on 4 October 2011
I have about 400 books on Children; Childcare & Development & Education of 0-5 years and 5-8 years on my shelves - from wanting to DO THE BEST FOR EACH CHILD and doing a degree in Early Years Education & Childhood and THIS IS THE BEST & MOST COMPREHENSIVE. It arrived Friday and it has been difficult to put down or not read a bit walking past it !

Much needs to be flagged (I use coloured tags) as its so useful to anyone looking after young children Parents; Grandparents; Nursery Staff & Childminders & Nannies.

I do hope we soon receive the now 17 Early Learning Goals for Early Years Education - the sooner the better. We need to unburden the children of the current EYFS NOW !

Very HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to Parents; Grandparents; Nursery Staff; Childminders & Nannies
on 13 January 2012
What a fantastic book! Just like the previous reviewer, I have many books on childhood development, education etc etc ...but this book is one of the 'tops'. It covers topics from the newborn and over-stimulation through to the impact of too much too soon, as far as education in Britain...EYE OPENER (no pun intended)...I can not recommend it highly enough. Thank you to all the authors who have contributed to this book...
on 28 May 2012
I have never written a review on a book before but i felt moved to write one as the book is SUCH an important read for anyone working with children. I am nursery nurse trained and have my own children whom have decided to home educate as i just cannot abide the system we have in this country of insisting children start school when they are practically babies, and now, worse still, shoving a curriculum down their tender little throats. I wanted to read what other professionals thought, and am thrilled to see there are so many many people who are still trying to protect the youngest members of our society from being forced to grow up too early, and from being damaged by the incessant asessement processes. Thank Goodness!
Just read it!!
on 4 March 2012
Convincing series of chapters written by very well-informed authors questioning the government's approach to early years education. All educators - and parents - need to read this before it's too late and we lose a generation (or more) of children to the moronic system being imposed on children and their teachers. Essential reading. Should be the basis of government policy.
on 7 January 2013
Anyone studying child care or with early years age children (under fives) should read this book. The contributors are well known in their field and it is written in an easy to understand way. Challenges the current early years curriculum in a thought provoking manner
on 27 May 2013
I'm reading this because my child is 3. I don't think a lot of people question the school system in the uk, but I think more people should be aware of the politics driving early years education and care. This isn't just a book for parents of those children otherwise educated, but also for any service-users of the government's education system who have found it lacking or at fault. I think 'good schools' are put up on pedestals and so hankered after by desperate working parents. And as far as EYFS is concerned, well, they used to make bears dance didn't they, because it was possible. At the time no-one recognised the cruelty involved - but now we do. i think we'll come to see the early years curriculum in the UK in a similar light one day.
on 21 February 2016
One of the best books regarding how to interact appropriatelly with your children.

Kind Regards

Daniela
on 12 August 2012
I really liked the premise of this book and found some of the ideas fascinating. However I found the chapters a bit uneven and inconsistent, some of the authors seemed prone to sweeping generalizations which they claimed were backed up by evidence - for example Aric Sigman claiming there are studies showing a link between autism and tv watching in 40% of cases without explaining anything about how one could even start to investigate such a complicated connection. I think the book would have been stronger if it had focused on the literacy and numeracy goals for the EYFS and not got caught up in ICT and its supposed harmfulness for young children in all contexts (which has not been clearly demonstrated, despite Sigman claiming it causes brain damage). However, despite this it is useful book and I would recommend it to parents of young children.
on 21 October 2013
Excellent service! A very happy customer!
on 6 March 2015