on 10 September 2014
Good story, well written. Will look out for this author again in the future.
on 27 March 2012
Some years ago I read Diana Gabaldon's novel "Cross Stitch", and since then I've been searching for an equally well-researched historical novel set in the Scottish Highlands. "Highland Storms" has the same ingredients. The romance between Brice Kinross and Marsaili Buchanan is expertly woven in between the drama of the history - the punitive treatment of the Scots in the years after the Battle of Culloden, every day life at an 18th century Scottish castle, and all against the backdrop of the gorgeous Highland setting. I could almost smell the heather, feel the cool waters of the loch on my skin, hear the cattle lowing in the fields. Well worth it.
on 22 November 2011
Brice Kinross - even the name just oozes hero status - travels back to The Scottish Highlands from Sweden to claim his estate, Rosyth, with his father blessing. The Jacobite family fled to Sweden during turbulent times, but now Killian is concerned that all is not well on the estate and it is time for his son, Brice, to take the reins.

Brice is such a strong man, kind and caring towards all of his townsfolk. He is not happy to find his family estate in such conditions and sets about improving standards for all who live on the estate and make Roysth thrive again.

Mr Seton - Estate Manager at Rosyth. Mr Seton is not going to give Brice a warm welcome. In fact, he is going to be trouble for him and is not going to let anyone get in the way of his plans. His sole control of the estate has seen the estate go into dis-repair and money troubles.

Marsaili - the young housekeeper at Rosyth. There is more to this young woman than her beauty and position in the household. She is not interested in the many suitors who try to win her over, but there is something about Brice.

I cannot forget to mention, Liath, another hero in this story. Loyal and faithful. I don't want to give anymore away about him.

This is the second novel by Christina Courntenay that I have read so I had high expectations from Highland Storms. Christina did not disappoint. She takes us back to 1754 in the remote Scottish Highlands, just as life is beginning to settle after the Jacobite uprising of 1745.

I enjoyed seeing how Brice went about winning the trust and support of his townsfolk, and Marsaili, after years of neglect at the hands of Mr Seton.

Plenty of romance and adventure in a remote location had me willing Brice to overcome the problems he faced.

This is a sequel to Trade Winds but can be read as a stand alone adventure.

Loved it!

5 out of 5!
on 24 February 2012
This is such a thrilling twist on a well-loved plot!
The main character, Marsaili, is introduced to us when a pursuer comes knocking at her door. Although the phrase, "They never give up, do they, boy?" passes in the first few lines, after several pages you realise what a sweet and lovable character she is.
Then there is the dashing Brice Kinross, who was previously seen in "Trade Winds" as a baby, (but you don't have to read that to understand this novel), an affected, but independent young man with a clear head.
Almost naturally, the two connect when he comes back for the first time since childhood, to visit his debilitating family home, where she works.
This isn't just a romance story however, it also includes some historical aspects, introducing the political intrigue of the time, involving revolts and a Jacobite pretender.
Dangers are faced and...well you have to read on.
This book is brilliant! Definitely worthy of the five stars I have given it.
on 10 November 2011
I have just finished reading Highland Storms.
I suppose there are a few stereotypical characters - the bad man, the beautiful girl, the handsome, well muscled hero who can ignore any injury, no matter how painful.
There's the boy meets girl but neither of them are willing to admit they have fallen instantly in love... boy thinks he's lost his girl; girl thinks boy doesn't love her anyway..... bad man ends up..... (well I'm not divulging that bit!)
But to bake a quality cake you need a favourite recipe, and I can assure you, Highland Storms is fit for a Baker's Masterclass.
It has all the right ingredients required for a scrumptious read - and the icing on the cake is Christina Courteney's wonderful ability as a writer of historical romance.
Highland Storms - highly recommended!

(Note: the author is known to me: however, this is a genuine personal review of a book I enjoyed reading)
on 11 December 2011
I've loved all Christina Courtenay's work and think this is her best novel yet. The handsome, blond hero is gorgeous, the fiery, beautiful heroine is the sort of woman with whom any female reader could identify, and both are totally believable characters. I found myself desperately wanting everything to turn out well for them.

What made this book for me, however, was the setting. Scotland just after the '45 was a troubled and dangerous place, and I got a sense of history as I read - I could hear, see, feel, touch and taste the story, see the barefoot, ragged children, smell the peat smoke, feel the cold water of the loch, hear the soft, lilting accent of the Scottish heroine. So Christina took me there, and I lived the story.

I'm looking forward to reading her next novel - set in Japan, or Scotland, or somewhere else? Wherever Christina takes us, she'll make us feel we're there.
on 30 October 2011
Highland Storms is the sequel to Trade Winds written by Christina Courtenay and the 3rd book that she has written.

We join this book with Killian Kinross's son Brice in 1754. Desperate to get away from the betrayal of his brother Jamie, Brice jumps at the chance to get away when his Father has the need for him to head from home to their Scottish highland family estate.

Upon arrival at Rosyth is clear to see that the Estate is not being run as it should and is falling apart around them and monies missing, Colin Seaton the Estate Manager has his own agenda.

The new Laird instantly notices the very beautiful red-headed and curvy House Keeper Marsaili. Spending half her time trying to move away from the advances of the local men folk she is somewhat surprised when she very much drawn to the Laird.

An unlikely pair as he's made it quite clear he is happy to be single, they quickly become allies which is just as well with so many enemies around desperate to get Brice to leave the Estate by any means.

Can Brice get control back of the Estate? Can he gain the trust of everyone that lives and works on the Estate. Can he second guess Seaton and stop him destroying him and everyone dear to him?

