Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2014
This book picks up from the first and doesn't let go. It trundles along and slowly builds to a great (temporary) conclusion.

The appearance of a character from the parasol protectorate was a nice treat and perfectly used.

A joy to read. Bring on no3!!
on 22 August 2015
Another brilliant read. Starting to meet some of the characters which play such a large roll in the parasol protectorate. It's a shame we don't here from more of the class mates later. They have such great characters. But still a good back read if you started with the parasol and custard
on 11 January 2014
This book was absolutely fabulous it is one of my favourites I mean vampires, werewolves, finishing schools for intelligencers all I could possibly want I have already pre-ordered waistcoats and weapons the next in the series this is the perfect book oh and I like the fact that it is set in Victorian times too!
on 10 August 2014
Don't get me wrong its a fun read on a rainy day or the beach but taxing it is not. Neither the characters nor the plot require much concentration from the reader. Everything is simple though entertaining. If the drift into formulaic continues though the next ones will head straight into boring.
I still enjoyed the ideas and characters, they are fun to read, which saved the book from a two star verdict. Read it just for fun and if you haven't paid the full price and you'll be happy.
on 26 February 2014
Great plot, great world and an interestingly developing story arc.

I'm really enjoying this author's work. It's such a consistent environment - and I desperately want Bumbersnoot to have a bigger role in the next one. Please?!?
on 6 November 2013
Gail carrier books are always worth reading. This is the second in the prequel series to the soulless books, and is very amusing, introducing younger versions of characters.
on 2 January 2014
Another great book from Carriger! This young adult steampunk has great characters, good pace and plenty of tea. I would definitely recommend it!
on 18 April 2015
I love Gail Carriger's books, they never fail to entertain and this is no exception, don't read this if you haven't read any of the others in the series or the Parasol Protectorate series, it will make no sense at all but if you're already there, this won't disappoint, I loved it, probably more than I should have really! Oh well I'm a big kid I guess!
on 24 March 2014
Quite addictive reading. If I could change anything it would be to have the whole series published so I could read them back to back. As it is..I'll have to wait.
on 5 March 2016
Really enjoyed it but it works your imagination hard with lots of made up words and concepts. Hard to pick up without having read first book