on 1 September 2010
I bought this after trying one of the patterns (for baby booties) that I'd found published in a magazine. There are some lovely projects in here, all good examples of the simple, pretty scandanavian style which I really like. The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the projects use a nice range of techniques (applique, cutwork, embroidery etc).

The only reason I'm giving the book four stars rather than five is that all the templates - except for the booties that inspired me to buy the book - need to be scaled up. It's particularly annoying when several of them are fairly small anyway - seriously, why should I have to blow up a template for an egg cosy? Such a shame, as I'm sure I'd have made more of these projects by now if not for this hassle.
11 Comment| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 January 2011
This book contains elegant, achievable projects. I was keen to try several of them, and started with the floral scarf, which was much admired.
My criticisms are: the instructions are not always completely clear (and it can't be that complicated to describe how to make a scarf!) and some of the fabrics are difficult to source in the UK. To get hold of boiled wool in cream, you will have to boil an old jumper, and very thick cream felt is almost unobtainable unless you buy 5 metres, and it's exorbitantly priced.
on 11 July 2011
I'm relatively new to this type of craft work and having had a proper look through the book now I'm confident that there are projects that I can start of easily with and others I can work towards with a bit more time and effort. A nice variety of things to try.

Bit annoying having to scale up the templates for designs that are only that little bit bigger and perhaps could have been accommodated at their full size in the book. I found 1-2 of the explanations and diagrams for stitches in the back of the book impossible to understand.

But on the whole, very happy with this lovely book and can't wait to get going.
on 22 August 2011
I've just been on a grand tour of Scandinavia and have decided to set up my own crafts company, seeing the previous reviews this book looked perfect for giving me some new ideas. It has just arrived (extra speedy amazon delivery) and it looks lovely. Great variety of projects including bags, log roll, reindeer, christmas stockings, hats, slippers and embroidered linen collar. It also includes a lovely section on Soft furnishings. I would say the best thing about this book is that you have some christmassy bits included but its predominantly year round designs so if you wanted to buy just one book this could be it. The only reason I haven't given four stars is because.. I don't know it just doesn't feel 100% perfect, maybe some different pattern styles but I would give it maybe 4.9 (sorry that sounds silly). I can't wait to get started!
on 19 February 2011
Wow, a beautiful book !!
It is SO well presented... an excellent choice for anybody with an
interest in sewing, embroidery and/or Folk Design.
Simple projects but maybe not for the total begginner (?)
A knowledge of basic sewing and embroidery will help to make the most of it...
There are helpful clear instructions of all the embroidery stitches at the back and hey! like Clare Youngs says:
..."the odd wobbly line or few misplaced stitches all reinforce the charm"...
Excellent, Excellent photographs- Totally inspiring!
LOVE it! Already planning buying another copy for a friend.
on 23 November 2011
I am often disappointed by this type of book, with too many projects that are too simple, not to my taste or just plain awful.
This book is not like that at all, I love most of the projects, but better than that it is possible to take the designs and adapt them, use them as inspiration. I have used the embroidery designs on cushions, in the suggested colours and in my own colourways and been inspired by the applique to adapt and make my own design.

It is a beautiful book to look through and one I go back to again and again. This is the best craft book I have bought (or borrowed) by far!
on 31 August 2010
This is a brilliant book, full of ideas which may easily be transferred to so many 'makes'.The stitch guide is good for beginners and everything is clearly set out. The only downside so far is that I cannot source locally the range of felt colours and thickness used in the book which is a shame because these add to the authenticity and appeal of the designs, but I will keep looking!
This is a lovely book to add to anyone's collection.
on 16 March 2011
I just bought this book and adore it already. I haven't made any projects yet as I am in the process of moving to a new area, buying a house, looking for jobs - but I can see so many ideas in this book that I can't wait to make for my new home. The instructions look clear and detailed, though I haven't personally tried to follow them. I can well imagine mixing and matching the ideas, e.g. using an embroidered motif from one project to decorate a different project from the book. So many ideas, so little time!!
By the way, I've been buying from Amazon for years and have never written a review before but had to this time, that's how great this book is.
on 14 August 2013
This is such a beautiful book. The patterns in it are so pretty, easy to do and look amazing. Usually you get one or two patterns and then a book reverts to patterns that are not too pleasing to the eye but this book is a delight throughout.
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2013
Oh how I love this book!! The lovely bag on the front cover inspired me to order the book.It is so well written with clear instructions and many templates to make the projects. I keep picking up the book to look through it as it is a joy to look at. The projects are that bit different than the usual felt book and I cannot wait to to make the bag and the lovely baby boots. The embroidery really appeals to me and I am looking forward to having a go.Over all it is one of the nicest craft books I have seen for a long time.