on 18 December 2014
Very interesting little book indeed. Before 'sport' martial art, there was unarmed combat. It's great that we are able to get a look inside the martial artist mind of the 19th century. Not only does this book reintroduce us, as westerners, to a time when our recent ancestors had basically forgotten the 'old' European arts, as to how the student of that period would have seen the application of what became known as Jujitsu. With the advent of sport MA and the movies today, Martial Art has been demistified, but in the 19th century would still have been a very secretive art form trained by the few. Yes, I really enjoyed looking back through time and at combat techniques that are still relevant today as they were back then..."Elementary my dear Watson"
One person found this helpful
on 23 February 2014
I enjoyed reading this book and will be having some fun putting into practice some of its contents. As a stick-sparring and martial arts enthusiast, I can see that some of the tactics and manoeuvres discussed are relevant to modern-day life, but it was the overall Victorian stiff-upper-lipped quaintness of the narrative descriptions which enthralled me.
It is rather light in terms of content, but a fun and interesting addition to the library, and also to the mixed bag of techniques and ideal to try out when sparring.
...Or, of course, should ruffians and cads presume to besmirch the honour of one's lady companion!
on 21 January 2012
What a wonderful little book! It's bound perfectly with cut edges that really make it pleasurable to hold. The book itself is full of images of the martial arts moves being executed, as well as explanations and quotes from the original book. The martial arts style starts off as any basic self defense does, with over shoulder throws, disarming moves etc, then moves onto stick/cane fighting and other entertaining methods. Truly a fascinating read, and well worth the price I paid!
6 people found this helpful
on 1 February 2013
I am big fan of Sherlock Holmes and Martial Arts/Self-Defence and when I found this book, I was really looking forward to reading it! It gives you information on how to get out of certain situations and to defend yourself. Very handy! I have actually learnt some of the techniques in my martial arts class!
4 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2014
I am into steampunk and this is perfect!I also need a walking stick and the section on walking stick self defence is quite wonderful.
If for nothing else it is simply well illustrated and a window into a past that I wish still existed.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 March 2015
A fantastic little book from a time in late Victorian Britain when a gentleman never knew when he might be attacked by fiendish gangs of footpads! The author developed a martial art for the gentleman traveller based on his own wide experience and for a time it flourished in the UK. It has now been rediscovered and thanks to the film Kingsmen has reached a wole new audience.
on 9 November 2014
Interesting little book that is produced as if it was a large coffee table sort of book - you know the glossy, rich sort of book that looks good.
As to the content it is quite interesting and in its' own way funny. Not really that great as an instruction book as there are a few drawings per article.
I did enjoy reading it though.
on 22 February 2018
Handy book , makes interesting reading and gives good information.
on 5 October 2017
Its like reading a Sherlock Holmes story. Everything said would probably work.
on 11 May 2013
pretty good self defence from the victorian era, fighting with a walking stick, how to use a bicycle for self defence, I'd never thought of that one, I'd say value for money and the book is well made too, but if you are after more comprehensive self defence and can only afford one book go for Fairburns "How to fight" if you can stretch to both, then do.
One person found this helpful