on 10 November 2010
As I am now on my, er 5th or 6th website and the latest one is on its third permutation, boy could I have saved time and money if Paula's book had been out back then - before I made my mistakes!

This book explains all the jargon in plainspeak, it offers comment from some of the leading players out there, and gives great checklists at the end of each chapter. It really is wonderful. The advice on white space and the elements you need on each page is really useful, but for me, it is the explanations of the terms that make this a winner. As a technowuss, it has really helped. And now I know those lovely little icons that go at the front of the url in the search engine are called Favicons. I am off to make mine now!
on 9 February 2011
I feel I must give this book a poor review as a warning to others who may have misunderstood the title, as I did. Despite some commonly known good advice, it did not show me how to build a website in the way I imagined it would. In fact it read like a Conference of the type that does a lot of talking but provides nothing in the way of practical teaching.

I last built a website in 1997 using HTML with a good instruction manual, and when asked to create a site for someone recently, I chose this book as I thought it would give me a step by step guide on how to use a modern day package. I would have been happy to buy the software suggested, but there wasn't anything like that

"White space" and facing an image inwards on a page, can be found in every proper web design book along with advice on hosting and domain names. The advice about BT and other providers was available on their websites for anyone to access.

There is lots of information on marketing, e commerce etc, but no matter where I looked, I still couldn't find the information on how to create this wonderful site.

I really can't imagine who this book is aimed at, but as I have since found out, if I want to create a successful website, then I must buy a book to accompany the software of my choice.
1212 Comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 November 2010
If it's a website you want to create then this is the book for you. I love the step by step approach written in a straight forward easy to follow style. An on-line business - however great the business idea - needs a successful website and I only wish I had come across this book a year ago. I would have saved so much time and learnt twice as much. I recommend Create A Successful Website whole heartedly.
on 22 September 2010
I mean what I say, with this book, anyone can create a successful website.
I have dabbled in many different sites and I have learnt as I have progressed - This took time and I encountered a few errors on my way.
With this helpful, easy to understand guide, You can produce a site to be proud of. You can do this without having to make the errors I have done in the past.
Step by step, insightful comments on particular topics, layed out in a clear fashion and with lots of guest comments from true professionals.
If you want a decent website, you could take the easy way out and pay someone to do it for you...Or you could create something awesome yourself, something to be really proud of.
You do not have to have a huge knowledge of the web or web design, it's all here. I really mean anyone can do something brilliant with this manual
Create A Successful Website - Now Anyone Can! Totally recommended!
on 9 March 2011
I found this book to be invaluable in helping me to set up my new website. I had a bespoke website done for me at the cost of thousands of pounds which may I add is almost ineffective because I do not have full control of it. After reading Paula's book I have gone away and created my own website ( I'm totally non techy by the way)
and I am thoroughly delighted with the results. The confidence this book has given me is immeasurable - I would never have envisaged this time last year that I would be able to set up an ecommerce website on my own, but with the help of this book I have accomplished just that. I would like to say that the author of this book deserves all the credit for putting together this wonderful and easy to follow book. I will be recommending it to my friends and I will be telling them that the information is presented in such a way that it is easy to understand and easy to follow and that you do not have to be 'techy' to understand the content.

Jacqueline Irvine
on 17 September 2010
I was struggling to set up my own website before this gem was recommended to me! This book literally holds your hand and guides you step by step in a very clear and concise manner and empowered me to get working on my website! Well worth buying!
"A fabulously well-written book with excellent tips and resources, makes a great gift to any new budding entrepeneur or business, love it! "

Antonia Mariconda- Author, The Cosmedic Coach, Business Woman
on 16 May 2013
This book is quite good. It is very handy with telling you orders to do things in your business and fulfills this very well. It also gets to the point and gives some new insights. I am not sure about the days it gives to do the tasks as it would be more like a month or two to achieve them - this is normal though for any business so no real criticism there. Well written book. It is a bit self important with words in places , noticeable at the start of book more so perhaps , but this did not bother me but might others - we are all a bit English probably for our own goods ! I suppose its good to elevate yourself and your ability. No disrespect to the author but it could be handy to future books for the author should she see this. Of course its likely I may no be agreed with potentially which is no problem for me- a compete outsider who does not know the author in any way is the best book reading checker for future I'd say.
on 19 August 2011
It seemed to me to be more of a sales pitch and how to blind people with science. I was looking for a more technical approach. This wasn't it. Sorry. I'm sure it's a very good book otherwise.
on 5 April 2011
Super-useful book which takes you step by step through the process in layman's terms. By the end I was twitching to get going on what had previously seemed a daunting task.