on 6 May 2015
Interesting but nothing you really need patterns for! Basically use what you have, whatever shape it is and put features on, simple! If you are a beginners it would be fine but for anyone who is creative, not so much.
on 15 January 2011
A wonderful book with a simple approach and a philosophy that means it doesn't have to be perfect - it's just great having a go. My daughter loves me getting this book out and we spend an afternoon making a couple of the characters. We now have a whole load and the dolls house looks a bit different with them all in. I've not made any reviews before but as this is such a great book to use, I thought I'd let everyone know how great it is. What I like is how the instructions are so simple to follow. The old clothes that get stains or the kids grow out of now get recycled for these characters and they look really effective - the more the colours contrast the better.
on 29 August 2012
What a great book for an intro into making quirky toys!
I am a total novice sewer, but I've already made 3 of these loveable creatures!!
I have customised some of their colour palates though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 August 2012
Weird and wonderful animals designed to be made out of old clothes. I rather liked some of them, notably the worms and slug and the rather cute cat and bat.
Others are a bit too odd for words like the most un-horselike horse I've ever seen! Some are easily distinguishable but they've been 'tweaked' to make them a misfit such as the koala with its long dangly legs!
This would be a great book for a sewing class at school, perhaps less inspiring for an adult toymaker
on 15 January 2011
I'm a great follower of "The Wonderful World of Bobby Dazzler", i've seen them with their wonderful creations at 'The Green Man Festival' and 'Camp Bestival', so when i heard they had a book out i just had to buy it. The photo's are really good with quaint guidance. All my family and friends had a little gathering one evening and made a wonderful family of new friends. I heard that "The Bobby Dazzlers" where in the process of creating an animation - WOWEEEE - i can't wait for that. I hope they bring out another book in the near future of their wonderful characters.
GET ONE NOW.
on 13 March 2012
I thought it looked different - it was- but not in a way I appreciated.
Some of the limbs etc., were very difficult to turn, let alone stuff and when I did manage it I loathed the finished article and tore it to bits and extracted the stuffing.

The bodies were too skinny for the head, and why on earth, wasnt the head made to fit over the top of the neck/body?, it was attached in the front and dangled.
I found these creatures completely charmless .
I will not be making any others- very disappointing
on 18 December 2015
We love this book! It has been so enabling for me and my children as we don't feel our creations have to be perfect. It is fun recycling old clothing and fabric scraps into these beautiful toys. They have been presents for friends' children and my daughters love the creations they've made themselves. Highly recommended!
on 18 April 2013
My daughters and I borrowed this book from the library initially, however we have decided to buy it because we use it so much, it was getting unfair to the other library users!! We are working our way through all the characters, and have made about half. Some are easier than others, bit you do improve with practice....I have noticed it is essential to follow the instructions exactly and not try to cut any corners, i.e. print off the patterns at the correct size and cut the fabric carefully otherwise you can end up with very spindly arms and legs which are hard to stuff. Also using an easy fabric helps, such as jersey and not cord fabric like we tried once and ended up with a very rigid misfit indeed!!

Really it is trial and error but so much fun and we found even the ones that went a bit 'wrong' were hilarious and quite cute in their own right. We are not short of friends who want to take them home anyway!

We have a sewing machine but my youngest daughter is nine and none of us are particularly good at sewing. We just have a lot of enthusiasm which I think is all you really need to get the most from this book. My little girl made the slug without using a sewing machine and it looked great.
on 8 June 2010
I thought this book looked really exciting as I love making creatures and toys from scraps of material and these look really fun. However there is more emphasis on a wide number of creations than there is on how to actual make them. The instructions are not as detailed as they could be, especially when it comes to stitching the head on. The book's photography of the products is perhaps taking a bit of poetic license compared to what a finished product might be - or is it just my (lack of) skills? Who knows.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 23 September 2010
Cute, adorable and darling are what I think of these unique and quirky characters. They need all your love and I know you won't be shy about coming forward to give them a cuddle whether you are two or eighty two. Go on, sneak one or two in bed when no-one's looking. There are 35 of these wonderful creatures to make. If there is a problem, it's going to be choosing which one to make. The book has a quirky character too - the templates are all hand-drawn and you can enlarge them to get the full-size patterns. Great stuff but you might find this method off-putting if you are used to traditional patterns, they might not be so precise. This review first appeared on Karen Platt's book review website.