TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 April 2011
I saw this book last week and thought I could resist but have given up and now have it on order.

I was speaking to the lady that owns my LYS and her complaint was Kate's face is not pretty enough in this knitted version to make her want to stock the book.

I was not deterred, especially after hearing that when she recently make a knitted Little Mermaid, the face went totally wrong.

I'm looking forward to doing the embroidery on the faces and those TOTALLY CUTE teeny little hats.

I think the Duke medals and stuff are going to be a lot of fun.

This is a fantastic idea for a book, a knitting binge and a keepsake.

I will update this review when I've got a couple of the figures under my hat.

I was so glad that it uses DK, I'm no fan of 4-ply.

I might also make the little dogs into key fobs or bag charms..... oH WHAT FUN !!!!!

____________________________

I have now received the book and am extremely happy with it. All the little clothes and the figures themselves are constructed by making 2 pieces. That means you won't need Double Pointed Knitting Needles ! How fantastic is that!
The increasing and decreasing methods are my favourites: K2tog/ SSK + KF&B/ M1F
As all the pieces (except for the shoes) use Double Knitting Yarn, that means you can get lots of colours from the TAPESTRY WOOL range at your local yarn store.
I'm so excited about this book because eventually I intend to use the pattern templates to create versions of my own family !!!
2 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 April 2011
i have knitted the entire royal family from this book plus a few separate queens & corgis for people who fell in love with it! it's really easy; the assembly takes longer than the knitting, but it's great fun sewing on sequins for medals on the men's uniforms. everything you could wish for including designs for guests' outfits (knit yourself in a snappy suit and a partner in top hat & tails!) and kate's blue engagement dress. plus a cardboard fold-out balcony for the royals to stand on. my grandson (3) is convinced prince william is postman pat, and the archbishop is a lady (despite the beard?!) but generally an unqualified success. ive also adapted the basic body pattern to knit other little dolls & fairies. ...cant wait for the author's next book on knitting noah's ark...
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 13 November 2014
I was thrilled at the prompt delivery of the book. I am only starting this project after Xmas so have no idea how it knits up. On reading through though, I can see I will have to scour the market for all the bits and bobs that are added to the figures, flowers etc. before I start.
on 12 April 2011
This is a really lovely little book! I haven't started knitting yet, but I certainly intend to for my youngest grand-daughter. I particularly liked the balcony which was in a pocket at the back of the book, so that you could make it up & display the figures. A lovely project!
on 20 April 2012
This book shows how easy it is to create small knitted dolls representing the royal family, but the outfits can also be made for small dolls that children already own and for which patterns may be hard to find. I like the clear instructions and attention to detail.
on 30 May 2011
Very amusing just to look at the pictures, but also a very practical guide to making dolls representing the leading people at the wedding, plus the corgis.
Fiona Goble has done a great job, but had to guess in advance what they would all wear, of course, so some of the uniforms and dresses are not what they actually turned out to be; however, judicious use of newspaper pictures of the wedding and different wools will get you there, if you really want to be 100% accurate.
A cheerful souvenir of a cheerful day.
on 17 April 2011
This is the most fun book I have ever bought. The dolls are small enough that each doesn't take too much time to make and the instructions are great! There is a bit of stitching and embellishing required, but given the special nature of the projects that is fine!
on 19 April 2011
Bought this book for my friend who likes knitting and is fond of quirky knitted items. They don't come much quirkier than this.
The book has full details of all the wool and accessories you will need to knit the wedding. Do bear in mind that the total cost, if you have to buy new, will probably be in region of £80 for all the characters!!!!!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 September 2011
I bought 3 copies, 2 as gifts and one for myself. The gifts were well received. I have no intention of knitting (yet) but love the fun and imagination that has gone into this. Brilliant fun. Well done Fiona Goble.
on 2 May 2011
I really love this little book. I am not a very good knitter but I found this very easy to follow. The finishing of the pieces is very time consuming but I really enjoyed it. I only managed to finish the bride groom and a corgi before the wedding but everyone at my big royal wedding party loved them.I will now knit the other pieces and will be able to use the correct colors now I know what they are. A great project for anyone who has the time.