Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 September 2017
I'm really not a fan of "undead" stories but this was recommended after finishing a different series. I meant to download a sample but accidentally (one click, I guess) bought it, and couldn't stop reading. It's a love story with a difference, and that definitely pulled on my heart strings. Loss, disruption, trying to pull your life together again, meeting someone you connect with in a surprising way, (and the fact that he's an old fashioned romantic doesn't hurt!) All themes most of us can relate to at least in part. Unlike other YA I've read it is set in a real world, in a real city, describing streets I've walked and aromas and views and feelings I've experienced and I think that played a big part in my enjoyment of it.
Reading the product description I thought I'd found another demon/angel YA. I was intrigued and wanted to read it but I thought I had sussed out what Vincent Delacroix and his kind were. Boy was I wrong!!!

Amy Plum created a unique story that kept me going until I knew everything. Set in Paris her style of writing had me believing I wasn't in Kansas (actually the Uk if I'm to tell the truth) anymore, but in a little charismatic cafe on a french Rue, observing the characters sat on a bench opposite me.

I immediately felt I could relate to Kate, a girl happy to go out and enjoy night life; but who, given the chance, would much rather curl up with a good book and a steaming cup of coffee on one of the artistically architectural streets of Paris.
When she meets Vincent he's shrouded in mystery as an individual. But as a reader I kept trying to pick up clues that would tell me which could he be, of the magical candidates I had selected. Instead of becoming clearer, as I read on the clues confused me and the layers of mystery multiplied! Leaving me somewhat baffled but even more determined to find out where this was heading. Admittingly and rather frustratingly, Vincent Delacroix was not inclined to reveal his secrets to me or Kate for a while, but when he did we had a great shock, and an even stronger desire to know more.

I can only conclude by saying that Amy Plum created a unique story set on the most perfectly chosen stage. Every page emitted strength of character, artistical beauty and history that only Paris could offer. All this only only complementing and adding more to the story and it's characters.
By the end my mind had traveled to Paris only to be awoken by the sound of BigBen. Now I want to physically go there myself to soak in the atmosphere and imagine with open eyes the story I have read.

If you like this: I have read the sequel Until I Die and strongly recommend it. I would also suggest the "Fateful" series by Cheri Schmidt, which have a fairly similar style though somewhat softer than the strong beauty of Die For Me. Similarly I would also recommend considering the more modern and sarcastic alien love story "A Lux Novel" series by Jennifer L. Armentrout; and the lethally marvellous series "Existence" by Abbi Glines where love must conquer death, and death must conquer love.
on 19 September 2012
I love this book, I could not put it down from the moment I started reading it - it kept me guessing, as to what will happen next!
on 11 May 2011
I got this book on a bit of a whim because I liked the look of the cover, while the blurb was quite interesting and I'm usually a sucker for a bit of romance. Typically of a YA paranormal romance, it has a fairly sweet heroine and a strong, handsome hero. Untypically, it is neither about Vampires or Werewolves - a definite plus in my view because I think I've read one too many of those now. One of the book's strengths is when you discover exactly who/what Vincent is so I won't give anything away! Brownie Points for originality!

I liked Kate, the main character, a lot to start off with as she had lost both of her parents in a tragic accident and so automatically I was very sympathetic towards her. I also felt like I could relate to her in how she was independent and was content with losing herself in a book or visiting the many museums that Paris has to offer, while in contrast her sister, Georgia, was a social butterfly and a party-goer. However, as the book progressed sometimes my sympathy for Kate swayed. To be honest, I just think that she cried way too much and it was getting a bit irritating. Often she would state that she did not like to cry infront of anyone but I think by the end of the book she had cried to almost every character at some point. Also, I felt that she became a bit Bella Swan-esque in the way her life suddenly revolved around her love interest, although to be fair as her parents had both died I think she had more of an excuse to feel sorry for herself!

Vincent, her love interest was also another character I couldn't decide upon. He was very handsome and a rather sexy Frenchman and I liked his light-hearted humour and caring attitude. The only problem with him was that he didn't have a single, little imperfection! Sounds a bit backwards I know and some of you might think this is a good thing but he just seemed too unbelievable! He had no flaws and I felt a bit let down because the narrator described him to start with as to having some sort of "bad-boy" vibe - wrong because he turned out to be utterly perfect! The whole romance between Kate and Vincent started off much too quickly as well and it was basically a "love at first sight" kind of thing. I am not a huge fan of this kind of love story and I would have preferred a bit more of a build up to make their relationship seem much more realistic.