I was very excited to receive this copy of Highland Storms from the publisher Choc Lit as I really enjoyed Trade Winds and I wasn't disappointed. Christina has written a wonderful sequel following on with new family members but still weaving in old names and faces as the story develops and not forgetting a very devoted dog!

There is a gorgeous mix of adventure, romance and elements of humour in places all set in the Highlands of Scotland. Beautifully written with a very quick pace to the story (well I did read it less than two days!) that I just couldn't put down. Whilst I think I know the answer to this, I can't help hoping the Kinross family saga's continue! Can't decide who is the more dreamy of Hero .. Kinross the Father in Trade Winds or Brice in this novel .. both sound utterly yum!!

Thank you Christina for another fab story .. I'm fast being a big fan of your work!
on 8 March 2012
I've read Christina Courtenay's previous novels and loved them, so was thrilled that Highland Storms didn't let me down. I was really swept away by it. It was a Sunday and I actually had work to do, but once I picked this book up, the last urge to work left me.

Brice is a great hero and the plot moves along all the time, never allowing my interest to flag. The background is authentic and convincing and I feel as if every historical detail is correct. I could almost see the Highlands as I read.

Can't wait for the next.
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2011
Having already read and enjoyed Christina Courtenay's previous two novels, Trade Winds and The Scarlet Kimono, you'd think that I would have learned my lesson and left Highland Storms for a weekend when I had some uninterrupted reading time. But no, despite knowing that I find it incredibly hard to put one of her books down, I picked it up on a Tuesday evening and started to read. Although I did manage to put it down long enough to get some sleep on Wednesday night, my dreams were vivid, heather-coloured ones, full of dashing heroes running about brandishing dirks! And when I woke up on Wednesday morning and really should have been working, I reached for Christina's book instead and spent the rest of the day in the Scottish Highlands.

One of the things I love about Christina's writing is how quickly she draws you into the world of her books and Highland Storms is no exception. Rather than reading Brice Kinross' story, I felt more as if I were taking the journey alongside him, as he leaves behind his family in Sweden for a new and uncertain future running the family estate in Scotland. I moved about the family home with him and felt as if I really knew it and could feel its stone beneath my hands. Christina's descriptions are so good and work on all your senses. She'll have you smelling the peat fires, the sweat of the horses and the hay in their stables; feeling the wind and water on your skin; and tasting the whisky warming your body after a night out on the hills. Your heart will positively pound as dirks are drawn, you're taken captive and then later go on the run.

Highland Storms tells the story of Brice Kinross, the son of Killian and Jess from Trade Winds, and, coming from such impressive hero stock, Brice had a lot to live up to in order to convince in his own right. Happily, he's different to his father but no less appealing, and I especially liked that Christina didn't create a mini-me version of Killian but let Brice grow into his role on his own terms. I loved Marsaili's character and how she is strong and capable while under attack, rather than simply being a damsel in need of a rescuer. Special mention also has to go to her wise and faithful protector, Liath, who was another of my favourite characters in the book.

I don't want to give any more away about the storyline or the other characters involved but I can wholeheartedly recommend this as an engrossing read from an author who has become a firm favourite of mine.
on 20 April 2012
Although Highland Storms is in fact a sequel, it is not dependent on having read Trade Winds although, I really urge you to read it first if possible. Why? Well because the protagonist Brice Kinross, although just a baby in the previous novel, his background and birth in China to parents of Swedish and Scottish descent is an integral part of the story. It was to me anyway as I enjoy family sagas, in fact I would love to read more stories about the Kinross's as I was disappointed when the book ended. I have no idea though if Christina is considering another sequel. Do not let the fact that you have not read Trade Winds stop you from reading this though as it does stand perfectly well alone. Basing my expectations on the previous novel I was hoping for a good read with plenty of love and adventure that would take me away to times past for a few satisfying hours. It did not disappoint.

The hero Brice Kinross recently thwarted in love by his own brother and his childhood sweetheart decides that the time is right to take over his inheritance, the family estate Rosyth in Scotland. His father has been worried about the situation back at Rosyth for some time and warns his son that he may at first be unwlecome when he suddenly turns up to take over the estate. So first Brice needs to find out whom he can trust, bear in mind this is 1754 and since The Jacobite Rebellion the locals do not trust anyone, particularly strangers. His situation is not helped by the fact that Seton, the estate foreman, is a really nasty character and turns the locals against him, although it is thanks to him that the estate is in such disrepair and that they live in poverty. Brice as the laird feels responsible and soon sets about improving conditions for those dependent on him, he wants to see the estate thriving as it once did. Seton is evil and has no intention of letting Brice get in the way of his own plans for the estate. Unfortunately he is riled even more when he discovers that not only does Brice want his estate back but that Marsaili Buchanan, the young housekeeper appears to be becoming his ally.

Marsaili is a very independent young lady and works hard at being the housekeeper, as a beautiful young woman she also attracts unwelcome advances from men, especially the evil Seton. To ward off her unwelcome admirers she is guarded by her constant companion her dog Laith, who becomes very protective of his mistress if a man approaches her against her will.

The love between our two main protagonists builds slowly as both Marsaili and Brice have good reasons for not wanting to become romantically with anyone. They are inevitably attracted to each other but determined that what ever happens between them just to be 'friends'. Love of course tends to thwart all the best intentions but they have a lot of battles to face together first.

The novel certainly met my expectations with romance and adventure in a historical setting. If you enjoy historical romance then I recommend you give Christina Courtenay's novels a try.