Customer reviews

on 21 February 2015
This book/zine is fantastic. Yes it is small but that's not the reason you're buying it. You're buying it for the quality of the story and illustrations. The level of detail in the printing process is amazing. The colours are so vivid and and so rich, they almost feel 'solid'. At first I was dubious about being paperback, without a spine they don't stand very well, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The paperback-ness of it kind of makes it. It feels 'hot of the press', instant, like you've received a special exhibition edition. I've only just discovered Nobrow, but I'm so happy I found them, thank god theres some great people out there making amazing work without charging the earth for it. Can't fault this issue, oh and the smell! the paper smell gets 5 stars on its own.
on 8 March 2017
24 pages of hauntingly stunning art and an atmospheric heart-warming story. The New Ghost follows the story of a ghost on his first day. It’s a little gem of a graphic novel and although a very quick read, manages to effortlessly accomplish lots in a short amount of time. I loved this to pieces and I know I will re-read this for many times to come.
on 19 March 2017
I love it, might by his graphic novel more. :)
on 15 January 2013
The New Ghost is one of the most beautifully drawn and put together books I have on my book shelf: the paper is thick and matte, and is the sort of paper you just want to rub your face against; Rob Hunter uses space in an innovative and beautiful way, making following the story an experience in itself (which is, after all, one of the main aspects of a graphic novel); the story is sweet and poignant. It is the sort of book you want to share with everyone, because everyone should know and celebrate it, but that you also want to keep all to yourself because you want to savour the private magic of it. Rob Hunter has struck ghostly gold in the writing of The New Ghost; I cannot recommend this highly enough.
on 5 May 2014
A ghost on his first day as a ghost gets separated from the other ghosts floating across the sky. On Earth, he befriends an astronomer before witnessing what looks like an abduction by the other ghosts - and now they’re after him and his astronomer friend!

Robert Hunter’s sweetly surreal comic is an inventive, fable-like story that continuously usurps the readers’ expectations on where it’s headed, managing to keep the reader engaged the whole way through. The book also makes ghosts seem more interesting as a result - rather than wandering aimlessly through castles or manor houses forever, Hunter gives them a far better purpose and a more exciting afterlife.

Though brief at 24 pages - and really more of a single issue comic than a trade paperback/graphic novel - it’s a satisfying read with Hunter displaying a strong understanding of how to tell a story as a comic. Using different sized panels, the story flows very naturally with the text and pictures complementing each other nicely.

I’m not sure I would say the story leaves much of an impression, especially due to its brevity, but if nothing else The New Ghost shows the potential of this writer/artist who could well go on to create something more substantial and powerful in the future. For now though, The New Ghost is a promising beginning and a decent comic.
on 23 June 2015
I absolutely loved The New Ghost by Rob Hunter! I fell in love with the beautiful illustrations and sweet story. I'll be keeping it nearby to re read many times when I need inspiration or a pick me up. I love the Nobrow 17X23 series of short graphic novels/comics. I will definitely be buying more from Nobrow and the 17X23 series.
on 12 January 2014
At 24 pages or so I couldn't really call this a comic novel, so comic book will have to do but it doesn't really do this little wonder much justice.

Limited palette, muted colours, very artistically drawn and more importantly a beautiful story. Ghosts fly in the sky and our narrator is the new ghost following his colleagues trying to find his role. He engages with humans and eventually meets a stargazer who he bonds with. He has to save the stargazer from the other ghosts. I won't say anymore because I really don't want to spoil the book. At just under £5 you'd be hard pushed to find a better way to spend your money.

As an aside, I'd like to highlight the publishing project that got this little book out - 17x23 is a project to get graphic short stories out and help talented new writers/creators. I will definitely be seeking out other books under this umbrella.
on 22 March 2013
The textures and colours in the illustrations of this haunting story are just the ticket to feed my thirst for stories. Check out Nobrows other publications, the quality of the paper and print is perfect throughout.
on 28 December 2016
I bought this for my son as it was on his Christmas list - I was (as the buyer) slightly disappointed with the thickness and volume. My son, however, loves it.
on 10 October 2015
I absolutely love this zine, I would buy more from the author/artist. I was surprised at how short this was, but still a good read.