On a more positive note the setting was absolutely superb. Paris was an excellent choice for this type of novel and I am now going to keep an eye on any other YA books set in Paris! It improved the romantic element of the story, and although a love story in Paris might seem to be a bit of a cliche, in this instance I think it worked because of the paranormal twist. Another plus was the action in the novel which slowly worked it's way up to an interesting fight-scene, but a downside was the villain. Lucian had so much promise to be a great villain but the author didn't seem to include him enough for me. There was definitely scope for a bit more!

Overall, there were good things and bad things about Die For Me which made it both easy and enjoyable to read and quite annoying at the same time. The author's style of writing was relaxed and uncomplicated which suited the fast-moving pace of a plot that peaked at a tense though slightly predictable climax. I felt it was a bit Twilight-like and some of you may see this as a positive while others a negative. I'm of the latter group and so I gave it a 3 out of 5! It's not amazing but it's not rubbish either, so if you're looking for a light-hearted read that's not too complex then you've found it in this book.
on 14 September 2012
This book was amazing, it really didn't take many hours to finish because it was just so difficult to put down! So my husband was ignored and the housework was forgotten because I was Kate and I was in Paris with the revenants (being a Kate myself certainly helped with that idea!).

In the story Kate, along with her sister Georgia, has moved to Paris from America to live with her grandparents after her parents were killed in an accident. Kate is a quiet girl who spends a lot of time alone reading and is still coming to terms with the loss of her parents. Georgia, however, deals with things in a different way - she is outgoing and has a great social life. It is Georgia who suggests that Kate should leave the house to do her reading so that she might actually meet people, when Kate takes her advice and meets the handsome Vincent she has no idea how much her life is about to change.

I absolutely loved the revenant/immortal idea, it was so different to other books I've read and it made a refreshing change to the vampire and werewolf stories I read a lot of.

The romance between Kate and Vincent was enchanting and exciting, you can really feel their connection as you read through the book. There is also something that I can't quite put my finger on about Jules (one of Vincent's fellow revenants) - he flirts with Kate a lot and I have a hopeful feeling that something more might be revealed in the books to come. I really liked all the characters in this story, except the bad guys of course, and I look forward to finding out more about them as the trilogy continues.

Speaking of bad guys, the ones in this book are seriously dark and sly. I particularly enjoyed reading the action scenes in this story, I could picture them so vividly and it's a good job I can handle a bit of blood and gore as there is plenty of that involved.

This is a fantastic book that had me gripped from the first to the last word.
on 1 December 2011
Paris is extremely well described and gave me the feeling that I had been there myself. Amy Plum's descriptions flow easily between the difference of day and night in the city of love and I loved every minute of Kate's being there. However, I do feel like sometimes, being in Paris was pushed aside in favour of Kate's relationship with Vincent. I think I would have preferred if these two things have coincided and for the atmosphere of Paris to have had an effect of the two main characters.

I immediately liked Kate. With both of her parents dying, she had been through a hell of a lot at the beginning of the book and because of this, I felt really sorry for her. Kate is extremely grief stricken and doesn't really know how to cope with life in general. She is a big reader though and immerses herself in a world of literature, which is pretty much how she escapes from dealing with her feelings and what is happening around her. As a character, even though she does hide away for a little bit, Kate is outspoken and strong which were two things I loved about her. Until Kate meets Vincent, she is pretty sure of herself which was a great thing to see, even if it is short lived.

Vincent, unfortunately, just didn't hit all the right spots for me. While he is supposed to be insanely hot, it wasn't described well enough to make me believe it. I did understand what Kate saw in him eventually but I didn't get that first, initial attraction with him. I certainly didn't have that instant book boy crush like I have had with others. The relationship build up between Kate and Vincent wasn't long enough for them both to have the feelings that they were supposed to have for each other. Maybe more so on Kate's part. Vincent, after all, has been around a hell of a long time so must be really lonely and I can understand that once he knew he liked Kate, his feelings were magnified. Although Kate insists on getting to know Vincent, this could have been given a bit more time and for their feelings to develop more and make the relationship more believable on the whole.

