on 27 November 2008
This brilliant knitting book is a must for every knitter's bookshelf. Having borrowed it from my local library, I couldn't wait to buy my own copy and have just ordered one. There are about 50 designs that vary in difficulty but even as a beginner I feel I am capable of quickly learning the techniques needed to produce the more intermediate items.

Examples of projects are as follows: lacy scarf, beaded rib scarf, quick to knit earflap hat, floppy-brim hat, leg warmers, pink tassel wrap, cowls, boleros, blue loop edge jacket, fun fur vest, sheepskin-look vest, weekend bag, moss-stitch bag, tweed handbag and scrap mini-bag.

There is something for everybody in here. Lots of the patterns are done with chunky yarn and big needles to make them quicker and easier. The instructions are incredibly clear with a superb Techniques section at the back of the book (amazingly I can actually follow the diagrams, which isn't the case with other knitting books I've bought).

Each pattern is very easy to follow with a helpful estimation of how long it will take to complete the design. And it reiterates the abbreviations each time which saves you looking them all up. All the abbreviations for techniques are then explained fully at the back of the book in the Techniques section.

I can't recommend this book enough for beginners and intermediate knitters alike!
on 20 May 2009
I bought this book on a whim after reading the other positive reviews, and I'm so glad I did! So far, I've only knitted one of the projects (the blue knitting bag) but I'm so proud of it, and I really like the patterns. Normally I get knitting books and discount most of the patterns because they're for kids, but I really want to make a lot of these patterns, which range from shawls and scarves to ponchoes and jackets to bags and purses. The book uses a range of wools, so you'll possibly already have some of it in your stash, but it's readily available, and the techniques section at the back covers everything you'll need to know to make the items featured. Highly recommended.
on 6 October 2008
I purchased this book finally after borrowing it from my local library 4 times!
It has clear colour photos of all items that can be made, and lists the yarns needed and more importantly the average time it should take to complete an item!
It has patterns for hats, scarves, bags, jumpers, gloves etc. Some easier than others, but I have enjoyed making several items already.
Recommend it for beginners and intermediate knitters.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 March 2010
This book was given to me as a birthday present, having been on my Wish List for a while. I have found that many of the books in this catergory have been disappointing, but this one made me feel like raiding my yarn stash and getting knitting right away. There are some Americanisms in it, but none that put me off. All I need now is the time!
on 12 January 2011
Super book, with lots of great things to knit. Really inspired me to get on with my knitting! Highly recommend! Only thing is some of the wool recommended is not available any more.
on 17 February 2011
I was eagerly awaiting this book after seeing the fantastic reviews but after getting the book I can only guess that the other reviewers have very different tastes from me. There aren't many patterns in here that I would do, perhaps 1 or 2. Examples of patterns I wouldn't do (and can't imagine anyone else doing, really) are: braided scarf (literally braiding yarn together), pom pom scarf (making pom poms and sewing them together). Not surprisingly alot of the patterns ask for super chunky yarn to allow the patterns to fall into the "no time" title, and there's not many other patterns if you wanted to use lighter weight yarn.
on 27 July 2013
Bought it to get some ideas for fairs and charity. For a beginner and probably too easy for some one like me who has been knitting on and off for years
on 8 January 2013
A wonder book of patterns to beat that stash that seems to have a life of its own well thought out patterns easy to follow
on 9 October 2011
An easy to follow book, with clear, exciting patterns. I have already tried a few, and the results are great. I'd recommend this book, especially if you like to knit with chunky yarn, or improvise by using a few yarns together to make up to chunky weight, as I did.
on 9 February 2013
Saw this in local library and it was an instant 'must have'. So many patterns and all really good. Would recommend it highly. Very reasonable too.