Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 December 2013
It's been a while since I read Under The Never Sky, but beginning Through The Ever Night it feels like I haven't been away from that world for long. The story does pick up a few months since Aria and Perry have seen each other. Aria has been forced to find the Still Blue and Perry has been leading the Tides through a horrible Winter. Perry and Aria finally reunity although they pretend to be acquaintances, they have to do this as the Tides don't trust Aria as she's half dweller. Aria still needs to find the Still Blue, and Perry is doubting himself.

I thought Through The Ever Night was a strong sequel to Under The Never Sky. The story is particularly intriguing. I liked seeing more of the rich, imaginative world that Veronica Rossi has created. I really thought the characters Perry, Aria and Roar were much better developed than in the first book. The only thing that I could really fault is that there wasn't enough of Perry and Aria together. I love them together and they were mainly separated in this instalment. I thought Aria was a much more stronger character, despite what she's been through. Perry had also matured, he seemed a softer person, but stronger at the same time.

Veronica Rossi's writing seems stronger than in Under The Never Sky. I can't wait to read Into The Still Blue to see how this series ends.
on 25 July 2017
I love this book!!! I have read all 3 books 3 times.
on 11 August 2015
This series is amazing. I was a Hunger Games/Divergent fan but this is now my favourite trilogy ever. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 7 February 2013
Once I was in the world of Under the Never Sky, I didn't want to leave. So much so that as soon as I finished the last page of it, I immediately picked up Through the Ever Night and continued my journey through Aria and Perry's world.
Under the Never Sky really confused me on my first attempt at reading it, but the second time around everything fell perfectly into place - I fell in love with the characters, was enamoured with the world-building and really enjoyed the story that Veronica Rossi built.

Through the Ever Night is much darker than Under the Never Sky, as things start to get pretty serious for both the Dwellers and Outsiders. Relationships are tested, the darker side of humanity emerges, and the threat to the surivial of the Tides really increases the tension in the story.

All the characters I liked from the first book were back, as well as some really good baddies - there's nothing better than a despicable villain, and Ms. Rossi's are fabulous. I particularly liked that Aria and Perry's relationship didn't just turn into all butterflies and roses, and they were tested in several ways, and don't spend the whole book mooning over each other.

I did mention in my review of Under the Never Sky that I hoped various parts of the world-building would be revealed, such as how the world came to be split into Outsiders and Dwellers, and in Through the Ever Night there are more details on how the aether works, the tribal interactions and clashes and a little more about Reverie and the realms, but still enough was held back to keep me curious for the third installment.

I forgot to mention in my review of Under the Never Sky that I enjoyed the various paranormal elements too - although I don't consider them really paranormal, but more connected to the post-apocalyptic effects of the changes to the world. However they really came into play in Through the Ever Night, and it was fascinating to find out more about them.

Through the Ever Night was dark, addictive, intense reading and once again I couldn't put it down - I even considered pulling the emergency brake on my train when I was 95% done as I couldn't stand the idea of not being able to finish before I had to put it down!

As a dystopian / post-apocalyptic series, Under the Never Sky is one of the best ones that I've read recently, and I'll be eagerly awaiting the final installment next year.
on 17 February 2013
I remember when I read Under the Never Sky, I felt a little disappointed, yet I couldn't remember what I was disappointed about until re-reading my review. All I really remembered was reading a book that I really enjoyed. So after reading a number of positive reviews for Through the Ever Night, I was excited to read it myself. And I loved it!

The Aether is behaving unpredictably. Winter is over, and so the Aether should be calming down, but instead, it's getting worse, with storms striking every few days. Finding the Still Blue has never been more important, lives depend on it, so Aria makes the decision to go off and search out information about it, with the help of Roar. Now Blood Lord of the Tides, Perry has to stay at the compound and look after his people, whose lives are getting all the more difficult with the damage caused by the Aether. However, the Tides are beginning to doubt Perry because of his association with Aria, and Perry discovers leading the Tides isn't easy.

