Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2011
After enjoying several Dawn2Dusk workshops run by Ross Hoddinott and Mark Bauer, I was hoping that the Landscape Photography Workshop book would be equally enjoyable and informative. I was not disappointed and the book combines beautiful and inspiring pictures, with straight forward and clearly presented advice. Having purchased several of Ross' books on previous occasions (Digital Exposure Handbook,The Digital Photographers Guide to Filters: The Complete Guide to Hardware and Software Filtration and Digital Macro Photography), Ross and Mark have produced a well designed and informative "workshop" which take you through a range of considerations from equipment to creative assignments. The quality of the printing and binding is also good.

The chapters cover a comprehensive range of topics: Equipment, Exposure, Composition, Lighting, Filtration, Types of landscape, Advanced Technique, Post-processing, Printing and Creative assignments.

An excellent addition to your bookshelves for photographers of all abilities.
on 17 January 2012
I bought this as a complete newcomer to landscape photography using a Fuji Finepix S3300 bridge camera. I knew nothing about how my camera worked, let alone how to then use it to take breathtaking photographs of the beautiful Peak District landscape in which I live. A mere 2 weeks after buying this book, I can take pictures to the limit of my camera's ability and am thrilled with the results. This book teaches you everything you need to know and much more.

It is beautifully written and illustrated. What I love is that it is simple to understand yet provides you with all the depth of detailed understanding you need to put its advice into actual practice. Although it is written for users of DSLRs, it is easy to apply their principles to bridge cameras by using the latter's manual, aperture or shutter speed settings.

Anyhow, I cannot recommend this enough. Within a few days you'll be taking photos you cannot believe!
on 20 August 2011
I perhaps need to start by saying that I know both authors and have been on several of their 'live' workshops (thoroughly enjoyed and well worth while) so perhaps this isn't the most impartial review but please read on, this is still a book that needs your serious consideration. The book is very well written and the advice is they give encompasses every aspect of Landscape Photography in a clearly accessible manner with a realistic view of how the vast majority of us take photographs. They discuss both the artistic and technical sides of photography, and the fact that this is a recent book shows in some of the equipment they discuss and some of the current trends in landscape photography that they review. The book is very well illustrated with Ross and Mark's work and the well reproduced images are carefully chosen to emphasise the points they are making. Although I have been taking photographs for several years and so am no longer a beginner I still found plenty to interest me and some timely reminders of ideas and information that I had forgotten. Workshops are an excellent idea but if you can't find the time or the money then this is well worth your attention.
on 8 August 2011
This is a brilliantly clear and succinct guide to all aspects of landscape photography. Fully up to date it should prove invaluable for both those who are new to this field and those with previous experience.
on 30 June 2011
I have quite a few books on landscape photography and my favourite to date has beenDigital SLR Expert: Landscapes: Essential Advice from the Pros which is packed with excellent advice and inspirational work from some of the biggest names in the business. How then does Hoddinott and Bauer add value? Easy - it's a coherent piece of work in a way that a multi-contributor volume like Mackie et al. can't quite match. This really is a workshop in a book and its full of inspirational photographs taken by the authors alongside practical technical information on camera settings, colours and composition. I strongly recommend it. However, be warned, if you don't already own one this book might leave you yearning for a 10 stop ND filter - or maybe that's just me! I
on 14 February 2012
By far one of the best Landscape Photography book I ever bought. The photos are astonishing and the things you are learning are very important.
It's broken in 10 chapters:
Advanced technique
Post-Processing
Printing
Creative assignments

It's encouraging you to practice, the book is well written, simple and comfortable and everything feels in it's right place.
It's giving you allot of feedback like exposure tables, color schemes and every photo encourages you to understand the data begin it's own histogram.
It does feel like a hole course with tables and things to memorate but those HD quality photos also give impression of an art book.
on 5 November 2014
This book is full of succinct advice and inspiring images. It is easy to follow for someone who is familiar with DSLRs but wants to get into landscape photography. I read everything I needed to over a couple of weeks, bought a few 85mm filters, learnt about expose to the right, and now I feel confident when I am out hunting for landscape that I have the potential to capture something great.
on 11 July 2012
I am a passionate hobby photographer. I would like to think that I have gained some experience in shooting portraits. I am not very good at landscapes though, so I thought I ought to study a book written by professionals. The authors of this book really succeeded in publishing a printed "workshop". I am now much more confident when it comes to taking photos of landscapes.
on 31 August 2011
As my main photographic interest is landscapes I found this book to be very helpful. It is written clearly and is backed up with many lovely photographs taken by the authors. Mark Bauer and Ross Hoddinott are two of my favourite landscape photographers so for me, this book was a must!
on 28 March 2012
From a point-and-shoot background, I wanted to expand my knowledge to create quality photos. Confused by the wide array of books available, I researched everything I could find and eventually chose three: The Landscape Photography Workshop; The Photographer's Eye (Freeman); Understanding Exposure (Peterson). All three have been excellent in their own way and I rank them in that order, but The Landscape Photography Workshop has proved much the best for me. It is thorough, well laid out and beautifully illustrated. Above all, I found the text very easy to follow - straightforward, clear and concise. No need to wade through acres of repetitive copy trying to discern key learnings. This superb book is pleasant and informative to read and a good reference tool. Very highly recommended.