Customer reviews

on 4 March 2015
Having bought this a while ago and then somehow losing it in my Kindle- this book was a really lovely and unexpected find - a bit like pulling a chocolate wrapper out from the back of the sofa and discovering it's actually a twenty pound note (although obviously discovering it was a wrapper that still had chocolate in it would be even better). It is hardly news that this award-winning novel is a brilliant read, and it's difficult to add anything useful to the millions of existing reviews but let me just say; I was hooked from the first. I especially loved how it opened with the secondary characters. In so many books the other characters are a bit of an afterthought - or just identikit caricatures - but here the entire cast was strong and engaging. I loved Rosie and Jason nearly as much as Jemima and Ben. Maybe an idea for a future book? Just a thought...
on 24 January 2016
Interesting story. Easy to read and enjoyable. Well written, fun reading. Would recommend especially for these cold winters nights. Looking forward to reading another of Jane Lovering's.
on 14 September 2014
Enjoyed it to start with, but started getting annoyed with it, the last 60 odd pages began to drag, but were sort of crammed with so much for the ending it made it more ridiculous and I thought not really relevant to the story... and I wanted to shake Jemima towards the end!
on 30 January 2011
This novel starts as it means to go on, with a great opening sentence (You know you're in for a bad day when the Devil eats your last HobNob)spoken by the heroine, Jemima. A witty, charismatic character who has a big secret which she doesn't want to share, Jemima meets her match in former rock musician Ben, who has a secret of his own. Who will admit the attraction first - Ben or Jemima? I was kept on tenterhooks as I waited to find out.

I can't discuss the developing story line of this novel without giving far too much away. But I will say this - when Ben finally opens up to Jemima, it's one of those of-course-why-didn't-I-notice-that-ages-ago moments, and I was really impressed. The clues and hints are all there, but they are so cleverly hidden that the reader (or this reader, anyway) didn't spot them.

The characters are great. They're all brilliantly realised and well-rounded, and I cared about them all. Well, apart from the villainess Saskia, whom I wanted to slap! Single mother Rosie and her baby son Harry are lovely. Landlord, disgustingly successful artist and sex god (he wishes) Jason is lots of fun. The hero Ben is sweet, vulnerable, totally gorgeous (ooh those tight jeans) and also completely believable. Since the story is narrated in the first person by Jemima, it is easy to identify with this heroine, and to want everything to come right for her in the end.

This story exemplifies the fact that when you fall in love you hand the beloved a loaded gun. Over the course of the story, Jemima and Ben learn to be brave enough to trust, and they're rewarded for it in the end. If you enjoy romantic fiction full of slightly risque but hilarious humour, clever plotting and characters who will live on in your mind, this story is for you.
on 12 March 2013
Loved this story. Had it on my kindle for a while and wished I read it sooner.
Story starts with a girl looking for a place to sell her jewellery where she wanders into a music shop in the back streets of York (UK) owned by a has been rock star.
Great story, loved the characters and the humour, well worth a read.
on 1 February 2011
Meet Jemima Hutton - Self employed belt buckle designer who lodges with her friend Rosie and Rosie's young baby Harry.
Whilst searching the streets of York for stockists for her belt buckles Jemima meets Ben Davies - One time Indie Rock Star who now hides in his little out of the way guitar shop.

Add Jason, the resident artist, Saskia, business owner (what is her hold over Jem and Rosie?) and hubby Alex and you have a mix of lovable characters all with their own secrets. Some deeper than others.

Ben and Jemima build up a friendship but are they really who they appear to be?

Both want to get closer and delve deeper into each other's past but that would mean sharing their secret. Dare they open up?

I enjoyed the way each character's story unfolded around a series of events that forced the characters to confront their pasts and, eventually, reveal their secrets.

This Rom-com is a real page-turner littered with funny one-liners. The clues are there, but not too obvious, making it a gripping read.

I didn't want to put it down...but the children had to be fed!

Look forward to more from this author.
I received a copy of this novel, from the publisher, for review
on 20 September 2012
This is the first book I've read by this author but it certainly won't be my last. In a matter of pages I was laughing and I loved the easy 'normal' relationship between the lead character, Jem, and best friend Rosie - totally believable. As for the male lead, Ben, well I fancied him, a real sign of a good romance! I flew through this book, dying to know what would happen next and was surprised a few times by the twists along the way. All in all, it was a great read that left me smiling. I'm suprised by some of the negative comments. There were a few minor errors that I think were probably down to sloppy editing but they weren't enough to take from my enjoyment of the story. I am a very satisfied customer indeed and will be back for more!
on 12 August 2011
I bought this book on the recommendation of a friend and was not disappointed at all.
The author describes it as a dark, psychological romance with jokes which is exactly as I found it to be and more. I found myself unable to put it down until I had finished reading it and the characters stayed with me for quite a while afterwards.
I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who enjoys a story that is more complex than the average romance with more than the requisite amount of twists and turns.
I am sooo looking forward to getting my hands on the next offering from Miss. Lovering, 'Starstruck' I can't wait.
on 6 May 2013
This was a book which i had downloaded since I got the kindle and two years later thought I better read it....boy I was glad I did!!!! Really enjoyed this book, we start of meeting the main characters Jemima, Rosie and baby Harry along with Jason and the evil Saskia.
This book, without giving away the storyline has some good twists, a couple which I sort of guessed along the way and a couple which took me by surprise. It was one of those books, whcih I didnt rush to pick up, but I was sat down woudl automatically pick up and read a good couple of chapters however towards the end, just didnt want to put this book down.
I feel that we get to know Jemima, and Ben ( the main guy in the book ) and that you want to see how the relationship is going to go however there are parts where you just want to shout and shake them to try and knock some sense into them. Aslo we go into Ben's past as this is a main part of the storyline, and we dabble into Jemima past, but again this is also one of the twist ( one of the ones I sort of guessed ).
on 27 April 2013
*Spoiler alert* so do not read further if you don't want to know!
I found it hard to bond with the male romantic lead, Ben, who was apparently stone deaf. And yet this bombshell secret wasn't discovered for ages. I once met a husband and wife who were both stone deaf. Trying to understand them when they spoke was a challenge - loads of slurring as if they were majorly drunk - so for me personally, Ben's total deafness wasn't believable. I was intrigued about Jemima and felt sorry for her until she ducked out on Ben and ran off to Scotland. At that point I thoroughly disliked her and felt as though the whole 'running away from self' thing had gone on a bit too long.
Overall a reasonably entertaining read.