Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 June 2011
Ms Glazebrook has delivered a tour de force and may we please have more? A sensational read, brilliant turn of phrase. 'The Trouble With Alice' pulls off a difficult trick which is to start with tragedy (car crash leads to miscarriage, anorexia and ultimately the break-up of the central relationship) and gradually introduce humour, warmth and rebirth as the characters recover and learn how to live again.

These are challenging themes yet Ms Glazebrook retains an admirable lightness of touch throughout.

Bravo.
on 3 October 2011
This is a first novel. Glazebrook has created very well drawn characters and placed them in an atmosphere which wavers between the safe and unsafe. Contemporary issues are addressed - eating disorders, miscarriage, guilt, depression. Quite clearly, this is a fiction writer of some weight and we should look out for her next novel.
on 11 July 2011
A brilliant first book. Olivia is a good friend so I was apprehensive of reading it and not liking it but I cannot recommend this enough. I hardly read these days but I couldn't put this one down. Right from the first line you are sucked into a gripping, sad, funny, moving and totally believable story. Her use of the English language is exceptional. I can't wait for the next one.
on 11 May 2011
Simply relished every moment of 'The Trouble with Alice'.Wanted both to race onwards and linger slowly...Knowing,poignant,and gripping,Olivia Glazebrook's first novel is a subtle searing triumph.I refuse to talk about plot here,so will simply praise-and envy- her elegant prose.
on 3 July 2011
I went to school with Olivia and used to sit next to her, bored out my brain, in Biology. I've bought her book and am in the middle of reading it. Well done Olivia - it's brilliant so far!
on 12 June 2011
I rarely read fiction but I must admit that The Trouble With Alice hooked me from the first page until the last. I will definitely recommend this novel to my friends and, in fact, some of my friends might even get a copy as it would make a terrific gift.