Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 October 2011
I haven't made anything yet, but just looking through it I want to make it all. I have to admit I am an adult and am using this book for myself as my daughter is too young to have a go. But the projects look fun and easy and just as good for us grownups. I am going to make some things to go in stockings and to give as presents for Christmas.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2012
I bought this book to get some useful ideas for a workshop for adults with learning disabilities and it has proved an absolute hit. The projects whilst being aimed at children whom, I think, would find lots of useful and attractive things relatively easily made, also introduce many basic skills which can be built on both for children and for the adults I deal with. We have made several of the projects and everyone has enjoyed them immensly- the cat bag is next on the list. At the moment everyone is digging out their old tee shirts and those odd socks that hang around waiting for a match that never comes and those, together with a few bits of odd craft felt are going to turn into sock people and funky tee shirt cushions. I think these could keep children (and me) happy during rainy days in the summer holidays. I highly recommend this little book - useful, well written and very well illustrated.
on 2 May 2013
This is a beautifully presented book with clear instructions and delightful photographs. It has a large range of projects which are categorised according to their difficulty.

It also provides useful tips such as building up stocks of ribbons from presents etc, using buttons from discarded clothes. It also suggests specific projects from re-using clothes such as T-Shirts and Cardigans.

My only reason for not giving 4 stars is that the patterns need to be photo-copied AND enlarged. This may not be possible for some people and providing a little folder in the back with paper patterns would have been better.
on 22 May 2012
I was really excited about this book as both my children (aged 6 & 4) love sewing and making things. Unfortunately I was very disappointed when it arrived as many of the projects have already been published before. There were very few that I hadn't already seen or made. However if you are fairly new to sewing things with your children and looking for a suitable book with a nice variety of projects then this could be for you. Personally I would recommend you buy Made By Me.
on 4 February 2013
I bought this for my 7 year old grandson's birthday and he loves it. I am a keen needleworker and I want to teach him some design work and sewing basics - sewing on a button, running stitches and blanket stitch (so that he can sew on his award badges himself). I chose the book because the illustrations show a boy selecting fabric and although some the things are girly, there are plenty of things for him to make. It has certainly sparked an interest and he has made a pirate toy and an owl so far. I have emphasised changing designs and selecting different colours and buttons and it is a good basic book with clear instructions and illustrations. He is now planning something for his younger brother. It is all hand work as far as I can see but I am teaching him to use my electric sewing machine to speed up the processes - for a boy this is great!!
on 10 September 2013
My First Sewing Book is ideal for children from age 7 upwards but I think that many of the 35 sewing projects are the type of activity that my daughter (nearly 5) and I could get started on together.

Every project has step-by-step instructions that I find easy to understand. Projects such as a simple felt bag in the shape of a cat, a sock monster or an egg cosy might be attemptable with a slightly younger child such as my daugher - in fact, we intend to make a Christmas Stocking together in the run up to Christmas as well as some very simple felt tree decorations which she can help me to cut and can add her own embroidery to as a first foray into the world of needlework.

I picture my daughter spending an entire school holiday at some point in the future working through lots of the projects in the book - for slightly more adventurous children there are instructions for making rag dolls and their clothes, a gardening bag or a lovely owl doorstop/cushion.

Lots of the projects involve recycling of fabric that you might already have around the house such as old t-shirts or fabric cut-offs. Most of the exercises use simple running stitches but some of the gifts and more decorative pieces involve more decorative stitches.

I think this is a great introduction to sewing, both for creating pieces but also for decorating them and I can't wait to get started with my two girls.
on 22 January 2013
I borrowed this book from the library and found so many nice simple ideas for sewing projects that I decided to buy the book from amazon, as I knew this would be a book that we would turn to again and again. The projects are very simple yet effective and the instructions are nicely laid out step by step for a novice to follow. If you have a child who expects you to be able to make wonderful things with her and you are lacking the know how, then this is the book for you!
on 4 January 2014
Good clear layout with a variety of projects using different materials and techniques
Only downside is the need to photocopy templates by 200% other books include them full size on paper inserts
on 2 June 2013
My 9 year old daughter got this from the library and was so inspired by it that I had to find a copy. Lots of lovely projects that she could try herself as well as many that I would like to try myself! Roll on the summer holidays!
on 22 December 2013
I bought this for my 10 year old daughter after she had first borrowed it from the school library. It has kept her fully occupied and she has produced some lovely items which she is very proud of. She was able to undertake these projects fairly independently which was also a great bonus!