on 29 December 2009
I really wanted to like this book, but I cannot find a single, positive thing to say about it or the author, though the author rarely says anything nice about most people so we're even there I guess. The book, for me, has no redeeming features, except a rather fetching cover which isn't even original. The writing is not in the least bit funny, nor even mildy interesting, the sentences ramble ... I gave up a third of the way through, something I have never, ever done before with any book, ever.

The only saving grace is that I borrowed this from the library and didn't waste any money on it. The author seems to question (often) why no-one offers him any work as a writer, the answer is simple, he has no talent.

Half of what I read seems to be just moaning about not being invited to things (award ceremonies, clubs, etc.) that he had no intention of attending or accepting - hilarious !! (No, not at all, sorry.)

I did wonder if he was being ironic but discounted that idea; he just seemed to be trying too hard and failing miserably.

Clearly according to some of the reviews here not everyone agrees with this viewpoint, but in my opinion you should avoid this book like the plague, in fact if you have the choice, opt for the plague, at least it will end, this book will never go away though it is already being consigned to the bargain bins as you will see by the fact that people are selling this at £2.99, rather than £12.99 - the list price.

Very disappointed.
11 people found this helpful
on 15 April 2010
i simply cannot recall laughing so hard, and aloud, while reading a book. this thing nearly killed me. when some poor joker is done by the authorities for, walking through a crowded swimming pool area and shouting, 'sorry, pardon me, paedophile coming through!' i nearly choked with laughter. this is often warped, always welcome and cripplingly funny.
One person found this helpful
on 8 August 2010
This book was confiscated on a recent holiday by my nine year old daughter. 'Laughing out loud like that about a book will make people think you are mad.' Roger Lewis has written the only laugh aloud book I have encountered since Roddy Doyle's The Van, which it is, of course, not at all like. Brilliantly funny- I am ordering three copies extra to send to friends, my best friends
2 people found this helpful
on 9 October 2009
then the book itself will probably set you off into a convulsion. Lewis is the voice of the everyman, if only the everyman was disgustingly bright, frighteningly insightful, and with an eye for the brilliant awfulness of most of life. I LOVE IT.
15 people found this helpful
on 16 August 2011
I agree with the other 1 star review, the tone just seemed bitter and whiney. I did not finish the book, so cannot comment fully.
One person found this helpful
on 26 December 2009
Just brilliant -- at any time of the year, but especially at Christmas. An eye for the absurd, a wonderful b-s radar and a truly brilliant line in invective. Of course, the biggest target in this book is the author himself, something that at least two of those who've written reviews here are too lumpen-brained to have noticed. Buy it. Enjoy.
3 people found this helpful
on 31 January 2010
I bought this book because the author lives locally and I love 'Round robins'

Having read and for some reason enjoyed it I would recommend it to anyone who can cope with arrogance but loves trivia, name and place dropping and has nothing better to do. At least one laugh on each page.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 October 2009
Choking with laughter, ascerbic, witty with wonderful asides from Barry Cryer overhead in the garden centre to demolition of knobs from Pinter to Cameron and delicious snippets from the supermarket and local paper. Dr Chris Schilling
11 people found this helpful
on 31 December 2009
Having read reviews of this book I was looking forward to "the most brilliantly funny ... book of the year". What a disappointment. I struggled through hoping to find something to laugh at and failed. I don't think I dislike anyone enough to give them this book.
6 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2014
a bit self indulgent, good writer