Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 30 July 2013
Lovely book, very imaginative and creative but achievable patterns. They are nicely presented and easy to simplify (or dress up) and to create your own version based on the ideas in the book.

Perhaps my only gripe is about sizing, as I found it frustrating that firstly a lot of the nicest patterns are only available in tiny baby sizes and secondly that no measurements are given for any of the garments. The first section is 3-9 months then it skips to 1-2 years, which is so vague! I am a nap time sewer without the time or inclination to make calico versions first - shame the editors didn't put a basic sizing chart at the front of the book, as almost all online patterns do now. My 15 month old is tall so it can be really hard to judge sizes for her without a chart.

Anyway I have made a couple of things from the book and just reworked the patterns to my daughter's measurements with trial and error and so far it has worked, as I have a fair amount of experience with dressmaking. The dresses I have made I have also polished a little with topstitching and a few amendments, which have probably been left out to prevent the instructions getting too long winded and off putting for a beginner.

I recommend the book highly but if it ever gets reprinted I hope they include a sizing chart!
on 29 March 2013
This book is a delight for sewing grannies everywhere! The designs are simple but different. I heartily recommend it to anyone who loves making children's clothes.
on 2 August 2013
This book, have some lovely ideas for a new person to sewing. I'm just starting out and feel that the ideas are 'cute' and should be easy to do. I agree with the comments about not many sizes in each pattern. I'm madly making 3 dresses for the summer, as come next summer the patterns won't fit. (she's 9 months). My biggist problem is, on the first dress I've made their is a big pattern error. The millefiori pattern, has about 15 cm too long on the leg length and is about 15 cm too short on thw top of the trousers, essentially there is no material to go under the flounce. I found out too late and ended up having to add a band of material in and then redo the legs. Also the bottom is very odd shaped - pointy! But quite easy to sew it straight. But now mastered it is cute!

Only problem is I'm now dubious to cut material and not know whether it'll end up wasted. They just need to publish a list of corrections. So now I'm left making up paper dummies first which adds to the time.

But I do like the book.
on 6 November 2012
I love the idea of this book but it didn't work for me. All the clothes that I wanted to make in this book were only available in baby sizes! Unfortunately the size ranges are really limited. For example the dress on cover could be worn by a 5 year old but the pattern size were only for baby sizes (6,9,12 months) and I don't have the skills to up size the patterns. I do think these books are good value for the number of patterns they included. There are a lot of clothes for babies in this book which makes the title misleading. There are a number of patterns for boys which is good. However I found the patterns in the girl sizes 3-5yrs (the reason I bought the book) either a little twee or odd. I didn't want to make any of them. Disappointing. I gave the book away to someone who had just become a grandmother as they hopefully will get some use out of it. Much prefered Emma Hardy's Making Clothes for Children which I have used endlessly.
on 20 October 2013
I have had this book for 6 months, making clothes for my new grand-daughter. It is very easy to follow, and economical if you trace off the patterns, so you can re-use them in different sizes.
I am quite experienced at dressmaking, but I feel that even a newcomer would find this easy to use, and so lovely to make original dresses etc from all the lovely fabrics available.
on 19 July 2014
This is a brilliant book. The patterns are easy to follow and make up. The clothes are lovely and are really children's clothes, not adult clothes in children's sizes, if you know what I mean. I've made 2 patterns already- the romper and the pinafore dress. There is a size chart - at the back of the book just before the pull out patterns so I don't know why another reviewer said there isn't a size chart. I'm an intermediate sewer and I find this book very easy to use. A confident beginner could definitely manage most of the patterns in this book.
on 22 January 2013
As good as expected. Nothing has been made yet but my wife is looking forward to trying during her maternaty leave.
on 17 January 2013
Made the dress on the front cover. The sizing was a little big but it did look very cute and sweet
on 3 September 2012
Great book, very pleased with it.
Contains lots of lovely clothes that are great in their simplicity to make, as well as to wear. Also very versatile as lots of the same patterns make a few variations, which is great. Also the clothes are good bases to adapt and embellish further yourself when you gain more confidence.
Ideal patterns for a less experienced seamtress!
Only negative would like more patterns for boys! But saying that the items for boys are far more limited in general!
on 31 January 2013
Great and simple patterns with easy to follow explanations for dear little dresses! Looking forward to seeing them on my granddaughter