on 22 November 2013
Mother-in-law, now 88 used to be a volunteer at a National Trust property, working in the tea room. She lost her recipe notes during a recent house move and we bought this to make up for the loss. She loves it and I get the benefit of the fantastic cakes she has been able to make again after several years of soggy and collapsed efforts.
on 10 August 2015
I make cakes very often as many of my friends and co-workers can't cook and often call on me to cater for their every (cake) need, so I'm always on the look-out for new and enticing recipes and this book has exceeded my expectations.

Full of easy to make cakes that even the novice baker won't baulk at tackling, the book is written in an easy to understand style; nice font so it doesn't strain the eyes, and the recipes are mostly very short - a case of shoving all the ingredients in a bowl and stirring is often all that's required. If you have a stand food mixer, it's even easier.

Recipes I have tried are:

Chocolate Orange Drizzle Cake (Page 129) - delish!
Date & Walnut Loaf (Page 35) - lovely served with a light spreading of Lurpak or salty butter with a cuppa in the afternoon
Herb Bread (Page 29) - nice to accompany a light supper with cheeses, pickles, ham instead of sandwiches
Wilfra Apple Cake (Page 102) - scrumptious
Spicy Apple Flan (Page 96) - ditto!
Linzer Biscuits (Page 112) - my family is Austrian, so I added lemon zest to adhere to the original Linzer Torte
Mincemeat Cake (Page 151) - handy if you need to use up the mincemeat you've had in your cupboard for a few years!
American Zucchini Cake (Page 158) - I'm a huge fan of using veggies in cakes (see Harry Eastwood's recipe book too) and this one's STUNNING
Orange & Lemon Cake (Page 165) - easy to make, easy to eat
Carrot Cake with Lime Topping (Page 162) - a nice quirky twist on the often too 'sickly' topping - this has a welcome and scrumptious twang to it

So if you want to learn how to bake - or even if you're an accomplished/keen baker like me - this is definitely the book for you. Or if you want to give a lovely gift to someone who wants to learn how to bake, give them this book together with an apron, mixing bowl and wooden spoon and they will thank you forever!
on 3 September 2013
If you enjoy baking and also are an avid fan of National Trust tearooms this is a book definitely to have on the shelf.. I have tried several recipes, the instructions are clear with excellent photographs and I've not been disappointed with the results. Do try the Bara Brith a recipe from Erddig made with red wine, it's delicious and the herb bread is so easy to make and perfect to accompany salads and BBQs.
on 4 January 2014
Now this is a great cook book, nicely illustrated and clear and concise to follow, and I'm not the greatest of bakers.
I would definately get their other cook books, they are on my wish list.
on 5 June 2015
This book is absolutely brilliant. Compared to a lot of the more modern baking books, there are a lot of recipes not full of chocolate or covered in piles of buttercream (which is helpful when you have a chocolate allergy !!). I have a real fanclub at work for the orange crisp biscuits which are a doddle and absolutely gorgeous. The majority of recipes are really easy, with very clear instructions.
on 14 March 2014
Beautifully illustrated great recipes lovely information about the origins of the recipes. Would like to see this offered cheeper. Love the feel of the cover gives an old fashioned feel to it.
on 2 February 2014
I bought this for a couple of friends who like baking, both have given it rave reviews and I get regular texts about how good the cakes are
on 21 August 2015
I had seen this book before and couldn't wait to get my own copy! Fantastic book!
on 1 November 2015
Fabulous recipes - family and friends love the cakes
on 21 July 2016
Product arrived promptly and as described