autobiography of the great Welsh Jewish poet Dannie Abse. You cannot fail to be moved by his fascinating account of his life and times.
on 16 March 2015
thanks again real Dannie abse fan