I loved the idea of revenants as this isn't something that has been overdone in the YA genre or much at all for that matter. The idea behind revenants was well explained and while some may say that there was too much information given, I think it set the scene extremely well. As there are more books to come, there should be no need to go over much of this again. I also love the history aspects of the revenants. The concepts, history, dates, mythology as well as what other people think of zombies was particularly exciting and interesting for me. These aspects of the book explained a lot about feelings that other characters, mainly secondary characters, had and why they act the way that they do now.

Even though I did have some problems with this book, I couldn't put it down. I still loved it and for a debut novel, it was pretty damn good. I am excited for anything else Amy Plum writes and will definitely be carrying on with this series.
on 6 March 2017
Just a really average book.
The YA market is flooded with books like this and it takes a special book to really make a difference, unfortunately there isn't anything special about this.
The book is nice, the characters are sweet but the storyline is a little flat. I won't bother with the rest of the series.
on 3 May 2011
"Die For Me" is the debut novel from new author Amy Plum. The first thing I noticed was how easy to read this novel was - it sits very comfortably in the young adult paranormal genre and didn't read as a debut. The writing flows very well and I turned the pages with ease, managing to finished it in just a few hours.

"Die For Me" focuses on the life of young heroine, Kate, who has moved to Paris with her older sister Georgia, after losing their parents in an accident. Kate is naturally devastated and is finding it difficult to move on with her life. But after a while she begins to venture out into Paris, even if it's on her own, to the relief of her grandparents. While on one of her many book reading jaunts to her local cafe she meets the mysterious and beautiful Vincent...

I really liked Kate in the first half of the book, and not because she's a total bookworm like me who likes to read in the bath for hours on end, but because she's sweet, intelligent and thoughtful. Her grief of losing her parents is moving and very realistic. Unfortunately after about half way through Kate begins to lose her individuality to become a replica of so many other teenage female protagonists I've read, especially with regards to the choices she makes. The story also travels a well trodden path and Ms Plum opts for safe and predictable rather than fresh and original - a great opportunity lost in my opinion because "Die For Me" started so well.

The absence of teenage angst and bitchy school girls is refreshing, and although Kate does go to school, the story focuses on her life outside the classroom. Of course there are aspects that root it firmly in the YA forum, such as some of Kate's thoughts, feelings and decisions, and the fact that she's 16 years old. For the most part Kate has a good sense of who she is...until she meets Vincent and begins to move towards a character who has to have a boy to make her life worth living, such as this quote demonstrates:

"Although my head and heart were leading me in two different directions, I was certain that I didn't want my life to resemble what it had felt for the last three weeks: a drab existence void of color, warmth, and life".

This quote follows the three week break-up of Kate and Vincent (after only knowing each other a few days). I realise Kate has had an awful, traumatic experience of losing her parents, but Kate has two loving and warm grandparents and gets on well with her sister, who loves her, so it didn't sit well with me that to move forward and live a happy life she had to have Vincent, unfortunately this becomes more common as the story continues. I wish the author had kept Kate on the path of independence.

Overall the characterisation of the supporting cast is pretty good - I liked all the different personalities, especially Jules for his mischievous, naughty behaviour - I think I actually liked him more than Vincent - but I didn't really get to know any them that well as the story focuses mainly on Kate and Vincent - I hope more of the characters play a bigger role in subsequent novels.

I really enjoyed the Paris setting. The author does a wonderful job at describing the Paris lifestyle and nightlife. However, this too gets sadly pushed to one side in favour of Kate's and Vincent's rather unimaginative and uneventful relationship. Although Vincent is described as gorgeous, he didn't make my toes curl. In fact their relationship didn't really set me on sexy "all hot and bothered" fire.

Another aspect which was missing was action! Its absence (until a scene at the end) was disappointing as this kind of story needs it, the relationship between the main characters just wasn't enough. When Kate finds out what and who Vincent is there is a lot if info-dumping too, which was frustrating and rather dull.

With regards to the supernatural aspect, Ms Plum does try and give a fresh and original take on the immortal in the form of "Revenants", who die as humans to awaken as Revenants to sacrifice themselves again and again for eternity to save the lives of mortals. Unfortunately, Ms Plum doesn't seem particularly confident with her explanation of what and who "Revenants" are as the use of other supernatural creatures are constantly used throughout the novel: 'zombie', 'ghost', 'guardian angel', 'demon' - I didn't like that so many supernatural creatures were used to explain just one. The initial description given would have sufficed.

