Customer reviews

on 13 February 2013
The best book I have on this subject with very clear guidance on equipment, ingredients and safety. So far I have made the rose and red clay cleanser, the jojoba and macadamia cleansing oil, the argan eye serum, the lavendar and clary sage bath bombs, the bath melts, the rosehip treatment balm, the cocoa butter lipbalm sticks, the geranium and orange massage bars and the dead sea detox bath salts. All the recipes have been a HUGE success, even the lip balm sticks which I was not convinced I would manage to get into the tubes. The cleansers, eye serum and rosehip balm are outstanding - way better than my current (very expensive and natural) products and I have noticed a significant improvement in my skin in the short time I have been using them. There is still a long list of products to make from this book, I just haven't worked my way through them all yet. I am delighted with this purchase and cannot wait for Karen Gilbert's perfume book to be published in the autumn.
on 7 January 2012
I'm so glad I bought this book! I'm not a complete beginner when it comes to making my own cosmetic products, so I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough new and challenging projects in here. I needn't have worried though - there's so many lovely looking recipes I want to try, I can't decide where to start!

This book goes beyond the basics, although there's still plenty for beginners. I'm particularly looking forward to trying out my own handwash and shower gels, as well as some of the lovely looking lotions and moisturisers.

The instructions are clear, the photography and presentation is beautiful and there's tons of useful information & resources you won't find in similar books in this genre. I'm crossing my fingers that Karen is working on a book on perfumery - I'd love to see more of her work.
on 4 November 2012
I bought this book as I fancied trying to make some of my own beauty products but have never had to nerve to try it. This book provides very clear recipes (with alternatives to try) and easy to follow instructions with nice photographs to illustrate the steps. It also provides guidance about preservatives and shelf lifes for those worried about ending up with things that have gone off. The exotic sounding ingredients and containers can be bought online and some are available at a pharmacist. My first attempt was the chocolate orange lip balm. I thought it would be a mess but I followed the instructions and it turned out perfectly as well as being an excellent lip balm. I can't wait to try more.
on 6 September 2012
This is a really well laid out book with different sections on types of products, and delicious photography. Loads of recipes! It also covers details on many of the preservatives available to purchase, and to some degree, their effectiveness as well as suitablility. It would be interesting to see how someone like the Ethical Consumer Magazine rates these preservatives to help me in choosing them. It covers homemade ingredients from the pantry and recommeded shelf lifes. The suppliers list is really useful as it outlines what their strong point is or unique selling point. A thoroughly enjoyable reference book. Really useful for running my craft classes. Super, thanks! [...]
on 19 May 2014
Tried a few recipes and its easy to follow, but I would say that it could do with a bit more detail about how the end product will turn out. Ie: sometimes the consistency is too hard or soft. The body butter is literally rock hard if u leave to cool for too long, but it doesn't tell you how long to leave it out
on 6 August 2015
Really impressed. Most books in this genre do not explain how to use gentle preserveatives (if you want too) which is an important factor if you want to gift your homemade potions.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 December 2012
I love this book so much! It's great for starting out doing your own skin products. The book has a great introduction taking you through various ingredients and at the back some great links to websites where you can buy what you need. Lot's of great recipes. I highly recommend it. If the amazing photos in this book doesn't inspire you, nothing does!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 March 2013
Another great natural remedy book for beauty which everyone seems to be into at the moment. Bought it for my Sister who really loved it. It came quickly in the post and in perfect condition.
on 23 February 2013
loads of recipes, step by step photos. beautifully presented, one of the best books around in my opinion a joy to use
on 31 December 2011
I make my own skincare and there is a distinct lack of books that offer proper recipes. This is a Great book, good selection of recipes that are easy to follow. Definitely recommend