Aria and Perry don't spend as much time together in this book as they did in Under the Never Sky, as they both have different responsibilities, but they're both finding their individual tasks more difficult than they thought. It was brilliant to see each character away from the other, seeing just how strong they are on their own, yet just how much they feel for each other, as proved by how they struggle with the separation.

Seeing Perry with his tribe is just wonderful. No-one could care more about a group of people, except maybe Aria. He has a tough challenge ahead of him, and it's brilliant seeing him take up his role and taking it so seriously, every single option thought through, and doing what he feels best for the tribe, despite sometimes being disagreed with. We get to meet or get to know better members of the Tribe, and find out exactly how the tribe works. Being Blood Lord isn't just something that comes to you with a chain, it's something that has to be earned, through the loyalty and trust of the tribe's people. You can't help but feel proud watching Perry tentatively take his first few steps as Blood Lord.

Aria has come on leaps and bounds since her days in Reverie. She's stronger, more determined. She is more of sure of what's right; no matter who a person is, doing the right thing for them is what Aria is all about - Outsider and Dweller alike. Roar and Aria get on so well, they're such fantastic friends, and it's just wonderful the support they give each other at various points of their journey. Unfortunately, I can't talk too much about what their task involves, because it's kind of spoilery, but I can say we do meet a few blasts from the past, as well as a few new people.

I am so thrilled to say that the reasons behind the Aether and the Unity are actually explained in this book. I didn't really understand why things were the way they were when I read Under the Never Sky, but thankfully, Through the Ever Night gives a thorough explanation of all that happened in the past. Which is necessary because of the events that happen in this book. There is a great amount of action in various ways, and lots of excitment! A race against time, hugely sad moments, and powerful relationships! It's fantastic!

An awesome sequel, and I am SO excited to read Into the Still Blue, the third and final book in the trilogy! If you loved Under the Never Sky, you definitely need to read Through the Ever Night!
on 5 March 2013
Under The Never Sky was one of my absolute favourite reads of 2012, with Through The Ever Night my most anticipated sequel of 2013. I literally counted down the days until I could read it. It quite simply, blew me away.

Aria and Perry have been separated for far too long. Aria has struggled to build a life for herself outside of the only home she ever knew - Reverie. Perry must rise to the challenge of Blood Lord for his people, and prove to them that he can lead and protect them. When the lovers are finally reunited, it is not as the end of their anguish like they thought it would be. The ache of separation is gone, but new perils face them.

Perry's tribe will not accept Aria - even less so if they knew he loved her. Soon he will be forced to choose between them. And Aria knows there may come a time when she will have to leave Perry in order to save his nephew. All the while the sky above is them is angry and unsettled.

There wasn't a single point in this book where I felt able to put it down. This is one of those books where you go to bed planning to read a chapter or two. Then you glance at the clock, realise two things: it's stupid o'clock in the morning, and you're bursting for a wee. It's that good. Honest.

Aria isn't the same girl we met in Under The Never Sky. She is not frail, tired or useless. She is a strong young woman who knows what she has to do, despite what it may cost her. This time it is Perry who is struck by fear and doubt.

Through The Ever Night is packed with action and suspense and swoon-worthy romance. It is a truly remarkable book, and the perfect gateway to the final book in this tremendous series.
on 13 May 2013
Through the Ever Night is a fantastic sequel to Under the Never Sky. Aria and Perry have spent some months apart, and we see them reunited. Perry takes Aria back to the Tides, of which he's now the Bloodlord. While hoping that his people will accept Aria, he's doubtful. But I don't think he has any idea how bad it'll actually be.

We learn more about the cause of the devastation of the world. About three hundred years before, a solar flare corrupted the earth's magnetosphere, causing the aether storms, and bringing about the Unity, where through a form of lottery, people were brought onto the pods, the rest being left to fend for themselves outside. But now, with an increase in the storms, which sees them occur more frequently, even in summer, not even the pods are safe anymore.

