Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2011
Isabel Losada's The Battersea Park Road to Paradise opens with a tour of her home following the flow of energy with a range of Feng Shui experts. She invites the reader to join her as she walks across hot coals on the Anthony Robbins weekend, struggles through the 10 day silent Vipassana retreat and journeys through the Amazonian jungle to meet a shaman.

Isabel writes with a good dollop of skepticism before embarking on each experience and she shares the good and bad with her readers. She tells it as it is. If you like your affirmations and are trying to just "be" more in your life, this book will give you a lift, some ideas and definitely some laughs.

There are a few passing mentions to a man Isabel fell in love with and if like me, you hate to finish a good book until you have another one lined up, you can read a true life love story in her book Men! and at the same time pick up some fascinating insights into what men really think. The Battersea Park Road to Paradise
on 22 May 2012
Well, what can I say! I have read all of Losada's books and each have got me thinking in various ways as much as they have got me to laugh out loud as she brings you to reality with a bang!
This book reflects Losada's deep, meandering layers of Spiritual and philosophical understanding, which is coated with her very down-to-earth humourous take on life as we're living it in today's digital, consumerist world.
Through her findings, she brings about an acute understanding that there is indeed an 'i' which is beyond our physical bodies, our minds, our planet. This 'i' is our Soul that connects with the Universal Soul and not only does she get to this understanding- she talks us through it, taking us with her on this fascinating journey.
Well Done, Isabel- you are a star!
on 9 September 2013
A book that doesn't fit into a genre. Intelligent, entertaining, honest and inspiring. If you've ever wondered about life and how to live it , read it. Even if you disagree with the author, you will find yourself asking questions of yourself and the way we live life in the developed world.
on 11 September 2013
It may be strange to end up feeling like you like the author of a book you've read and would like to have a chat with her but this is how I felt at the end. The various things that Isabel Losada tries out in her search for wellbeing (eg - Tony Robbins seminars, meditation, Feng Shui, ayahuasca...) are all things that I have known of but never done. She does it for us and reports back! Thanks!
She structures her book using the traditional Chinese 5 Element system which is also something I have long thought would be a good premise for writing a book (not that I am an author myself) so I was immediately intrigued. Her honest and personal accounts of her experiences were interesting and informative both of the experiences but also gave me a sense of her as a funny, intelligent and deep person - an urban professional woman of today who seeks after an ethical way of being and a profound understanding of her place in the world.
on 22 May 2013
I found this incredibly dull, heavy going and with zero humour. I kept on going purely because I hate to give up on any book once started. There is no insight or enlightenment here - try another author if that's what you're looking for.
on 2 February 2012
I had previously read and enjoyed "Battersea Park Road to Enlightenment". However I found this book too self indulgent and possibly even unsafe. The book starts off well (I enjoyed the chapter on Feng Shui)but it does get bogged down. The silent meditation chapter goes on and on, and the Mooji section is even more tedious.

However the reason I have given only one star is because of her final chapter related to Shamanism. I thought this was truly atrocious. Had she actually done any research on shamanism before heading off into the jungle? Why on earth did she think she needed to take a dangerous mind altering drug to experience a shamanic journey? If anyone is interested in Shamanism a far better read is 'The Way of the Shaman'. My opinion is that she has given a reckless impression of Shamanism. This has coloured my whole perspective of the book - she is just dabbling in many different things without truly having an understanding of what each of these techniques or philosophies are all about. My advice to read with a very large pinch of salt.
44 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 March 2013
Isabel Losada writes with humour and honesty about her quest into the 'real her'. On one level, it could be simply described as a bit of a smorgasbord of spiritual practice, but underlying this is a serious theme. What does it mean to be human? Who are we really? In the midst of the rather extreme, occasionally painful (and often very funny!) experiences the author has, there is an enduring idea - that there is more to every person than meets the eye, and there is a part in all of us that connects with something bigger - if only we will take notice of it! So even if you have no desire to attempt some of her experiments (and some should definitely come with a health warning!), the abiding message that each human has worth and significance is well worth taking on board.
on 9 April 2012
This is the second of Isabel's books that I have read. I've thoroughly enjoyed them both and I think I've learnt from them too. She's a brave woman who sounds great fun and is open to all sorts of new experiences. As I went through the book I noted some of the people she mentioned so that I could check up on them afterwards (but she notes all this in a glossary at the end anyway), as I wanted to find out more for myself. She covers a range of new experiences and takes the reader through them all step by step and we follow her through them all chapter by chapter. It really made me think! A great read.
on 15 May 2011
I came to this book already biased since a previous work "For Tibet, With Love" is one of my all-time favourite inspiring books. While that book will always be special to me for the heartfelt feelings it evoked this is a different kind of book, something I read more for entertainment and fun, yet I still believe both books deserve a five star rating. In particular for me the most interesting parts of the book were the detailed accounts of experiencing an Anthony Robbins seminar and a meditation retreat, both things I have been curious about for a long time. I have listened to several Gil Fronsdal podcasts about retreats and they sound like wonderful growth experiences - but after reading Isabel's account I now know the physical pain involved in sitting so many hours a day would outweigh the benefits for someone as pain-averse as me. The thing I like about all Isabel's writing is her authenticity - you get to read about the real person and their real reactions not a facade created to be more popular or sell more books. There is also an interesting combination of being very open-minded (more than I am - I am very skeptical about feng shui which is covered in the book) yet still not being gullible, of making up her own mind and having interesting opinions. Jim Rohn once said "let your decisions be the product of your own conclusions" and it's interesting to read Isabel's thought processes and reflections after she has completed all the experiences in the book in the final section. I lack the way with words to do this book justice so I will close by fully recommending this book and just suggesting that afterwards you consider "For Tibet, With Love" too. Already I look forward to reading whatever comes next for Isabel - after seeing the Martin Sheen film "The Way" on Friday I had the thought "I wish Isabel did the 800 km Camino de Santiago pilgrimage walk too I would love to hear her opinions about it!". For shy souls like myself who don't undertake too many adventures in life having Isabel do cool things and reading her account of them is the next best thing!
on 16 September 2013
I actually thoroughly enjoyed this book. It wasn't until I got to the end that I realised that all the characters were 'real life people'. It is a fascinating book and I will read Isabel's others too. It actually got me wondering if I might not give it another read, as it is quite a 'deep' subject matter, but easy to read. I would recommend this to anyone interested in 'New Age' or wanting to find out more about the subject.