on 12 June 2012
Not knowing anything about the life of a diplomat, I only read this after a friend recommended I should. And I'm glad I did!
Great stories from all around the world - even some saucy bits!!
Fab Father's Day present, or anytime for anyone who wants to be amused, entertained and educated in easy bite-sized chunks!
I have now passed it to my 13 year old son who is also enjoying the travels.
And a great advert for a career in the Foreign Office!
on 26 December 2012
The tales from around the world, from behind the Iron Curtain, the Far East and Australasia and closer to home are fascinating to read. Having heard the author on Radio 4 and with knowledge of previous lectures I embarked upon this book with eager anticipation and was not disappointed. For anyone wanting an insight into the workings on Government and diplomacy, this is a must.
on 12 June 2012
I have to admit that I didn't immediately think I would like this, and I was right... I loved it!
Great story telling about things that I have read about in the news and now know just a little bit more about. The life of one of Her Majesty's diplomatic envoys is way different from what I imagined, and the pages turned like a compulsive novel.
Definitely worth a read!
on 28 February 2013
I was really enjoying this book up to the last couple of chapters when it seemed to suddenly turn into a bit of a sour grapes rant, that made me not want to finish the book, however I did but it did spoil my enjoyment of what had been a good read.I even recognised a childhood aquaintance of mine in one of the chapters which was a pleasant surprise.
on 13 January 2013
I'm afraid this book is proving a disappointment . It's a worthy, 'for the record' run through the author's career, but for me goes into far too much arcane diplomatic detail . I've got about half way through , but I'm unlikely to last the course.

I think the problem lies in the title. Having been spoilt by such a lot of excellent published travel 'anecdotage' over the last two decades, I'd expected this to be in the same arena, with lots of rich local detail about the countries, their peoples and their cultures.

So ...... probably a good intro if you're pondering a lifelong career in Whitehall and its 'colonies' , but not a light or engaging read for the Tube . You get what you pay for I suppose .
on 7 January 2013
Well written in English as it should be written although I did need my dictionary once or twice. An interesting thoroughly good read which also gives an insight to some unexpected characters in various governments.
on 12 March 2013
A fascinating recall of a diplomatic life, shared by his wife and lived in different parts of the world. Very readable.
on 28 May 2013
I got this book on a Kindle offer and l am glad l did. It was a good read, interesting and l particularly enjoyed the stories such as the author time in Bulgaria and Sydney. I did find the read at times a little deep getting lost in detail which encouraged me to skip quite a few pages. On reflection l enjoyed the read and don't feel l lost anything by skipping a few pages.
on 1 August 2015
A few amusing moments from the early days in Bulgaria and an insight into the world of diplomacy and international politics. On the whole though, a self-serving list of everyone Carrick has met, with a generous sprinkling of compliments to those who require a doff of the cap or have to power to serve out knighthoods and other orders of merit.
on 14 January 2014
Abit "ploddy" especially in the opening chapters. Overmuch name dropping, and too much about the faultless Lady Hilary. It covers several countries that I know well, but otherwise the book is heavy/steady going.