on 22 November 2012
When I was a child, my Victorian and Edwardian great aunts and aunts made butterflies from wired beads, on long stems, to put amongst artificial and real flowers. I was fascinated by the dragonfly; the use of clear beads to give the transparent effect of its wings, with the wire showing through adding to the lacy effect. Fuse wire was then used.
This book has some 30 designs as accurate as beads allow; all appear to have been made by different people who give the materials needed and provide a coloured layout plan of the beads, like a tapestry plan, as well as instructions with clear, drawn illustrations of each stage.
There are no spiders included amongst the insects to deter arachnophobes.
There is no page of suppliers, but the internet has probably made this redundant.
I would suggest looking-up Rock n' Gem, and Rock n' Bead shows: these are held all through the UK, throughout the year, often at racecourses, all with more than adequate, onsite parking, and the stall-holders all seem to be a font of knowledge. Prices seem much lower than anywhere else, and you get to examine the goods before buying. All suppliers seem to do a postal service once you have the confidence about what you will get through the post.
Had I not wanted this book for a Christmas present, [unfortunately, now not possible, as too creased in the post] I should have saved myself the postage and have purchased it from one of Rock n' Gem's sellers. All the fairs, whatever the title, have glass beads, books, tools, and enthusiasm. They are very happy, friendly affairs. [Did I make a pun?]
on 29 June 2012
This book is a well illustrated photo tutorial with easy to follow instructions.
It's a great Gallery of Bugs from around the world to make and draw inspiration from.
A must for the library of anyone interested in in taking up jewelery making, or for established jewelery designers.

The 30 projects within can be made with a small setup outlay. They are good representations of real bugs, and when you've mastered the simple techniques and made a few of them, you'll be well on your way to designing your own.

Thanks to Nicola Tedman and Jean Power for your efforts in putting this delightful publication together.
on 22 April 2013
This is a fantastic book, filled with beautiful photography and very clear instructions. I have never ever done beading before and I managed to make the first butterfly very easily, in just over a day. I found the instructions were very clear and well written. This is a very addictive hobby. Very good for beginners, can't recommend this book enough.
on 14 September 2015
Bought this 2013 as my missus liked the look of the bugs and I wanted something to get my arm etc working after a stroke so a good incentive. Instructions easy and straight forward and after a bit of trial and error getting the right beads I found it good therapy and enjoyable. There's quite a few different ones to make and swopping the colours round gets good effects, the only drawback is like me you might get lots of requests for the little beasts.
on 8 August 2014
Really wish the blurb had stated that these are made with wire! I wrongly assumed they were done with needle and thread and therefore it is not really what I wanted.

The bugs are very cute and pretty and I will have a go, but would have preferred sewing patterns with beads instead.
on 4 November 2014
This is an excellent book and has given me a lot of fun making bugs! The colour charts are easy to follow but you do need to refer back to the instructions of one bug whilst doing another, in some cases, to check on the order and method of construction.
on 1 December 2014
Wonderful little book. The designs are beautiful and extremely well thought out, the instructions are very clear and precise, easy to follow even by a total beginner like me. I highly recommend this book, one of my favorite on beading.
on 26 June 2012
I was really excited with the anticipation of receiving this book as I had a project I wanted to get on with right away. Overall the book is good and I do like the designs. However, for me it was a slight let down on the butterflies, and butterflies is what I wanted most. The designs are good, however they are for non-european varieties of butterfly and it would have been nice to have some information included on how to readily modify the design to create your own species for your locality. So I need to do some work on these after all before I can get along with the project I had.

Maybe the author would consider a new book with european bugs and butterflies?
on 10 May 2013
I adore butterflies and to find a book that combines my love of beading with my love of butterflies was just brilliant.
on 8 April 2013
I bought this book as a gift for my friend ( and two others books in the same range ). Really nice book, bright pictures, clear charts ( bear in mind I have no idea how to do anything with beads :) ) I even was interested in this crafting and thinking about trying to make something for myself :) Very tempting book!