Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 April 2011
This is not in fact a "Hardcover" [Amazon have now ammended the description].In terms of content I was dissapointed. I've never liked the time travelling aspects of Slaine and having him as Robin Hood just feels wrong. He doesn't don green tights and win archery contests, but Slaine vs The Normans is still too anachronistic for me. The plot is a bit all over the place and not particularly interesting. The art is Clint Langley ink, coloured by Dondie Cox, following on from Greg Staples paint. This is before Langley's incorporation of photographic images. None is as stand out gorgeous as the Invasions art. Scriptwise, this book is less interesting than "Slaine: The Horned God" , and a lot slimmer too.
on 11 August 2015
Another great Slaine book. I found the fact that the style of art changed a few times during the book a bit distracting. In a way it took away from the atmosphere a little... you get used to one style of art and then all of a sudden it changes. That being said, all the artwork is great and it is a good story too.
on 6 June 2011
i ordered this off the strength of being a Slaine fan. TO me the book is a good little short story. Dont get worried about the 'robin hood' aspect to the story it isnt cheesy it goes well along the idea of Slaine representing the many aspects of the horned god and how he still manifests in later folklore. As usual Mills does his homework and we dont get a man in green tights or the classic Robin Hood myth. The story it self goes along with the modern day assertion that the norman invasion was bad (not what we where taught at school!!!) And Slaine is here to show the folk the ways of the godess. theres an interesting angle with Niamh and the anti Christian sentiment was a treat due to the way pat mills explains how opressive the religion perhaps was in those dark times. I only gave this 4 stars due to the misleading artwork on the front you do NOT get the impressive Langley art work that we got with the previous Slaine novels. That said the artwork is still top notch i just think its cheeky that the cover artwork is not what you get.
on 30 October 2011
This Slaine book is one complete tale(with a short bonus story at the end). I read the stories in Slaine:The Lord of Misrule book in their seperate parts when they were originally published in 2000AD in the 1990's. I found reading the story in one sitting in this book a more enjoyable experience as this book flows very well despite the artist changing a third of the way in. I really enjoyed this book and I am now planning on re-reading alot of the other Slaine stories in one sitting. I think Pat Mills stories work best being read in one go rather than in the seperate 2000Ad progs. I have also found this to be true reading other Pat mills charachters such as Nemesis, The ABC Warriors and Defoe, they work best read in graphic novel form. This is an excellent graphic novel. I loved the imaginative story and fantastic art.
There's also a very honest page written by Clint Langley(the main artist in this book) about how he got the job on Slaine and his feelings about not being able to do full painted art.
on 27 October 2013
One story that I had missed when I used to read 2000ad. What can I say, it was awesome, the art work was superb so was the story. Some very adult themes and concepts so not really for kids. The only bad thing I can say about it was I wish it had been longer. Read it in one session laying in bed on a lazy Sunday morning. To sum up get this it's class.
on 8 November 2012
What can you say about Slaine that we don't already know. He's an axe wielding psycho who revels in open slaughter.
Mills' writing is it's usual brilliant style, full of the verve and hunger you expect from the led character then pair that with Langley's sublime artwork and you have a feast for your eyes and mind in your hands. I love the way Ukko's portrayed and Slaine's brutish self is given life in this book, plus the artwork is truly magnificent. If your a Slaine fan or even just a curious reader, buy this. It is brilliant
on 15 June 2014
This book is a great twist on the Robin Hood story. 2000ad really top the benchmark for all aspiring graphic artists and storytellers.
on 10 August 2013
Massive slaine fan great read great art work great price
Very happy. Very quick delivery from the vender 2000ad fan for life
on 14 March 2014
Slaine is outstanding in this book, well written and drawn graphic novel, enjoyed reading it a classic read once again
on 17 August 2015