VERDICT:

"Die For Me" is a good paranormal read but not brilliant. I wish there was a lot more action to keep the momentum of the novel moving forward and it was a shame that the story settled for predictable rather than fresh and exciting, an opportunity lost. However, because of the gorgeous Parisian setting and fun and interesting characters, I would still recommend it to those who enjoy young adult literature in this genre.
44 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2017
Having never read anything from this author before, I was really surprised how it had me enthralled by the first couple chapters. It had me wondering where each turn of the page was going to lead me. Hope the next book in the series keeps just as curious
on 19 May 2011
Kate and her sister Georgia move to Paris after the death of their parents, to stay with their grandparents. They both deal with their grief in opposite but realistic ways. Kate retreats into herself, whilst Georgia goes out, keeping up her party girl lifestyle from New York. This was a really interesting part of the story for me, because Amy Plum managed to describe these two pretty standard coping mechanisms without them seeming cliche or OTT, which I thought was very clever. Georgia's character was also very stereotypical, but done in a way that it to wasn't at all cliche, and you really liked her and sympathised with her even though it would have been really easy for her to be mis-written slightly and hated.

Kate eventually gets pushed by Georgia and her 'Mamie' to start going out more, and so begins to visit museums and read outside cafes, in very typical Paris fashion. I loved all the descriptions of the cafes and art galleries etc that Kate visits, they were all done very well, it gave you a really vivid snapshot of Paris, without feeling like Amy Plum was driving home the point that she'd set her book somewhere different, which I liked. Cue Vincent, the love interest. What I liked about this book the most was Kate's reaction to Vincent. It was so realistic. She was obviously attracted to his good looks, but at the same time she was wary enough to not go falling for him in an instant. I loved their sarcastic banter, it was a really great way to show their flirtation and the development of their relationship. In fact, I love the way Amy writes full stop, honestly I think it's fantastic, I just can't put my finger on exactly why, which I think is a good thing. There's something about some authors that means their writing just pulls you in from the word go, and Amy is one of these authors. Kate could be a bit paranoid at times, but then, most girls would be when faced with a beautiful and mysterious stranger. To me, it felt a bit like Amy wanted to re-write the Twilight Romance, but from a more believable, more three-dimensional, less annoying angle. It's not instant love at first sight, it's an attraction that develops, which was nice to see, and it was also nice to see the male being the more dependent for once.

I really loved the whole concept of the Revenants too, it was a refreshing and interesting idea. I loved all their individual backstories, which again reminded me a bit of Twilight, but yeah, better. It really helped you connect with the characters, and feel for them, but it was done in a nicely subtle way not an obvious "I want you to feel sympathy for these characters so I'm just gonna thrust their sob stories on you and hope for the best". Out of all the Revenants we get introduced too I really liked Charlotte, she was a fantastic character, really likeable. I loved Jules as well, I think I actually prefer him to Vincent-and I'm hoping their *may* be a bit of a love triangle developing there...

I really really expected Kate to have some, mystical supernatural power or destiny or something. It seemed to be subtly hinted at through the book. Now either, this is gonna be developed in the later books, or it was a clever ploy by Amy to mislead the reader. Eitherway it was cleverly done. I figured out a few of the plot twists, but I thought the way the whole story of the Revenants was released slowly, bit by bit was really excellently done, because it made you desperately want to keep reading it.

All in all, there were quite a few basic similarities to Twilight; such as the family who wasn't really a family, their traumatic stories of how they became to be who they are, Vincent's lack of previous relationships...plus they were all a bit obsessed with the idea of having a human girl in their midst..except for one. But honestly, the story was so fantastic and so well written, you are only fleetingly aware of these comparisons before you're sucked once again into the story. Kate is a fantastic character, really believable and realistic, and I really applaud Amy Plum on the world and the story she's created. It's so fresh, and vibrant, and new, yet retaining enough about the genre that it can be enjoyed by people who have loved books such as the Wicked Lovely series, the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices books, and yes, I suppose Twilight too.

I give this book a well-deserved 5/5 and I really recommend it to fans of YA paranormal romance, especially those who are maybe a bit tired of the standard vampire etc stories.