on 26 August 2016
This book is great , it had all the information I needed as a new beginner in this area.Very useful and informative for anyone who has little or no knowledge of what is involved when thinking of using a solar energy system. It is so easy to understand, I would definitely recommend it.
Thanks
on 3 October 2015
Best one around at the time of purchase. Good in relation to theory, practical planning and installation. Got me out of trouble when having to teach it, as part of a wider electrical installation course.
on 28 May 2016
interesting read
on 21 August 2011
I'm a Renewables Assessor and wanted a quick simple read to remind myself of the Solar Industry. I can thoroughly recommend this book to newcomers to the industry who want to learn more about the designing and installing of PV. Cannot actually find a fault and the fact that it is related to a website make this purchase a no-brainer. If you don't buy it, then you're missing out.
on 28 February 2013
This book is very informative on the regulation for the installation of solar panels and explains how to plan the installation
on 15 October 2014
Present
on 26 August 2015
Good source of reference.
on 25 July 2012
Contains some useful calculations; but apart from these couple of pages the rest of the book is very basic. Not ideal for any industry insider or student.

May however be useful to those with no prior knowledge on the subject, but the content of the book does not justify the cost
on 25 November 2011
Rather than simply being a "hop on the Solar pv bandwagon" Mike Boxwell has great credentials dating back a good few years via his own experiences & interest (ongoing) within the renewables field generally.

I'm a member of a few renewables forums so fairly well versed in this area, this book is aimed at those dipping their foot in the water who may need to swot up & refresh their knowledge to beat a tricky less than honest salesman, to chart the amount of likely solar energy within your area based on seasonal variances, & plenty of other very useful information contained within one place that will save you a lot of time & bookmarking, to-ing & fro-ing on the web!
shading, sting sets & other information that may otherwise baffle you, & have to be taken on trust from an installer.

In fact I need to get my copy back from an electrician friend who hates computers but wanted to be able to understand & convey to potential customers without blinding them in electrical regulations & acronyms, ..so I guess the basic system set-up can be cited as a form of customer service getting customers to understand the shell of photovoltaics without having to tinker under the bonnet, ideal book that won't dazzle you with the deeper realms of a system but conveys a sense of honesty & integrity in it's delivery & intended purpose to it's audience.

For me this is perfect for explaining the why's & wherefores to my wife & allows me to get the whle point across without the listener or reader losing the plot along the way.

As others have said it is a short read, therefore easily digested, it does contain the essential elements & can easily be brought into play to educate a great cross section of people.

What it is not is a large solar system self install manual, & if you wan't to do that without the knowledge of experienced fitters & electricians I would not wan't to live under your roof my friend.

Perfect for those wishing to tackle small projects, basic off grid & working out the power to hours versus watts equations that can make solar set ups work or fail!

Highly recommended!
on 27 June 2011
Great handbook. Few things are questionable though; for instance the way electricity is explained could be even simpler or the fact that advantages of monocrystalline panels for the British climate are not fully confirmed by the author makes it a book with a room for improvements. But when I saw the analysis of our own energy requirement coming within seconds from submission of the form on the website, I was delighted. To top up my satisfaction, Mr. Boxwell sent a reply to my question I've asked him regarding our own solar installation. All this means to me the man is truly committed to the solar energy use and its propagation among those who are willing to give it a go. The analysis and other beneficial info come entirely free, so greed certainly does not apply.
This handbook is in my humble opinion a truly sustainable stuff (literature that has a future in terms of use and abuse of the Earth's resources) and it's also updated regularly so there is no fear it will ever become unreadable.