Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 June 2010
What Billy described in his book about his childhood was hard to take in, he suffered as his mother and brother and sisters did, emotionally his description of life in his world was devastating,it made you feel, there was no way out.. numbing the pain... with alcohol and drugs....trying to destroy himself because that was the only way out... but somewhere in the middle of all this Billy found a way out,, Good God what a book,, his description of his Atacama desert marathon day by day .. you were just with him.. I defy anyone who doesnt feel humbled and touched by this book,, he is an inspiration to us all..
33 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2017
I think I was expecting something different from what i read. I was looking for an inspirational book on long distance running. This was sadly not it.

If you are interested in the trails and tribulations of a recovery alcoholic then this may be the book for you.
on 23 February 2015
Parts of this book brought tears to my eyes how Billy had endured his upbringing and the cruelty of his dad, I found it very harrowing. I also come from Farnworth/ Bolton so could relate to the places he refered to, and his mates which are very accurate. At first didnt like how it jumped from his upbringing, then onto his marathon but after a couple
of chapters got into it then couldnt put it down. It certainly opens your eyes to poverty and alcholic abuse and I hope Billy can lay his demons to rest.
on 16 March 2014
I was so touched by Billy's book the sad childhood and awful life he had and the drugs and continual nightmare he had, the story of Billy's Run and how it was written in sections was so brilliant harrowing too, I have never read a book in years but felt inspired to read this one, so well done Billy and wish him all the best with Bridget for the future
From Keith Rylance from Bolton Lancashire
on 14 March 2010
Billy's book is emotional, scary, funny and inspirational, and I just couldn't put it down, it tells of how he struggled to overcome the hardship of his abusive childhood, substance addiction, the extreme Atacama desert run (or as I saw it his race for life), and the change's in his lifestyle brought on by a thoughtful act and his beliefs
The excitement and fun of his new found freedom in his teenage years! For me this was brill!! It brought back so many long forgotten memories of Farnworth...it was like sitting reminiscing with an old friend. Billy's "no surrender" Attitude got him through the atacama marathon...I felt like I was there with him as he described his surroundings and emotions so well.
I came across this book by accident but it's a `MUST' read and I will read it again `Billy'. You're a Lancashire lad done good...well-done!!
Brilliant and captivating
on 19 June 2012
I met Billy following the Endurance Life Trail Marathon in Anglesey. He and three others had been invited to speak that evening, inspirational talks on endurance events. He really stood out for me, I was enthralled listening to him speak, a natural storyteller. His achievement in the Atacama Desert Ultra was remarkable but it is the human story that really makes this book such a compelling read. As many have said, once you start it's very hard to put down.
As I promised that night, I bought his book and settled down for what I thought would be a "rags to riches" type story, but it isn't.
I was prepared for the fact that it would not be entirely grammatically correct,he had said as much, indeed, he wanted the book to be his story, written his way and in his dialect. What I wasn't prepared for was the sheer brutality of Billy's upbringing. It was truly horrendous,and no children should ever have to suffer in that way, it really does bring tears to your eyes.
It obviously had a profound effect on him and led to the problems he faced, and still does face to some extent.
The story unfolded, I cried, I laughed, I was ocasionally appalled by his behaviour but touched at times too.He hides nothing. The wonderful Bridget is truly Billy's guardian angel, what an AMAZING lady.The strength and determination borne of the years of cruelty, poverty and conquering addiction are what led to Billy's amazing achievment in the desert.
A must-read if ever I knew one. I look forward to your next book Billy and yes, it would make a fabulous film! Good luck in the future Billy, wishing you and yours every happiness.Stay strong.
on 6 April 2011
i bought this book after trying to get it in the librarys but having no luck,once you start reading it it really is hard to put down,although it makes upseting reading at times and your heart goes out to the children who suffered such neglect and cruelty,and where even basic welfare is lacking,it is a fantastic story of overcoming so many obstacles and reaching what must have been such a gruelling goal.the book also has great northern humour and being from the same neck of the woods enjoyed all the references to places i remember growing up.ultimately a brilliant,sad,but uplifting read.
on 19 April 2010
Billy Isherwood captures your heart with this book. Memories of Farnworth come flooding back (if you are from Farnworth, of course). The parts about his childhood are very emotional, but then his achievements are emotional in a different way and I was moved to tears a couple of times. The ending leaves you wanting more - I can't wait for the next book..............BRING IT ON!
on 28 February 2011
Read Billy's book on the recomendation of my mother, and I'm so glad I did. Uplifting, harrowing, joyful, sad and so full of emotion is was very hard to put down. Being from Farnworth I could relate to some places and enjoyed the tales from Newquay, albeit with tears and sadness for Billy's life. It was an inspiration to follow the Atacama desert run through the book and you felt yourself willing him on to the very end.An amazing book and will look forward to the next one.
on 9 September 2015
What a fabulous finish to Billy's often traumatic young life. I don't know how he managed to run in the Atacama desert, his resilience is remarkable and it is a great achievement for him and a testament to his determination to succeed. Well done Billy, can't wait for your next book.