Farms and woodlands are being destroyed cutting off the food source, and the ocean is not much safer for the fishermen. Things are very difficult for Perry, and with the Tides perceiving him to have chosen Aria over them, Perry knows he needs to find a safe place for what remains of his tribe. Being Bloodlord is a lot harder than he expected.

There's a race on for the Still Blue. A rumoured place with blue skies and no aether storms. Outsiders and dwellers alike want to find it. But it seems only the lucky ones will make it, the rest are being left behind. An awesome rescue sees the two groups having to come together and I can't wait to see the results.

At times I was anxious read this book. Perry and Aria are separated again and I worried a love triangle was on the cards, in the form of another girl for Perry. If this had been the case, I honestly don't think I could have continued on with this book, it would have been too frustrating. I had to stop reading and look to Goodreads friends for confirmation, and thankfully, no love triangle forms. Sometimes, I can enjoy a love triangle, but this most definitely wouldn't have been one of those times.

Soren, who we hadn't seen since the beginning of Under the Never Sky makes a reappearance in this book, and I found him quite enjoyable. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the future, he has great potential as a guy I'll love to hate lol.

This series has become a firm favourite for me. I love the world that Veronica has developed and I love the characters that she's brought to life. I'm already looking forward to reading these books again.
on 2 April 2013
Rossi never fails to impress me, first with Under the Never Sky and now with Through the Ever Night. This sequel has given me hope again, it doesn't matter how many disappointing sequels there are out there. You will come across some that will never fail to amaze you. Such is the case with this one.

I think the best thing about this book is the relationships amongst the characters. Rossi did the one thing most authors are too scared to. She has a platonic relationship between a guy and a girl, the one thing that authors are scared of (apparently). Friends can love each other without having feelings for the other. Really. I am so tired of friends in love triangles or whatever and I absolutely ADORE the relationship between Roar and Aria. It's as good as the one with Perry and Roar.
Both are in love with another person and it's as clear as that. No messed up feelings. No nothing. And I am so glad for that because it gives me a better chance to enjoy Roar's character. He is so different from Perry. Perry is serious (not in a brooding way) because he has tons of pressure on him and he is always trying to do what's best. Roar follows his heart, he does what he needs to but he is a loyal friend and he is hilarious. He knows how to lighten the most serious situations. I just hope that nothing happens to him in the next book (me being paranoid).

There is a lot of character development as well. It makes me so happy to see that each character has improved in their own ways. Perry learns how to be a true leader throughout the book. He isn't perfect and he isn't an amazing leader in the beginning the way some people magically tend to be in YAs these days. He learns! Same with Aria, she develops into a better character (not that I had any problem with her before).

One of the things I don't understand is why people think that authors who kill characters are brave. It's not taking a risk if it's a useless death. Yes I agree that sometimes someone needs to die but sometimes authors tend to kill for no reason Suzanne Collins). Rossi didn't do this and thank god for that. This is the sign of a good author, someone who can write a great book without going about killing people.

Also she doesn't end the book with a cliff hanger. She ends it how authors should end books in the series. She solved the problems we were dealing with in this book leaving a bit of room for the third book. Perfect.

I think I am kind of sad I read it so soon. This means I'll have to wait a WHOLE year for Into the still Blue. But I believe in Rossi and I know she will make the wait worth it.
on 23 February 2015
Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi is the second book in the trilogy which started with Under the Never Sky. That book introduced us to this world and these characters. I remember absolutely loving Under the Never Sky when I read it several years ago. It felt addictive and emotional and incredibly exciting.

Unfortunately for me, that same level of emotion and excitement wasn't quite there when I was reading this sequel. I could see that there were lots of several very tense scenes, lots of people being reunited and being separated but I couldn't quite bring myself to feel very much about these comings and goings. And I can't quite put my finger on if it's the writing style that let me down or if it's just the huge gap in time between reading the first book in the series and this book?

The following review will have minor spoilers for the first book in the series, Under the Never Sky, but will not contain any spoilers for Through the Ever Night. If you have not yet read Under the Never Sky and would like to, I would suggest not reading any further!

Through the Ever Night takes place directly after the ending of Under the Never Sky and Perry and Aria are reunited after the explosive events of Under the Never Sky. Perry is now the Blood Lord of The Tides and Aria is being blackmailed by Hess to find the location of the Still Blue with Talon, Perry's nephew, being used as leverage. Perry and Aria are determined to stay together and work with each other to find the Still Blue in order to save Talon but also to save The Tides.

But what neither of them realise is how much things have changed. Especially for Perry who now have hundreds of people depending on him to lead them into safety. Because things aren't great for them right now. They're facing starvation and uncertainty with the Aether throwing down storms that threaten their very existence. And while Perry might have thought the hard work was done when he became Blood Lord, it's actually a lot more complicated as he must earn the respect of those he's leading. And none of them are all that keen to accept Aria as one of them.

What I found interesting about this book is that the challenges that are placed upon Perry and Aria help each of them to see that it might be better to be with other people - other people who share their special gift, or other people who would be more acceptable to their families and communities. These things, I thought, helped them both to see that love is hard and that it's going to be difficult but that they what's important is the choosing to be with someone during the good times and the bad.

A lot happens during Through the Ever Night. There are lots of new twists and alliances made and I thought it was an interesting second book in this trilogy. I'm hoping to read the third book very soon as I'd love to know how this story will end and I hope the best for these very intriguing characters!
After really enjoying Under the Never Sky I was excited to continue reading about Aria and Perry's journey in Through the Ever Night. This story picks up immediately after the last one ended and I was thrilled to see Aria and Perry reunited. Of course, that doesn't mean things are going to be easy for them as a couple. In fact, they're going to have to face a lot of adversity, especially from the rest of Perry's tribe, when he tries to bring Aria home with him.

For me this series is all about the characters, we've seen them both grow up a lot since the beginning and I'm loving the people they have become. Perry has taken full responsibility for his tribe, it's something that sits heavily on his shoulders but he will do whatever is necessary to protect his people. He isn't perfect and makes some pretty major mistakes but you always know his heart is in the right place and it's very difficult to fault him because of that. I love that he isn't afraid to ask for advice from people with more experience than him but that he still trusts his instincts even when it means making difficult decisions. There was a moment towards the middle of the book where he had me worried but I should have trusted Veronica Rossi and I was pleased with the way things worked out in the end.

Aria has also come a long way since the beginning of the series, she is much more confident in her abilities and has come to accept who and what she is. She has worked hard training with both Perry and Roar and is very much a survivor but also someone who is willing to fight for what she believes in. She has Perry's back but she doesn't want to make life more difficult for him and when the rest of the tribe turn against her she makes the hard choice because she knows that Perry won't be able to. As much as I adore Aria and Perry as a couple I also absolutely love the friendship between her and Roar. They have become almost like brother and sister and I love seeing how close they are and how they are always there for each other. It isn't often that we see true boy / girl friendships in YA, especially ones where there isn't even a hint of romance between them and I think that just makes what Aria and Roar have even more special. I love that the author hasn't introduced a love triangle here, that's such an overused trope so it's great to see someone go against the grain.

I don't want to say too much about what happens in this story but there are some surprising twists that you definitely won't see coming. We get to catch up with some of my favourite side characters from the first book (Cinder and Marron in particular) as well as spend time with some new faces. There are shocking and absolutely heartbreaking moments (that I'm still hoping will be resolved in the final book!) as well as some really sweet and emotional scenes. I'm just loving this series and can't wait to see how Veronica Rossi ties everything together in Into the Still Blue.